Rockhound THTLP build thread

totalcomfort

57 minutes ago, rockhound said:

Long term report, I'm still loving this sub it has performed flawlessly for a good two years now. I had a chance recently to move this sub into the main living room where I could let it breath. Let's just say that my jaw dropped when I watched Tron legacy. If your on the fence about one of these don't be it is by far the best I have heard for the money. Another shout out to my bud@totalcomfort for building this it puts a smile on my face every time I crank it.

Had 2 of those bad boys, but I had to sell them to another forum member when I moved to smaller digs. Had the regular THT, but the THTLP is my favorite.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Had 2 of those bad boys, but I had to sell them to another forum member when I moved to smaller digs. Had the regular THT, but the THTLP is my favorite.

And what do you have now @ClaudeJ1? Mine is in a 11x12 room lol! Headroom for days...………………………………….🤘

14 hours ago, rockhound said:

And what do you have now @ClaudeJ1? Mine is in a 11x12 room lol! Headroom for days...………………………………….🤘

Danley TH-50 (15" MTX 9500 Monster Driver)  and OThorn (21" B&C More Monstrous Driver) design by Josh Ricci at Data-Bass, used as "speaker stands" below my Danley SH-50's and on either side of my center SH-50 (multiple entry horns with 7 drivers in each one). Living room is 11.5 x16.5 with 8 foot ceiling. I give up about 6 db of sensitivity/efficiency by going with a Tapped Horn instead of a full horn, like the Tubas. BUT, I get lower bass in a smaller cabinet as a result. I cut lumber for 2 more "coffee table subs" with TC sounds 12" Monster Drivers (no longer made, but two 12's is like an 18) to be stood up against the back wall. I will sell the 2 "flat packs" and do a single Tapped Horn with "double 12's" by going from 14.5 x 30 x 60" dimensions by adding another 12" to the 60" dimension. The sub will be flatter and go down to 12 Hz. instead of just 20 (as modeled in Hornresp). I should add that we are ALL CRAZY but it feels so good!! The reason for 3 subs, instead of just one, is that when you do 2 or more against opposite walls, you spread the room modes around and get flatter bass in more places in the room (smoother all over the room and less PEQ). It's not for more output, which is overkill to begin with, but that is how distortion is kept so low with HORNS!!

My new Yamaha pre pro will let me do 11 channels for 7.2.4 Dolby Atmos and 2.2 for stereo. I will build 4 coaxial speakers for the ceiling of figure out a way to put 4 Heresy's up there, we shall see. Work in SLOW progress but it sound great now.

IMG_1612.JPG

• Like 2

11 hours ago, rockhound said:

@ClaudeJ1 you just might be a mad man lol! That setup looks awesome and I bet it sounds stellar!

I want to add that after talking to the National Rep. for B&C about that 21" driver in the OThorn (with the 6" Diameter voice coil) I learned something new. There are only 2 amplifiers in the world that will drive it to full output, but if you plug it DIRECTLY into the AC wall socket, and you have a 30 Amp Breaker, it will do 60 Hz at about 140 db sound pressure without blowing. How's that for headroom in Audio with Horn Loading a MONSTER!! I just wouldn't want to be in the room for that experience!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, angusruler said:

Absolutely beautiful!

Love the heresy decorators also......just wish the woofers hadnt "greyed" so to speak. Luckily i started with empty cabs so mine havent dulled yet! 

Thank you and yes I agree about the woofs. I plan to add a metal grill (like Andy has done to his "flamed twins") to them at some point to protect them. I'm hoping that the metal grills will mostly hide the grey woofs if not I'll start looking for replacements. These are keepers for sure.

• Like 1