Receivers: Marantz vs Yamaha

G-Rod

I've had great luck with a Marantz pre-pro.

The better Marantz models use Audyssey, which I like a lot.  Go on Ask Audyssey, and read about it.

Ask the dealer if you can take both home overnight. Try them both at length with the Klipsch speakers you mentioned, in the room you are going to use, in the position you think they will occupy.  Some dealers do this willingly.  I've borrowed speakers, three power amps, and an equalizer over my years in the San Francisco Bay Area.  I am now living elsewhere, and our local dealer offered to loan me equipment without being asked.  If your dealer is not familiar with this practice (some aren't), you may want to acquaint him with it.

If you get a receiver with "pre-outs," you can keep it and move up to power amps later.

Edited by garyrc
  • Like 1

I have owned a Yamaha RX-V995, RX-V3000, RX-V3300, and an RX-V2400. I now have a Marantz AV-7701. I still have the Yamaha 2400 and use it as a pre-pro for a Yamaha MX-70, which pushes a pair of Chorus Is. My Marantz pre-pro is hooked up to Aragon 200 watt amps, which power Klipsch RF-7s.

I liked all my Yamaha receivers a lot. The 2400 used to control my Aragon amps with the RF-7s. However, I feel it was clearly a step up when I switched to the Marantz. Comparing the Marantz to the RX-V2400 is not an equal comparison for technological reasons as well as price. However, I am enthralled by my Marantz and am certain that when I switch to a new pre-pro (probably many years from now), I will stay with Marantz. I agree about the benefits from Audyssey; I do not have the best version, yet cannot fathom how it could sound any better.  

If the Marantz receivers are as solid and advanced as their preamp/processors, I would go with Marantz. I also like the looks better than the new style Yamahas. 

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Would like to revive this topic now that it's 2017 as i just purchased a pair of RP-280F's a month ago now, will be buying the Klipsch 112 subwoofer within the next month, then upgrading my AVR.  After a lot of research over the past 3 weeks, I think I'm down to considering the Yamaha A3060 or the Marantz SR7011.

I want a receiver with great sound and reliability first and foremost.  Definitely good sound to go along with my new Klipsch speakers.  At the moment I'm leaning more toward the Yamaha A3060 but it's only drawback is it doesn't have Auro 3D upgradability where the Marantz SR7011 does, although I don't know if that feature is that big of a deal for me as they both have Atmos.

I realize everyone will reply suggesting what they own, but was just wondering if anyone has any further info to add.

Thanks

If my NAD T175HD ever takes a dump, first I would buy another NAD if "affordable".  Second an Anthem AVR or pre/pro.  Third a Yamaha AVR or pre/pro.

Truthfully, most of the mfr's upper tier AVR's are pretty top shelf and you really can't go wrong with any of the mass produced brands(Yamaha, Marantz, Denon, Onkyo/Integra).  Though I personally have not heard/read of any common problems with Yamaha reliability.

Bill

I like Yamaha, Denon and Marantz, all sound good if it's a decent model.

If you like home theater like me I would go for a model that has at least mid-level if not higher auto correction built in, I find the features to be fun and useful.

Again that doesn't say which mfg to buy, they all have a setup.  Klipsch don't need a lot of power which is nice in that you don't have to stress does it have 50w or 100w or 150w etc. 

On 1/22/2016 at 11:56 AM, The History Kid said:

From a Marantz owner that's driving a 2.0 reference configuration, I'm not all that impressed with them. There are some who prefer it, but I'm not one of them. Of the two options you gave us, I'd go with Yamaha - especially if it's the AVENTAGE line.

there is no difference in aventage until you hit the 1000+ series. the 6, 7 and 8 series cross to the rxv

which marantz do you have? they change sound year to year. with the time alignment right and graphic eq it shouldn't be that terrible for 2.0

the yamaha has even less of a power supply and is a lot less dynamic. maybe if you are running a dark speaker i could see it? maybe

i still haven't heard a yamaha receiver i like when driven hard

4 hours ago, racebum said:

there is no difference in aventage until you hit the 1000+ series. the 6, 7 and 8 series cross to the rxv

which marantz do you have? they change sound year to year. with the time alignment right and graphic eq it shouldn't be that terrible for 2.0

the yamaha has even less of a power supply and is a lot less dynamic. maybe if you are running a dark speaker i could see it? maybe

i still haven't heard a yamaha receiver i like when driven hard

This was over a year ago, before I had updated that room from RB-3's to RF-3's and before the room configuration changed.  I still prefer how my Emotiva gear and the Yamaha R-N500 that I have handle 2 channel better though.  The AVR in that room is an NR-1501 - and as soon as I find a cost effective alternative for it, it will be leaving.

18 hours ago, The History Kid said:

This was over a year ago, before I had updated that room from RB-3's to RF-3's and before the room configuration changed.  I still prefer how my Emotiva gear and the Yamaha R-N500 that I have handle 2 channel better though.  The AVR in that room is an NR-1501 - and as soon as I find a cost effective alternative for it, it will be leaving.

ohh the thin lines. completely different sound and performance from the SR series. 

you can find older receivers like an sr5007 for about 250 shipped mint on ebay. if you don't need true 4k support it's a great sounding receiver for that price point. i also have never liked the marantz thin lines 

6 hours ago, racebum said:

ohh the thin lines. completely different sound and performance from the SR series. 

you can find older receivers like an sr5007 for about 250 shipped mint on ebay. if you don't need true 4k support it's a great sounding receiver for that price point. i also have never liked the marantz thin lines 

It will probably be something else, as that rig only needs two channels and BT support.  I'm favoring the Emotiva BasX TA-100.  Especially since there's an ERC-1 in there already.

I don't think you can go wrong with either. My first 5.1 receiver 20 years ago was a Yamaha. A buddy of mine still has it in fact. I don't remember the model number. For the past 10 years I have had a Denon 3808CI which has done everything I could have asked for. I just picked up a used Marantz 7703 for $1500. One thing I like about Denon / Marantz is they have been in my experience very reliable and well supported. I would say shop around and get the one you can find the best deal on. I have decided I don't really care much for Auddesy or room correction software (perhaps XT32 will convince me) so I wouldn't let one or the other sway my decision.   

• Like 1

15 hours ago, The History Kid said:

It will probably be something else, as that rig only needs two channels and BT support.  I'm favoring the Emotiva BasX TA-100.  Especially since there's an ERC-1 in there already.

if you're staying 2 channel that would be an excellent choice

if you don't need 5+ ch you have a LOT more options bang for the buck wise 

I am a Marantz owner and still have my Yamaha in the closet.   I prefer the Marantz since it seems have more intuitive adjustments.  Frankly my ears do not detect much difference in sound.   I think the Marantz handles the sudden wild burst of sound effect better.    I have liked the fact that even  after several years I can still call tech support and get quick and quality tech support.

I am feeding a 9.1 system which has TSCM fronts in a custom built theater.   For music I prefer the 2.1 since it is more like being at a concert and less like a theater.