Rockhound THTLP build thread

totalcomfort

This will orient horizontally?

Carl I plan to lay it on the wide side which is 24ish wide the top will be the 18ish panel. I plan to place my components on top for now as a temporary solution. I will be saving after this build for a new pre-amp and 2 stereo power amps to feed my CF4's. When the time comes for the amps I plan on re-finishing the CF4 cabinets and building stands for them that will also house the power amps. One thing is for certain this sub and the CF4's should keep me happy for a long time! One thing is for certain Ray has done an outstanding job on this sub the gy knows his stuff and has a awesome wood shop to work out of, I've already learned a ton from him on this build.

Edited by rockhound

Listening first impressions " holy cow" this thing rocks. I hooked up a 20yr old crappy receiver 20 watts max maybe. No sub out so turned bass to max gain, then turned treble all the way down. Not the correct way to test it, but was all I have in the shop. Just couldn't wait to hear it. Was shaking everything in a 2 car size shop, it was crazy. Can't wait to finish it and get it home to put a little EQ on it and power it with my xpa-2.

Still got to get it nice and shiny, then going to bring it to its foster home. Will hopefully have it for a few day's to play with it, before it gets adopted out to its new home. If I have time today to work on it, will try and get some 98% finished pics posted. Rockhound remember you said " I could have the first one you were in no hurry" LOL. You will have to help me move this beast out of the den when you come to get it.

I plan to lay it on the wide side

How far will the mouth be from a boundary? I sure hope this turns out to be an optimal location for the sub or you'll really be missing out on it's capabilities...like any other sub. Do you have any alternative locations if this one doesn't work out?

WOW Ray that looks fantastic....stunning! I will give you a ring around 630 tonight to discuss the drawers.
SWL- Yes I did the sub crawl before building this luckily the best position is where my current TV stand is. I have a small listening room and this is way overkill BUT this is a Klipsch board and bigger is always better! SUPER EXCITED TO SEE/HEAR THIS SUCKER!

• Like 1

Thanks for all the nice comments. Really had fun building this. BIL helped a bunch, a few minor issues in the finish but I am really picky about my work. Overall I am happy at this point,learned some more tips from the BIL. Can't wait to start mine but will be a few weeks, starting to get real busy with work. Won't do a build thread but will post some pics when I get it done. Bill has a great design for us DIY guys, my hat goes off to him.