Rear/Surround speaker

RX8

A question about the RP 150M.  This is rear ported but has a keyhole bracket.  Why would Klipsch include a keyhole bracket if it should not be mounted against a wall?

Speakers are designed to be installed in a variety of different manners.  Sure in a perfect world we could have our surrounds directly at listening height to the direct left and right of our heads, but in the real world we are limited by where walls are, window and door placement, what significant others find appealing visually, the desire to protect our speakers from kids bumping into them, furniture placement limits etc. etc.  

So I'd argue in many if not most cases people mount their surrounds up higher than they should and perhaps further back than is ideal.  This requires some type of a speaker mount to position and direct the speaker at the proper angle - and many of these mounts fasten to the keyhole mount.  This allows airspace between the back of the speaker and the wall due to the bracket itself - and would allow more than enough airspace.  

Also I'm going to be the minority here but if you found a set of R-14S surrounds for $50 I would have snatched it up right away.  I just bought a set of them myself and am very pleased.  The only negative is due to their unique shape mounting is more difficult.  I'm still trying to figure out my permanent solution, but in my case they will need to be angled forward towards the listener which means the back edge will stick away from the wall quite a bit.  These don't have rear ports but if they did there would be plenty of room (although one might argue the sound would be reflected the wrong direction - thus I really didn't want something with a rear port in the first place).

I've used a variety of surround speakers over the years including small satellites, small bookshelf speakers, and in-ceiling designs.  These are the most substantial and are capable of more than enough sound for my purposes.  If you can find a good deal on some (I just found a new set for half price from hhgregg) I wouldn't hold back.