What is your favorite 2 channel Toy?

BobK

By toy I mean add ons like equalizers, preamps, gizmos that you don't really need but you added on to enhance the sound somehow.

I've played around with some of them and will have to say it would be a carver holographic sound processor.   With certain music its a WOW that does sound good.  I don't use it all the time but its an item I don't think I would sell, its there just in case.   

A DEQ2496 with a seperate external DAC. I'd have a very hard time going without it or something similar. EQing in the digital domain addressing room issues has been an eye opener.

Edited by SWL
  • Like 1

A DEQ2496 with a seperate external DAC. I'd have a very hard time going without it or something similar. EQing in the digital domain addressing room issues has been an eye opener.

That device looks pretty cool.   Right now I am mostly vinyl and have a teac CD player using its DAC.   It does have a provision of sending a signal out the back of the CD unit to a different DAC though.

To me, 2 channel is about simplicity.  Home Theater is about complexity and adding "stuff"....

That is nice Jim, but this is about the people that do have extra things or toys, you do not which is fine but not on topic. :)

You only assume I didn't....and my comment is completely on topic, but gee, sorry to bother you.

Every once in a while I'll set up a vintage "effects" system and use my Fisher 500C and add the Fisher K10 spring reverb for a type of vintage "reggae-type" reverb sound. :ph34r:

_ _ fisher-spacexpander-audio-september-1960-ad.jpg

._ FISHER Spacexpander K-10 reverb 001.jpg

_ FISHER Spacexpander K-10 reverb 009.jpg

post-36163-0-15980000-1453397189_thumb.j

post-36163-0-35580000-1453397476_thumb.j

post-36163-0-45220000-1453397484_thumb.j

Edited by Fjd
  • Like 3

With tubes it is the Fisher K10; however, when looking for effects with a solid state setup, I'll insert the Sansui RA-500 reverb.

_ sansui reverb RA-500 front lg.jpg

_ sansui reverb RA-500 back lg.jpg

post-36163-0-20340000-1453398088_thumb.j

post-36163-0-70980000-1453398103_thumb.j

Edited by Fjd
  • Like 1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EO0SEPK/ref=s9_simh_gw_g23_i1_r?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=12B3GNV19VGTKHWXHCFB&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2079475242&pf_rd_i=desktop

I have the Topping amp in the above link. Its sits to the side of my A/V receiver with its own speaker wires for occasional play. it is a great little T-amp connected to another great piece of gear for a nice minimalist system, the Logitech Squeezebox Touch.

DBX 5BX-DS Computer Controlled Dynamic Range Controller and its companion DBX 14/10 Computerized Equalizer/RTA

Extremely useful in tailoring the sound when necessitated.

What does it do?   I've seen some equalizers that had a DBx button on them.  It had a nice effect of giving the sound a wider sound stage.

To me, 2 channel is about simplicity.  Home Theater is about complexity and adding "stuff"....

That is nice Jim, but this is about the people that do have extra things or toys, you do not which is fine but not on topic. :)

You only assume I didn't....and my comment is completely on topic, but gee, sorry to bother you.

Jim I put a smile face on it so you would not get upset but I guess I should have put two smiles in.    I just did not want this to turn into some kind of pure 2 channel vs gadgets discussion.   If you have tried some please post on why you did not like them if you like.

• Like 1

I have also used a processor in my 2C system, and it can be a little bit like wanting more sugar in your coffee - a little bit addictive. I fretted over losing the purity though, and always ended up removing it with a mental thought, "Don't be ridiculous!" and put it away. 

I have less of that kind of concern these days and shoot more for whatever sounds nice. 

I tried several devices over the years and liked most of the DBX equipment including the DBX 120. I also used a Yamaha DSP 1 and a Lexicon pre. Now, I am using an Aragon Stage One set on Stereo Direct and my little McIntosh 225 amp with Velodyne subs. Simple but most enjoyable pure sound.