New TV

YK Thom

I realize this has probably been done to death, however, every year is a new ball (hockey - I'm Canadian and like a real sport), game.

What is a recommended 60-65 inch TV that is good quality and has legs for the next decade? Things have changed a lot and some of the classic brands may not be the ideal. My wife (bless her soul), is driving this. Since we moved and had new AV unitbuilt, our old 40inch Sony doesn't cut it any more. She wants a larger unit and being a good and wise husband of 28 years I am not about to let this opportunity slip through my fingers.

Any and all advice shall be greatfully accepted.

Trying to future proof any AV set-up is difficult at best - if not impossible.

Refusing to admit this fact continually points me to the Samsung 7100 series - ALL connections are HDMI 2.0, and HDCP 2.2 compliant.  <add> this set is also 240 hz - 120+120.

Reviews & specs for the 55 inch unit are found here - (also available in larger sizes such as 60", 65", 75", or even 85")

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_30555J7100/Samsung-UN55JU7100.html?tp=60890

Edited by Arrow#422
  • Like 2

The new LG Signature series... nothing will best them. The 65" OLED is HDR and will probably blow everything else off the map.

NO doubt, and for the money they'd better do exactly that.

1080P, 4K, OLED, 3D, etc………all compromises & debatable as needed options.

$1000 Vizio 60"?

$6000+ LG 60" OLED?

Pick your poison and, please, enjoy your purchase

4K content is still hard to come by, few things on Netflux, etc. The TV manufacturers also release some with the TV. I believe DirecTV is about to release a channel with 4K content, as well as their is the impending UHD blu Ray releases starting March 1, but I imagine going to be some time before we start seeing wide options of 4K content.

3D - Um, I'm not wearing glasses or other visual aids

4K - not enough content available to truly justify

4K - resolution is quite a negligible improvement over 1080p

OLED - reported issues, but I'm unaware as this price point isn't being considered.

So, what is a reasonably priced alternative?

1080p, smart, 60" +/- screen, that offers HDMI 2.0 and is HDCP 2.2 compliant with at least 120 hz to alleviate any 60hz stall / blur?

I may be wrong, but one will probably have to buy up & accept seemingly un-needed features (considering available content, etc) in order to get the 2.0 / 2.2.  Are these even needed, and when will they "really" be required?

Any idea on a  timeframe for format changes?

There will be over four hundred native 4k titles available by the end of the year... and the 4k upscaling is really pretty good.

No reason to stay away from 4k tech at this point.

Oled is definitely the way to go if quality of image, high dynamic range and color range are your priorities

Edited by Schu
  • Like 1

I picked up a 70" Vizio M series from Amazon before the holidays for $1,650 delivered. There are some good settings for it on AVS and I am extremely happy with it. I moved up in size from a 46" top of the line Sony. Granted the Sony was 4 years old, but the Vizio has a better picture. Cannot justify the extra money for Sony/Samsung/LG with the rapidly changing landscape in TVs right now. I used to look down at Vizio, but they have a great bang for the buck proposition.

My 2 cents.

• Like 2

I picked up a 70" Vizio M series from Amazon before the holidays for $1,650 delivered. There are some good settings for it on AVS and I am extremely happy with it. I moved up in size from a 46" top of the line Sony. Granted the Sony was 4 years old, but the Vizio has a better picture. Cannot justify the extra money for Sony/Samsung/LG with the rapidly changing landscape in TVs right now. I used to look down at Vizio, but they have a great bang for the buck proposition.

My 2 cents.

My Sony XBR 46 is only 10 years old and I still like it. There are no oversaturated colors, aspect ratio held to 1% accuracy, the color performance is accurately reflective of some of the poorly converted decayed films to DVD's, and it is holding up well to the onslaught of bean counters reducing the transmitted (OTA) bandwidth of HD and SD programs.

JJK

I really like my new 55" Samsung 4k TV and highly recommend it. People complain about lack of content but everything I watch looks much clearer than on my old 1080p Plasma, I'm guessing upscaling? Either way, if you're looking for something to hold onto for the next 5+ years 4k isn't really that much more and priced about where 1080p was just a few years ago.

Jesse