Does Anybody Belive in Audiogon Anymore?

thebes

No negative experiences here, Marty, other than a number of folks who invite offers and then act offended when you make an offer. The only piece of gear I've purchased was an Oppo BDP-95 and it arrived as described in perfect condition. I've also purchased a fair amount of vinyl on that site with good results, especially  compared to some of the crap I've seen from Ebay sellers.

Probably pays to research your seller before pulling the trigger.

Interesting replies.  I too have had pretty good luck buying there, but lately, I just don't know. 

Maybe it's because every time I peruse used carts they all seem have less than 100 hours on them, and I've seen one seller claim less than five hours on four or five carts.  I'm sorry, but the instances of people using a cart for a mere 100 hours versus normal audio use for a cart are way out of line, ie deceptive.

Plus navigating that place with the latest software change is a pain.

I've been a member almost since Agon started. I've bought and sold with all good results. A few years back they changed everything up, and I was not happy. I bitched here and elsewhere but most people said everything changes etc....I proclaimed it was the end of Agon as we knew it, everyone scoffed. I stand by that , I used to go there several times a day for years.

They had a large selection of everything, good prices and people. After the change I go maybe a few times a year, as do the several people I know that are into audio. I declared Agon done, and to me it is, what a shame. Greed and stupidity from my point of view ruined it. If you werent there 5-10 years ago you will never know what you missed, don't matter now, just my opinion.......

I've gotten a lot of good deals but have had some bad experiences as well. Just recently I purchased a $1500 amplifier from a guy, sent the payment through Paypal and after the first couple of email exchanges never received the amp or heard from the guy again. I had to open a claim and it took almost a month (after waiting almost two weeks to open it) to get my money back. I never did hear back from him, not sure what happened?

I thought they just charged a fee to list back then ?? They made $20- 50 a year on me several years, without doing much.

I really hated losing that resource for buying and selling. Their small listings now are pretty sad.

I sell a little on Audiogon from time to time.  The last purchase I made was a year ago when I purchased a pair of surrounds that were actually a local pick up.  I don't think Audiogon has the traffic that it once did and i find that most listings are overpriced.  If you are selling anything under $100, the fees are fairly steep.  I rarely have a bad experience, but I do get a lot of ridiculous low-ball offers from time to time. I do miss the Audiogon from 15+ years ago when it was free to list.  I would scroll for days back then, however, I did have a couple of less than stellar experiences back then. 

Interesting replies.  I too have had pretty good luck buying there, but lately, I just don't know. 

Maybe it's because every time I peruse used carts they all seem have less than 100 hours on them, and I've seen one seller claim less than five hours on four or five carts.  I'm sorry, but the instances of people using a cart for a mere 100 hours versus normal audio use for a cart are way out of line, ie deceptive.

Plus navigating that place with the latest software change is a pain.

You buy used phono cartridges?  Isn't that the same as buying a used toothbrush?  Or used underwear?   Ewwww.

• Like 1

I have had very good results both buying and selling on Audiogon, with two exceptions. I've twice purchased used cartridges with "less than 100 hours" and each time it was a complete rip-off. Thankfully, between Audiogon and Paypal I was able to recapture my funds both times. No more used carts for me though.

• Like 1

Buying used phono cartridges has got to be the riskiest single activity in all of home audio.  I can see the appeal if it's maybe something vintage, discontinued, or ultra-rare, but if you could still buy the same model new-in-box from an authorized dealer why wouldn't you?

I do not buy and sell stuff as much as I used to but have used Audiogon a fair amount in the past. Have to say I have had very good experiences. One thing that consistently happens when listing on Audiogon, is that you will get some extreme low-ball offers right out of the gate. I imagine that there is a contingent of folks who do that for every piece of high-end gear that gets listed - hopping that the seller is desperate and they can land an awesome deal. But once you realize that is par for the course, you just ignore them!

I would have to say that my experiences with Audiogon, are better than any other place I have bought and sold equipment. And I include the forum garage sale section in that group!

It has become very expensive so I wouldn’t use it unless I was selling something pretty high end. I haven’t tried US audiomart and I would be interested in people’s opinion of that site as a marketplace.

• Like 1

I haven’t tried US audiomart and I would be interested in people’s opinion of that site as a marketplace.

I'd say it's just as good as Audiogon (although probably not as many sellers -- still getting to be known in the U.S.) and the Canadian version has been around for a while. 

• 1 year later...

Hi Everyone,

I hope you are doing well. This is my first post on any audio forum. I was looking to purchase a pair of Klipsch Palladium P-17B's. I was going to purchase a pair on craigslist but they sold. Found another pair on Audiogon. They look like in new condition and the current bid is $1,500.01. The seller however has no previous sales. $1,500 is a pretty good deal but I'm not sure if I trust this seller or Audiogon's protection policy. What do you guys think? Here is link to the P-17B's listing on Audiogon: https://www.audiogon.com/listings/full-range-klipsch-palladium-p-17b-2017-03-23-speakers-46032-carmel-in

Thanks,

Anthony