Rockhound THTLP build thread

totalcomfort

Had a chance to meet another great forum member, and he lives pretty close. We got to talking and we both were looking to build a sub. We worked out a trade ( thanks rockhound) to build a couple of the THTLP. I am building them out of cherry plywood , and going to try to make them look like long storage type tables. Plan on using fake drawer fronts and handles. Rockhound I think is going to use his as a equipment rack. I plan on using mine to set my center channel on. I have built the auto tuba for the wife's rig and was blown away at what that box could do with a cheap 10 in it. I hope this will be the sub I have been looking for. I have tried the house wrecker from Decware, and am currently running a pair of Wo32's but they just can't keep up with the jamboree's and don't blend very well. So we shall see what happens?

• Like 1

Veneered plywood will not last long in these designs I'm sorry to say.

Please elaborate a little. 

The thin veneer will separate from the thicker ply underneath after a while.

It may last a little while.

If you do need to use the hardwood plywood you will need to remove the thin outer ply and glue to the thicker ply underneath.

• Like 1

I have built all of my speakers ( all 30 or so) from veneered plywood and have never had a problem as long as it has the correct number of ply's. I forgot to add these are being built out of 3/4 ply, the only thing I build my speakers with. Your reason for not liking veneer plywood? Always up for learning something new.

Please elaborate a little.

The thin veneer will separate from the thicker ply underneath after a while.

It may last a little while.

If you do need to use the hardwood plywood you will need to remove the thin outer ply and glue to the thicker ply underneath.

Have never seen this happen, have several pairs that are over 5yrs old, and have been played hard and never had a problem. Maybe I am just lucky but will look closer at the plywood when I pick it up from now on. Thanks

I have built all of my speakers ( all 30 or so) from veneered plywood and have never had a problem as long as it has the correct number of ply's.

As long as its 4 ply or more it does not matter.

I forgot to add these are being built out of 3/4 ply, the only thing I build my speakers with.

Its not about the plywood thickness its the veneer that will not hold to the layers underneath.

Your reason for not liking veneer plywood? Always up for learning something new.

I like veneered plywood & use it quite a bit in many projects but due to the pressures and resonances in these designs the outer veneer will fail after a short time unfortunately.

Edited by jason str

Use the right plywood or MDF and veneer the outside of the cabinet if you are looking for a hardwood finish.

What would be considered the correct plywood to avoid veneer delamination?

4 + ply and no thin outer veneer.

I normally use Auraco 5 ply myself.

Information is all in the plans and this information is on the first page if i recall.

Edited by jason str
  • Like 1

Had a chance to meet another great forum member, and he lives pretty close. We got to talking and we both were looking to build a sub. We worked out a trade ( thanks rockhound) to build a couple of the THTLP. I am building them out of cherry plywood , and going to try to make them look like long storage type tables. Plan on using fake drawer fronts and handles. Rockhound I think is going to use his as a equipment rack. I plan on using mine to set my center channel on. I have built the auto tuba for the wife's rig and was blown away at what that box could do with a cheap 10 in it. I hope this will be the sub I have been looking for. I have tried the house wrecker from Decware, and am currently running a pair of Wo32's but they just can't keep up with the jamboree's and don't blend very well. So we shall see what happens?

I couldn't agree more Ray. I feel fortunate to have someone close that shares the same sickness lol. Really looking forward to hearing these as I've heard so many good things about them. Overkill for my needs as I usually listen to music at low to medium levels but hey it's nice to have headroom! Thanks again Ray for the help.

• Like 1

. I am building them out of cherry plywood , and going to try to make them look like long storage type tables. Plan on using fake drawer fronts and handles. Rockhound I think is going to use his as a equipment rack. I plan on using mine to set my center channel on.

Looking forward to more pictures and progress.  I'm doing the same thing with an F-20 (it's going to be a equipment, center, T.V. stand)  I'm planning on building the rack/shelf portion as a separate unit that will sit on the top of the sub and incorporate Dave's (fastrac) super ball method to isolate the equipment and install commercial casters on the bottom with a skirt board that will hide them and float just over my hardwood floor.  Fun project!  Now get back in the shop. :P  

• Like 1

Pete,

I'm pretty sure you are supposed to be A/Bing your new F-20 vs the other direct radiator subs that you have, not playing with super balls or casters. Stop messing around and post your findings. :rolleyes: Inquiring minds want to know your assessment.

I'm off tomorrow and the second one will be done (just built and running, not finished as a cabinet) so I'll get back to posting.  Such peer pressure. :o  Now back to the OP's build.