Disability Friendly homes

Taz

Did not want to crap on Coyotee's thread about a lift.

Some of the things I've seen elsewhere.  As well as at home where my Wife runs an adult foster care home.

We all get older and some of us become disabled with the years.

When remodeling one can plan for those that are disabled, or for when you or family become disabled.

Easy access showers are great when mobility is no longer as good as it used to be.  A very low threshold with grab rails make a world of difference.  A large shower is also nice.  And I've seen some nice large ones.

A wheelchair ramp can be used by everyone.  Our ramp goes to the upstairs of the house where the adult residents live with Kathy and I.  We use it for everybody.  And it is handy when someone needs an ambulance.  We use LED light strings to light the ramp and deck.  Have a cart that we can pile groceries in to move up the ramp.  Lot easier then carrying them.  Also good for moving heavy items upstairs.  Recommend not using cedar for the ramp as it does not last as long as pressure treated. 

Any cement access should have snow melting circuit if you have freezing weather from time to time.

Bathroom doors should be the same size as exterior doors. 36".    If you ever have to get someone on a gurney you will welcome the larger door.   If there is a lip at the door such as our sliding glass door does, a small ramp, like 3" wide may make it easier for those using a walker.  I've seen pocket doors used to good effect.

The wider the doorways the easier it is to accompany someone with a walker or W/C.

Washroom can be set up with front loading washer and dryer.  Plenty of counter space that is proper height for someone to do their laundry from a W/C.

Kitchen can have cabinets that lower with a flip of a switch allowing easier access for those disabled.  As well as for those that are vertically challenged.

Low counters for microwave and other necessities make it easier. 

Two dishwashers.  One for clean dishes and one for the dirty.  You'd be surprised at how convenient this is.

Remote controlled window blinds are Great if you lack mobility.  As is a remote controlled gas fire place which can be turned on, up, down and off.

Make all the disability friendly things you can,  If you decide to sell later you will be able to get a good return as someone will have a home pretty much ready to accommodate their disabilities.

If anyone has other suggestions,  welcome.

If ya want to crap.  Crap here, just address it to me.

john

Edited by Taz
  • Like 2

I love the shower designs with the floor at the same level as the rest of the bathroom and the skinny drain under the shower curtain that runs the length of the curtain. Absolutely no step to step over. Simple and outstanding design. They should put the designer in the "Bathroom Hall Of Fame".

JJK

• Like 1

Knew a gentleman that had his house remodeled.  Nice kitchen and living room but skimped on the bathroom.  Door was too small for a wheel chair and he became wheelchair bound.   Wound up in a nursing home.  He would have eventually went to a nursing home anyhow.  But a larger door on the bathroom would have been better for everyone.

After my sister died and her house was put up for sale, mom said they were asking way too much for it and it wouldn't sell.  Sold shortly for a good price above what other houses in the neighborhood had sold for.

Edited by Taz

Not sure if this qualifies for this thread. My brother lost the functioning of one of his arms after a car wreck also an amputee from the same wreck. Anyway even the smallest task are hard to do one handed such as cutting a steak or chicken breast. I bought him a ulu knife, now he has the freedom to cut his own food these small changes can be liberating for someone with disabilities.

http://theulufactory.com/ulu-history.php

• Like 2

My son who is a plumber and has worked on new construction as well as remodels says that the walk in showers with a seat and a shower head on a hose comes to mind 1st. 

2nd is an open floor plan.  No hallways.

3rd the pocket doors are easier for someone in a wheel chair to use then the standard doors.

Our resident shower is a walk in that has a seat in it.  Plenty of room for those that stand.  And a place to sit for those that need to.

Easy access to exit doors are also important.

Of course having a home on a single level makes things much easier then a multi level home.

Come on guys, we can think of more things.  Ask more questions.  And express more ideals.  It may not be speakers but we will all have to deal with this stuff, or know people that will.

john

• 2 weeks later...

I've kept wanting to add this next comment to this thread....and keep forgetting!

One thing we did....and it was so easy....

Preface:  Wife has a niece who's in a wheelchair.  The downstairs bathroom was made with her in mind.  Room has french doors so she can roll through easily.

It however, got me wondering...

She rolls in there and the lights are off so it's dark inside..  The french doors open to each side and one of them covers the light switch.

Work around?

I installed a 3-way switch.

I now have a light switch on both the inside and the outside of the bathroom.  As she rolls up (or anyone walks up) you can hit the switch prior to walking in and the light is on.  Walk in, close door and there you have your other switch.  What I've learned as a matter of practice is the inside switch gets used maybe 5% of the time.  Everyone uses the outside switch.  This tells me it was a small thing that actually worked.

Fortunately, the inside switch is right next to the commode....  so if you are in there.....  occupied....  and some prankster child (or perhaps a prankster me) comes by and turns your light off from the outside, you can reach up and turn it back on from the inside.  You aren't stuck in the dark.   :ph34r:

As a backup, there is a vanity light in there and a light in the large closet that can balance out the light in the room.  Those can't be toyed with by a prankster outside the room.

Anyways, it was a small thing but it added a lot of ease for her so she can hit the switch as she rolls by rather than roll into a dark room, close door and in the dark, find the inside switch.

• Like 1

Door handles that are "L" shaped work better for those that have difficulty with the round nobs.  Whether from injury or aging.

Yeah I know this thread has about run it's course.

Coytee,  When you get the lift in I'd like to see it.  Heck I'd like to see the improvements you have done to make your home more accessible for the young lady.

john

Coytee,  When you get the lift in I'd like to see it.  Heck I'd like to see the improvements you have done to make your home more accessible for the young lady

At the speed we move around here, she might be a grandmother by then!

That said, it's little things like the french doors and, as you say, "L" shaped handles.  Basement is ground level so no ramps needed to get in.

Well, we DO have my killer shower in the basement.  On a big well (100+ gpm) so I ripped out the 1/2" copper going to shower, replaced it with both, 3/4" hot and 3/4" cold.  Upped the fixtures to 3/4" throughput so I have a real car wash in there.  Installed main shower head, 3 body sprays and hand held. Swapped water heater from 50 gal to 80 gal.

• Like 1