best old school multimedia amp

doc1623

Hello

I've got Forte 2s and Chorus. I would like to finally do the separate amp/preamp. I've looked at adcom 7700. I actually bought and had to return a adcom 7500 and gpt-860 combo (ebay). I've looked @ McIntosh but seems a bit excessive price wise. I just want a good solid 5/6 channel amp. That I can both listen to music and movies with. ( I know purist are gasping ;) but I do like to do both. I would like it to be like the Klipsch i.e. rock-solid and impressive...long lasting. Also, I've seen sites that sell older equipment. Anybody know which ones are more reputable.  Suggestions more than welcome  :) That's what I'm asking for!

How "old school" do you need?  I'm thinking of stuff that's appeared right here recently, although it's fairly recent gear.  

Very nice! but out of my budget! That's the main reason I want to go older. Plus I love computers but not in my amp! (not referring to the ATI) I have know idea..that's all new to me. I haven't really kept up with my stereo knowledge.

For both music and movies a nice avr may be a better choice.  More connectivity and streaming options.  What is the budget?

As low as possible :) but I'm in no real hurry so... probably up to 1k for now but that's more amp than I need. would be nice if I could get everything for that (i.e. preamp/decoder)

I got to say that's tempting. Is the sound quality there? Looks  like it's built like a tank! 

I've got no idea what those connections are though    :)

Edited by doc1623

I have some Adcom gear here at home.  The upper level stuff is nice.  The mid and lower level stuff is average at best.  Be sure you do your homework.

Any opinion on DJK AB International?

Or Adcom 7700, 7605, 7500

Edited by doc1623

"I've got no idea what those connections are though"

It's an XLR and 1/4" combi jack (both balanced or unbalanced).

The basic design is the same as the Leach, a very good sounding design.

So I'm guess there's an adapter or I'll have take it to a shop and change out for rca? I'm still looking for the preamp but I don't think it will have those :)

Well I got the steal of a life time, I bought a B&K 200.7  for $275!!! You wont come across that - it's not only a rarity - it's almost an impossibility at that price! However - depending on where you are located - someone has the 200.7 for sale for about $900 which is still a great value!!!! I think it's over in the Garage sale unless he's decided not to sell it. 

I think the OP is using his PC as a preamp.  Depending on his sound card - that will determine which adapters he will need.  If hes coming out of 3.5 jacks on his onboard sound he will need 3.5 to rca adapters, or 3.5 to rca stereo cables .....which I also have in abundance.