Rockhound THTLP build thread

totalcomfort

. I am building them out of cherry plywood , and going to try to make them look like long storage type tables. Plan on using fake drawer fronts and handles. Rockhound I think is going to use his as a equipment rack. I plan on using mine to set my center channel on.

Looking forward to more pictures and progress.  I'm doing the same thing with an F-20 (it's going to be a equipment, center, T.V. stand)  I'm planning on building the rack/shelf portion as a separate unit that will sit on the top of the sub and incorporate Dave's (fastrac) super ball method to isolate the equipment and install commercial casters on the bottom with a skirt board that will hide them and float just over my hardwood floor.  Fun project!  Now get back in the shop. :P

Het Pete H can you elaborate more on this?

" Dave's (fastrac) super ball method to isolate the equipment"

If you insist on using hardwood veneered ply on these BFM cabinets you could insert dowel rods every 4 inches or so to take the stress off the joints.

It will add strength but not sure if it would be a long lasting solution, sure couldn't hurt anything.

Panels 10 & 6 should be shy the thickness of your plywood on the side panel and it looks as though it ends with the side panel.

You could angle cut panel 9 to match up with 10 but the motorboard needs to be cut short the thickness of your stock for sure.

Panels 10 & 6 should be shy the thickness of your plywood on the side panel and it looks as though it ends with the side panel.

You could angle cut panel 9 to match up with 10 but the motorboard needs to be cut short the thickness of your stock for sure.

I am only changing how butt joints come together, every dimension on this box is to plan. I am doing this due to how the sub will be laid when it is placed in room. This way I will not have a end cut ( ply) showing on the side facing out. Following plans is very important, but so is knowing how to build a fine piece of furniture.

• Like 2

. I am building them out of cherry plywood , and going to try to make them look like long storage type tables. Plan on using fake drawer fronts and handles. Rockhound I think is going to use his as a equipment rack. I plan on using mine to set my center channel on.

Looking forward to more pictures and progress.  I'm doing the same thing with an F-20 (it's going to be a equipment, center, T.V. stand)  I'm planning on building the rack/shelf portion as a separate unit that will sit on the top of the sub and incorporate Dave's (fastrac) super ball method to isolate the equipment and install commercial casters on the bottom with a skirt board that will hide them and float just over my hardwood floor.  Fun project!  Now get back in the shop. :P

http://www.fastlaneaudio.com/anti-res.html

Simple idea and I've been testing the F-20, on casters with a receiver, amp and cd player just sitting on top of it and haven't had any issues at all but I'm probably going to do this anyway to be sure.  It's simple enough and you can buy the super balls on Amazon cheap. 

• Like 1

Simple idea and I've been testing the F-20, on casters with a receiver, amp and cd player just sitting on top of it and haven't had any issues at all but I'm probably going to do this anyway to be sure.  It's simple enough and you can buy the super balls on Amazon cheap.

Interesting for sure thanks for sharing.

Interesting for sure thanks for sharing.

Thank Dave, I would have never thought of Super Balls.  :wacko:

Not much of an update , but a few rough finished pic's. The pic with the blocks on top are going to be the legs. they are about 4" high.

They are solid western cedar, thanks to the BIL for those he did a great job. Stay tuned me and BIL have come up with some good ideas on the trim using this wood. It is a great looking wood with a little cherry stain. I am very happy so far how this has turned out. Can't get pic's to load, will go by with Ipad  tmr and get them posted.

• Like 1

Not much of an update , but a few rough finished pic's. The pic with the blocks on top are going to be the legs. they are about 4" high.

They are solid western cedar, thanks to the BIL for those he did a great job. Stay tuned me and BIL have come up with some good ideas on the trim using this wood. It is a great looking wood with a little cherry stain. I am very happy so far how this has turned out. Can't get pic's to load, will go by with Ipad tmr and get them posted.

Got my popcorn ready to see this sucker! Edited by rockhound

Listening first impressions " holy cow" this thing rocks. I hooked up a 20yr old crappy receiver 20 watts max maybe. No sub out so turned bass to max gain, then turned treble all the way down. Not the correct way to test it, but was all I have in the shop. Just couldn't wait to hear it. Was shaking everything in a 2 car size shop, it was crazy. Can't wait to finish it and get it home to put a little EQ on it and power it with my xpa-2.