Crites' Cornwall Type D vs Klipsch Cornwall

jwgorman

Has anyone here ever compared the Crites' type D 2way Cornwall with the Faital Pro 1.4" driver to a Cornwall II/I?

When I saw the response plot of the Faital Pro driver and the horn I instantly thought it would make a killer 2 way and then I noticed that Mr Crites had been there/done that! :) 

So, conceptually I can see a lot of sonic goodness from that setup!

I am now using the Cornscala D style. Before that I had the Cornwall III. I like the sound of both but prefer the larger horn in the D. The Crites woofer seems to have a little more punch also. Nothing against the Cornwall III, just needs a better horn since it is the same one used in the Heresy III which I also have.

• Like 2

I have a couple of sets of the HF horns and drivers if you want to listen to them.

That sounds great. Thanks for the offer, I'd love to experiment with them. You're welcome to come over and play with the khorns with the B&C tweets and the luxman sq38u. 

Forum member Justin Weber has build the type D before and shared his opinion here.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/158843-crites-faital-2way-with-alk-ap12-500/

Bossman

Thanks for that link. I tried searching that but I was using the wrong criteria. 

I am now using the Cornscala D style. Before that I had the Cornwall III. I like the sound of both but prefer the larger horn in the D. The Crites woofer seems to have a little more punch also. Nothing against the Cornwall III, just needs a better horn since it is the same one used in the Heresy III which I also have.

Perhaps I could have titled this thread a bit differently. I didn't mean for it to sound like a WWE throwdown :) I have experience with the cornwall 1 and 2 models and I have fond recollections of them. For all their faults, I remember them fondly and I have spent many hours with them. Never failed to bring a smile to my face. 

"Nothing against the Cornwall III, just needs a better horn"

Now lets not just pick on the Cornwall III. It is genetic. EVERY Cornwall (1,2 or 3)needs a better horn! smile

That need inspired the bastard birth of Cornscala.

tc

• Like 1

I would think the popular approach to the Cornscala would be to use Bob's classic Cornwall motor board.

Use Lascala or CW 1 parts and ditch their mid horn to be replaced with Dave's fastrac Lascala.  Everything fits great.   The cost is reasonable.

To be honest though...I've never listened to CW III's.