Raiders could move to San Diego? WTF?

jimjimbo

The bait is in the water.....

Chum away gents.  We'll get a bite eventually.

It seems that they finally have a direction and are building on some decent young talent for a change.  It wouldn't surprise me in the least if they were to come in a s a wild card next year.  Of course it wouldn't surprise me if they were 4 and 12 either. 

Is all this talk about moving football teams around California based on their economy?

I heard Cali has the 7th largest economy of any country on the planet.

no, it's about the NFL owners sucking the publics money dry…

^^ This!

The stadium issue has been an ongoing soap opera here in SD for 14+ years.

I WAS a long time Charger fan until about two years ago.  I could no longer turn a blind eye to the corporate welfare these NFL teams extort from their host cities.  The Chargers have been in essence playing rent free in a stadium that has cost us taxpayers millions of dollars a year just to maintain.

I do hope that the Chargers opt to move to Inglewood, and the Raiders, as well as the NFL in general, just keep their distance.

• Like 2

Trust me, being from St. Louis, I get it. The NFL and the billionaire boys club will bleed any city that will let them. The Rams were able to weasel out of StL due to a "top tier stadium" clause that the powers at be in our politics let happen. They had to rights to leave if the stadium was not in the top 25% of stadiums* around the league which we failed to do. No one thought to put in a "top tier team" clause into the contract as the team with the worst record over the past 10 years is being welcomed to LA with open arms. "Next victim!"

* edit: the clause actually stated out stadium had to be in the top 8 stadiums in the league.

Edited by MookieStl

• Moderators

The fact that they can even talk about moving is because of Al Davis.

They are trying to get their cities to build them new stadiums. The Rams are getting one. The Chargers are talking about moving to LA as well. So Raiders talk about moving to SD so Oakland will build a new stadium, or contribute towards one, for the Raiders.

It is a more difficult propositoon for San Antonio, they would be fighting against Dallas and Houston.

It will be interesting to see how it all sorts out.