Rockhound THTLP build thread

totalcomfort

Let's leave them off for now I can always put them on later.

Great choice I was hoping you would go that way. Bringing it home tmr I hope will let you know how it sounds with my system.

Ummm with what you have you better warn the neighbors! One week to go can't wait.

Thought I would post my impressions of this build, and the way it sounded.

Building this sub is not hard, follow the assembly instructions in order and it will go very smooth. The plans are well thought out and have plenty of pic's. Bill does a great job of explaining everything step by step. If you are limited in tools use the jig plans he has,it will be very helpful. A+ on plans!!

Listening impressions

Output is just unreal, this thing will move everything in your house with a 20hz tone at about 40 or 50 watts. I have a small room, and it is dangerous in my room. I love it!!

Sound quality is great, very tight and controlled bass blends very well with my Jamborees ( thanks Duder) for your PM). I have tried 8 different subs in my room, trying to find "THAT" sound. I finally found it in this sub. I love horn bass and this a wonderful horn sub.

Edited by totalcomfort
  • Like 1

Got it home. Wow just wow, first off hats go off to total comfort the pics in this thread do not capture the amount of detail that went into making it, it really does look like a piece of furniture. So much so that my wife actually said "Hey I could live with that in the living room" that in itself is an amazing feat.

The sound

I first hooked this up using the high level inputs of my bash 300, the JM Peach pre and the MC 2105. Ray and I were both underwhelmed to say the least. It just didn't seem like the sub was getting a good signal from that combo. I pulled the Peach out of the chain and put in my old Marantz Sr5005 AVR everything else the same. The beauty of the Marantz is it allows you to change crossovers and all that fancy stuff not to mention no more high level inputs just a single RCA to the Marantz. BINGO the THTLP woke up after Ray and I tweaked it, sounds sooooo good. I was worried the that it would not blend well with the CF4's in my small room. WRONG this things makes the tightest bass I have ever had the pleasure to experience and OMG the output this thing has will cause my large window in the below pic to flex. When Ray and I were tweaking settings I honestly thought it was going to break it.

Conclusion

Ray did a bang up job and along the way of this build I meet a fellow Klipsch/Music addict to enjoy this great hobby with. As far as the sub goes I'm done I don't see how anything could sound as good for the money in my listening room. I still need to build those Anti-Res platforms Pete H mentioned earlier in the thread but for now it's time to jam.

Not the best pic I'll try and take in better light.

https://goo.gl/photos/EP9vPS7Nj5papgfr9

Edited by rockhound
  • Like 2

Yea I was worried about that window during setup. My first time to hear cf4 speakers and loved them, great job on getting those horns to ear level. I was worried about blending everything together in your room, but it worked out great. Have you run a room correction with your mic yet?? Keep playing with levels and crossovers, every room has that one magic spot that brings your system to the ultimate level. Sorry I didn't have more time to tweak on it more with you. I promised you and Mrs rockhound a cookout, let her see the projector in my den and see what we can talk her into for your room. Lol

Glad to hear that you like it.  I must say that horn subs are pretty impressive.  When are you building the second one? :huh:

Going too try and get started in the next week or so. Still working out the finishing ideas with the wife. BIL has agreed to do something special for the front. Leaning toward rosewood or walnut burl veneer right now, may change later? Almost cried like a baby when rockhound took off with the first one. Was shocked, even the wife wanted it back! Not going too do a build thread but will post pics of finished box.

Glad to hear that you like it.  I must say that horn subs are pretty impressive.  When are you building the second one? :huh:

Going too try and get started in the next week or so. Still working out the finishing ideas with the wife. BIL has agreed to do something special for the front. Leaning toward rosewood or walnut burl veneer right now, may change later? Almost cried like a baby when rockhound took off with the first one. Was shocked, even the wife wanted it back! Not going too do a build thread but will post pics of finished box.

I understand your pain.  I just delivered the first F-20 to a friend of mine last week and have to get cranked up on finishing the second one which is mine, but there's a lot to do.  I went from two full systems in the shop to none and have to get things hooked back up this evening so I can get in the mood to finalize the shelving, base and finish for mine.  Can't wait to see your pictures of yours, and again, great build!

Well taking back what I said about a week to get started. BIL called was in the shop said he was bored. I decided to give him something to do. We worked about 6hrs on it today, things go quick when he helps. I hope I will be as good as he is some day.post-49728-0-19960000-1455420067_thumb.j

Edited by totalcomfort
  • Like 2

Got some tuning to do, other one had mouth facing right in room, this one is too the left. Think this will sound better as I have longer walls to work with in this corner. Going to tune and run some sweeps this afternoon and see what happens. Will update later. Thanks for the comments.

Pete H, on 20 Feb 2016 - 7:04 PM, said:

It's later....................................................

OK I like it !!! Same great bass as the other one. Ran my Dirac and a nasty dip at 40hz that I had with the mouth facing right was gone. yea!! But picked up a high peak in the 25 to 30hz range. I like stronger bass than some, so was able to play with the curve and get it 

sounding GREAT to me. If I had the room I would build another in a second. I have another idea for a new rack, hmmmm who knows? I may have just enough room for one more.

• 3 years later...

Long term report, I'm still loving this sub it has performed flawlessly for a good two years now. I had a chance recently to move this sub into the main living room where I could let it breath. Let's just say that my jaw dropped when I watched Tron legacy. If your on the fence about one of these don't be it is by far the best I have heard for the money. Another shout out to my bud@totalcomfort for building this it puts a smile on my face every time I crank it.

• Thanks 1