La Scala rehab, part 2

Matthews

those should have the highly desireable solder terminal dual phase plug K-55V's.

What does that mean, "Frzninvt"?  Not sure why these would be more desirable.  I prefer the spring loaded terminal.  Is there a difference other than the connection type?  Are they more valuable?

attachicon.gifK55V-1 (Medium).jpgattachicon.gifK55V-2 (Medium).jpg

Thanks,

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

Solder lug K55V had a two part phase plug, which eliminates the 'ring' at 9khz (I believe it is). This is important because on earlier network designs the mid is allowed to run out to it's acoustic range, with no low pass crossover. 

• Like 2

Solder lug K55V had a two part phase plug, which eliminates the 'ring' at 9khz (I believe it is). This is important because on earlier network designs the mid is allowed to run out to it's acoustic range, with no low pass crossover.

Thanks, I am curious, if I am running Crites crossovers with motor-run caps will I notice a difference in the two models (solder vs. spring)?

Is it worth it to search out the older version with the dual phase plug, I take it?  

My understanding is that if the driver is a K-55V then stay away from the spring terminal/single port phase plug (seek out a solder terminal K55V with the fancier phase plug)

If the driver is a K55X, then do not worry about the phase plug (IOW, it does not have the problem of the older K-55V spring terminal/single port phase plug). 

Oh, and it's not real cane, but some kind of synthetic.

Bruce

I have a set of CW grilles that Budman made. The Wendell synthetic 'cane' material looks pretty good, but has an unnatural sheen, and doesn't bend around the edges of the 1/8" grill board material very well. Perhaps if a heat gun were used to soften it as it were wrapped??? 

• Like 1

Thanks, I am curious, if I am running Crites crossovers with motor-run caps will I notice a difference in the two models (solder vs. spring)?

Dunno, has he put in the "P-trap"  ( a low pass network portion for the midrange K55 driver)?   If not, then you would still have that spike. I think that's what some guys refer to as the 'sawzall going through a boiler tube' on the Cornwall speaker, although I've never found it particularly bothersome. 

• Like 1

"...it does not have the problem of the older K-55V spring terminal/single port phase plug."

Yes it does. The K-55-X is identical in design to the K-55-V with the spring loaded terminals. The newer K-55-X may have soldered lugs, but it has the same single port phase plug. This driver is made by Atlas (PD5-VH), and is simply rebranded for Klipsch.

Edited by Deang
  • Like 1

Good information.  Thanks for the replies.

So if one had access to a new pair of K-55-x's that are used in LaScala 2's, it's not worth the extra money versus finding something used and replacing diaphragms if that was needed?  

Edited by avguytx

"...it does not have the problem of the older K-55V spring terminal/single port phase plug."

Yes it does. The K-55-X is identical in design to the K-55-V with the spring loaded terminals. The newer K-55-X may have soldered lugs, but it has the same single port phase plug. This driver is made by Atlas (PD5-VH), and is simply rebranded for Klipsch.

I stand corrected.

Some, but not all, of the K55V's (with spring terminals) benefited from a trap to attenuate the 9 kHz spike. Does the K55X also have this problem?

The "spike through the skull" is caused by overload in the narrow throat of the horn, usually at high volumes.

The bounce back at 9kHz is normally 10dB down, it's not audible. There were some runs sent to Klipsch that were worse than the normal fare. The "P-trap" was developed by Max Potter to remove the "spike" - it's a very narrow band pass and only targets 9 kHz.

Edited by Deang
  • Like 1

The K-55-X also has the bounce back issue, but you're right, the "problem" was only a problem with some, not all. There is a big difference between 3-5dB down and 10dB down.

The two port designs have the problem too - it's just higher up in their response.

Always bookmark great threads.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/73483-squawker-driver-tests-k-55v-k-55m-k-51v-k-52h/

Bob's tests show the bounce back to be almost 15dB down. That's a lot.

No bounce back at all with the two port phase plug K-55-V.

Bounce back at 7.5kHz on the EV K-55-M (has two port phase plug).

Edited by Deang