Klipsch MCM 1900 - 4 Ways looking for a new home

jdlanctot

Welcome to the Forum.

You will get interest real soon here.

Popular price in Calif is $2k, i know because i have one im refurbing at this time and just sold one complete system of the same for $2K.

Hope this helps.

Edit:

I should state $2k is my pricing for a 1900 setup NEEDING refurb, not finished like what you are offering.

I suspect you may want a Tad more.

Edited by minermark

Unless there are some secret PMs going on in the background, i am amazed there is little or NO interest in these critters as of yet?

I know Forum members know how rare these system stacks come up, but what about all these newbies?

This is one hella chance to jump into Klipsch Pro at a reasonable cost (i Think).

Hey OP, come up with a price, Forum members (myself) do not care for open-ended "do not know what to ask" kind of pricing.

Unless there are some secret PMs going on in the background, i am amazed there is little or NO interest in these critters as of yet?

No interest?  He just posted yesterday!  :lol: 

(jest poking at you, my friend :P )

+++

Welcome to the forum Jim, excellent write-up.  I do think a lot of people find the history of a piece interesting.  If you can, you might also post some pics.

• Like 1

Welcome to the Forum.

You will get interest real soon here.

Popular price in Calif is $2k, i know because i have one im refurbing at this time and just sold one complete system of the same for $2K.

Hope this helps.

Edit:

I should state $2k is my pricing for a 1900 setup NEEDING refurb, not finished like what you are offering.

I suspect you may want a Tad more.

Thanks, great to be here. I've actually been roaming around in here for some time. Now I have something to talk about. :-)

Thanks also for the $2K reference point. Seems reasonable.

Best, Jim

• Like 1

I can attest to the acoustic panel dust all over everything and at no where near 200 watts.  

What did the performance hall upgrade to?   

That's a great question - I did extensive research through the local historical society (full Lincoln Center archives) and the local library (newspapers and other local publications) that gave me artists and play dates, along with some details of the renovation and names of the people in charge, but I haven't taken time yet to contact them directly. It's something I plan to do, and I'll definitely ask that question. 

Best, JIm

Edited by jdlanctot

Was there a location?

Near Loveland, CO was the closest thing I could find from Post No.1.  All the activity and sales were in CO.

Hi guys,

I picked them up in Loveland and brought them all the way to Minnesota. I'm in the Twin Cities metro. It was a nice trip. :-)

Best, JIm

No interest?  He just posted yesterday!  :lol:

(jest poking at you, my friend :P )

+++

Welcome to the forum Jim, excellent write-up.  I do think a lot of people find the history of a piece interesting.  If you can, you might also post some pics.

Thanks, much appreciated! I really like the community atmosphere here.

Researching the history was a lot of work, doing everything remotely from MN, but certainly was gratifying. I've not seen or heard of another set with a similar story, although there must be a few out there somewhere.

I'll likely have the whole system together again in the next couple weeks, and will post pics as soon as I take them. 

Best, Jim

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Love the history!  I have a fully restored set of 4-ways with networks as well. Other than mine being twin MWM-S single woofer models, and  fiberglass with aluminum trim, otherwise very similar. I believe I paid $1200 for the set with blown woofers, 1/2 K55's gone, tweeters needing complete refurbishing, one K41 blown.. so quite a bit spent in rebuilding these.  There was considerable travel involved. 

I probably have a similar amount in another 4 way setup that had the Gauss  driver in the MSM portion and needed similar rebuilding. That set sold for between $3 and $4 K delivered some distance to a Forum brother. Travel costs money, travel with a pair of these babies is quite costly. 

I'd not sell mine for less than $4,000. But that's just me. Because I love them so. 

Insofar as the stories.. I drove to Atlanta to pick up one set (I'm in Indianapolis) and the other I got with a KP600 system from FL, where a R&B band toured up and down the east coast with them for years. They'd use the Sub and LF portion of the KP600 with the top horns from the MSM system. Those were gathered up by truck, loaded on custom pallets made by myself and Marshall at his home in FL, trucked to the FedX shipping facility, and I received them in 2008 while working at Klipsch. Lotta interest when those babies rolled up I can tell you! 

Edited by colterphoto1
  • Like 1

Sounds like your restoration project was a lot more involved than mine. Quite a few driver issues, and I imagine restoring a set with glass and trim would take much more time. Did you have to replace corners and edges, and where would you even get parts like that now?

I think the MCMs are like classic muscle cars. They've still got what it takes, but you find you want to treat them with TLC. I'll bet you drew a crowd of admirers when yours showed up in Indy.

As for components, fortunately I've not had to do very much. The networks are in great shape, all the drivers except 2 checked out fine (one missing K-43 and one open K-55, both addressed with genuine replacements). There was a bit of shenanigans in some of the input panels with bypassed fuse holders, but otherwise pretty clean. I've tried to leave everything as close to original as possible.

I've been dealing with a lot of scheduling conflicts so I haven't been able to get the system together for pictures yet, but will be doing so before the end of the month and will post them right away.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi friends,

Okay, I was finally able to get some pictures so you can see the set. The MMTMs are missing from the photo shoot because we found cracks in the flanges on two of the horns, so I have a friend doing the repairs now. Note that these are BBs, no trim, no handles. They're generally a pain to move, but not too bad with furniture dollies.

post-58842-0-71240000-1456021376_thumb.jpost-58842-0-00320000-1456024286_thumb.jpost-58842-0-03720000-1456024294_thumb.jpost-58842-0-31600000-1456021458_thumb.j

Here's a pic that shows what a previous owner did to the MWMs to make them more portable. The input panel has been recessed into the surface by about 1/4". You'll also notice a SpeakOn connector was added to the panel - something that was done on all the panels.

post-58842-0-38560000-1456023930_thumb.j

Here are a couple close-ups so you can see a little better what the finish looks like.

post-58842-0-11960000-1456024106_thumb.jpost-58842-0-43280000-1456024115_thumb.j

And finally, a shot of the faceplate from one of the crossovers with a Fort Collins asset tag that authenticates the set.

post-58842-0-58160000-1456024178_thumb.j

We had fun test driving these babies today in an 800-seat room. They are super sweet!

Jim

post-58842-0-97040000-1456023662_thumb.j

Edited by jdlanctot
  • Like 2

• 8 months later...

Hi gang,

I've finally finished work on my MCMs and they're ready to go to a new home. We had a couple deaths in the family shortly after my last post and everything that followed sidetracked my progress this year, but the work is now complete. Please take a look at my original post and the attached pictures for more detail.

In a previous post I mentioned getting new name plates for them, but the company I had connected with could not produce them. The current plates have some scratches but they don't look bad. Also, the logos on the fronts of the MSMs took some dings that a previous owner touched up with less than perfect results. Not being an expert with fiberglass, I left them as I found them. It doesn't really detract from the overall appearance. Otherwise, this set looks and sounds great.

Keep in mind I don't see this as a touring system - no handles or trim to make them roadworthy. Permanent installation in a 500-1500 seat venue, home theater, or some other non-travelling use is going to be ideal (although I suppose some of you more clever folks could retrofit them).

I have several avenues to sell them but want to start with the Klipsch Community first. Given their present condition and where they came from, I'm asking $4500 w/pickup in Minneapolis. If I don't have a buyer lined up in the next week or so, I'll expand my search to other avenues.

Thanks everyone!

Jim