Does Anybody Belive in Audiogon Anymore?

thebes

Haven't bought anything there in several years now. Every time I go there I leave the place feeling kinda greasy, like something sleazy rubbed off onme. 

I mean that joint has always been filled with over-the-top-prices, suspect offshore dealers and dubious claims for sonic bliss and outright lies when it comes to the actual condition of the merchandise. 

Maybe I'm wrong. I'd lkie to be wrong cause there is certainly some major bling over there, but then again.

What say yee?

There's always a good deal out there, and the likelihood of being ripped off is very low.

A great place to find well cared for gear. Most of the gear I see on eBay often leaves a lot to be desired, i.e., scuffed/scratched, "as- is", "it works when I turn it on", etc.

I once bought an $8000 VTL amplifier for $2200, and it was perfect.

What's wrong with this?

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-luxman-lux-m501d-ltd-ed-class-a-amplifier-2016-01-22-amplifiers-l5c-4m7

There's always a good deal out there, and the likelihood of being ripped off is very low.

A great place to find well cared for gear. Most of the gear I see on eBay often leaves a lot to be desired, i.e., scuffed/scratched, "as- is", "it works when I turn it on", etc.

What's wrong with this?

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-luxman-lux-m501d-ltd-ed-class-a-amplifier-2016-01-22-amplifiers-l5c-4m7

That part is dead accurate. The goods are good. Back in the day, I bought a fair number of A'gon goods, and the stuff was always like new and well packed. Quite unlike ebay. My guess is that these guys love audio gear, treat it tenderly and with respect, and do a lot of swapping around. Now days, the stuff is just to price for me. 

What's wrong with this?

What are you doing up so late on your birthday, dude?

I bought something not long ago on Audiogon.  All-in-all, had a very good experience and purchased from a very reputable seller.

The fees that Audiogon charge now are quite high.  I can remember back when they were free.  But I guess when other sites ended up folding, that's when they realized they can start charging and have increased their rates incrementally over time.  U.S. Audio Mart is still free.

Over the last 6 years, bought a McIntosh amp, DAC, Heresy 3's, and recently a pair of 10 month old La Scala 2's.  All good.  I got the LS2's from an Audiogon dealer called "iqexchange" out of Fairfax Virginia.  They arrived properly packed on a pallet in original boxes.  Mint.  He's got some nice stuff for sale now, klipschorns, palladiums - none of which I need or can afford at this point.  No affiliation.

Here's another thumb's up for Audiogon.  As always, just do a bit of research on the seller before bidding/buying.  I am more likely to purchase an item if I can determine it is being sold by a brick & mortar store vice a private individual.  In any event, Audiogon beats the heck outta eBay.