New TV

YK Thom

When I went shopping for a new TV I wasn't really looking for a 4k, it just happened to be in my price range and actually less than I was expecting to pay. For a few hundred more I think it was worth it and I'm glad I spent the extra cash. We watch TV a couple of hours every night before bed and like I said everything is much clearer than before, way better picture.

Edited by jjptkd

You get what you pay for. Most of the 1080 stuff they're selling through have crappy colors, crappy viewing angle, slow refresh rates, frame judder, slow smart apps, glowing orbs around the edges, etc.

I got a 65" Samsung JS8500 just before Christmas, before the price went up. It was worth every penny.

You get what you pay for. Most of the 1080 stuff they're selling through have crappy colors, crappy viewing angle, slow refresh rates, frame judder, slow smart apps, glowing orbs around the edges, etc.

I got a 65" Samsung JS8500 just before Christmas, before the price went up. It was worth every penny.

I second this.  I was going to get a lower down model a d wound up getting two of these.  Great TVs.  Didn't like the remote at first, now I love it.  A pointer with onscreen menus.  Picture is just great.  Even on my second TV with a really old DVD player and RCA inputs. 

A TV today is disposable.  I don't mind being behind a generation or so which is only the difference of a year or two.  It's much cheaper that way and I don't feel as bad about treating them like light bulbs.  

+1 on this, but that is my personal philosophy on buying technology and especially TV's, and it may not be yours.

I buy the size I want and go for good picture quality.  I don't even care if it has speakers because I am going to hook up my own 5.1 setup no matter what kind of speakers are built-in, so getting cheap built-in speakers is the first place I save.

I also do NOT buy top of the line.  The market will move, the "features" will change and I have gotten burned buying "future-proof" items only to end up paying for empty promises of "standards" that never were.

Buy a cheapie and hope it breaks after 3 or 4 years.  :D

Edited by wvu80

• Moderators

I picked up a 70" Vizio M series from Amazon before the holidays for $1,650 delivered. There are some good settings for it on AVS and I am extremely happy with it. I moved up in size from a 46" top of the line Sony. Granted the Sony was 4 years old, but the Vizio has a better picture. Cannot justify the extra money for Sony/Samsung/LG with the rapidly changing landscape in TVs right now. I used to look down at Vizio, but they have a great bang for the buck proposition.

My 2 cents.

Did the same thing a couple of months ago but in 65", love it.  Cheaper than some other brands with better spec's and and pretty future proof connections, pretty good for the price if you compare what you get. 

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-m-series-65-class-64-5-diag--led-2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv-black/3858039.p?id=1219606085774&skuId=3858039

Edited by dtel

sorry, i didn't read all the responses, but i wouldn't buy any tv right now.  i'm in your same boat, i really want one, but the new 4K blu-ray player are coming out and there is a hardware change to be able to accept the 4K.  i read only a few different write ups, but they "believe" our current HDMI size and shape connections will be the same, but a new HDMI might need to be made.  i think the ones at monoprice should be good, but no one really "Knows."

in the article it said most 4K tvs out now, can't and won't handle the new 4K players.  it has to do with the new format is going to 4K/60htz.  i forgot which tv, i think the latest samsung, can handle the new players but samsung will sell you a "upgrade kit" to hook to your tv.  i think LG said they will send a technician to your house and upgrade it on the spot. 

anyways, that's my 2 cent's good luck with your TV search!

• Like 1

Unfortunately that is not accurate information. 

An HDMI cable is just a dumb pipe. As long as it has the capacity to carry the video signal, then there are no issues.  All the new marketing for 4k compatible cables is just nonsense.  The only spec someone should be looking at when they buy an HDMI cable is the capacity size. To be honest, most HDMI cables people have should work just fine even with the latest 4k HDR TV's.

HDMI 1.4 could actually carry 4k signal, though limited to 8 bit). HDMI 2.0 was released to address 60fps 10 /12bit, etc and then later was updated to 2.0a for HDR. Essentially all the new HDMI does it upgrade the pipe connection to 18gps to allow for the increased signal size.  There will be no change in connector size and when we discuss these specs these are specifically hardware specs as again the cable is just a dumb pipe.

The new UHD players, at least the ones announced so far are using nothing more than HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2. As long as the TV is cable of supporting HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 you are golden (2.0a is normally just a software upgrade).  As HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2 is relatively new, prior to 2015 there were very few TV's that supported this. However there are numerous 2015 models out now that support both HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2 and nearly all 2016 models support both of these.

Stay away from OLED. Too many probs.

What are the problems?

JJK

Take a peek at the AVS forums.  Some peeps have returned 4 and 5 sets.  Banding, pink blobs , yellow streaks , you name it.

LG is not in this game it seems.  Just sell no matter what is wrong.

Lol a peek into the AVS forums on the video section will really give you a glimpse at how the latest and greatest gotta be good for the retailers.  $6grand and up isn't hard to do.   I'm in the same boat waiting on 4k BDP's.   My Samsung from 2010 is ok but it's starting to get a big pink/purple streak on the right side when bright or nearly all white sections of the video source come through.  Just hoping to make it until....

If it does go south I'll just get a decent midlevel price point unit top last another few years.  Some good advice in above posts IMO.  good luck!

Edited by 007nco

Stay away from OLED. Too many probs.

What are the problems?

JJK

Take a peek at the AVS forums.  Some peeps have returned 4 and 5 sets.  Banding, pink blobs , yellow streaks , you name it.

LG is not in this game it seems.  Just sell no matter what is wrong.

I will have to do that. That forum covers a lot of territory.

JJK

OK, now follow me here. You got to get into the game and be ready to play it right.

I have a nearly 3-year-old Panasonic 65-inch VT50 plasma which means two things -- it is one of the best and most accurate TVs ever made. Color accuracy and black levels are still reference quality. Unfortunately plasma has all but been phased out because of manufacturing costs and weight vs. LED and OLED, etc. And mine doesn't want to show any signs of wanting to go out on me. Good thing, it set me back $3500.

Now we get to your dilemma ... What to buy now? Considering the entire industry is about to hit a sort of Renaissance of quality, and more change, play your cards and money closely to the vest. I'd say pay around $2k or less for a 65- to 75-inch Vizio or Samsung and be ready to move it to a bedroom in 3-4 years. Right now you can get an 80-inch Vizio at Costco for just over $3k and I'd bet it will be eye-popping for a few years.

In three years or so you will see 4K as a new standard and Sony, Samsung, LG, et al will drop below $4000 for sets 75- to 85-inches. By that time you'll be ready to move your baby to another room or on to your kids. It is all market and R&D related. Make room for the new.

Just know when it's time to get into game, when to pass and when to play. Seeing how your wife is putting up the ante now, explain to her how you are going to be frugal now but only with the understanding you are going all-in down the road in a few years. Sell it to her big now and not twice.

NOTE: A lot of wives don't get new gear until you introduce them to it. But once they catch on, good luck getting it back -- think iPhones, iPads, etc.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

Older post...the new TV project did get kicked down the road a ways but we FINALLY picked up one last weekend. A Sony KDL60W630B.

Very nice and at a great price. Decided to stay away from 4k for now due to lack of content. Very pleased - motion is much smoother than the older Sony. Did compare Samsung,LG and Panasonic, but the Sony had the nicest looking picture (to our eyes), of the lot. 60 inches seems to be the perfect size for the living room. Looking forward to watching some English Premier League football games next weekend as well as the World Cup of Hockey which is coming up fast.

• Like 2