Testing Khorns

willem

I am wondering or there is a way to "test" khorns ..besides listening :)

Why this question? .. Well the answer is sad .. I am getting ready to sell my khorns but I want to make sure that they are in a good condition so I can price them fair.

I was thinking or i could measure ohms and what ever trough the speakers and the balancers.

Hope this makes sense and looking forward to hear from you "tech guys"

Cheers

post-61996-0-86180000-1453689172_thumb.j

Edited by willem

Listening is probably the best way.  If anything is wrong you will hear it.  To be honest The only thing that would matter to me as a buyer is the condition of the cabinets.  I could fix or improve anything else, although I would expect a small discount for any drivers that were not working.

Remove one lead off the mid-driver, test for ohm reading there, at the driver.  You can test for ohm reading of the woofer and the tweeter at the crossover.  Not a "tech guy" but just went through the same to test a pair of La Scala in the McDonald's parking lot. 

woofer: ~ 3.9 ohm

mid: ~ 10.8 ohm

tweeter: ~ 6.7 ohm

variances of a few tenths of above readings fall into "normal".

To be honest The only thing that would matter to me as a buyer is the condition of the cabinets.  I could fix or improve anything else,

^^This ^^

Cabinets first, then mechanics.

Is it fairly safe to say that if the cabinets are nice and well cared for, the rest of the speakers are more than likely good?

The wires to the tweeter and midrange driver and the AK-2 crossover are all soldered connections from the factory. I would not cut any wires just to hook up an ohmmeter. 

You can place a piece of cardboard across the grill cloth to block the mouth of the midrange horn, to isolate the tweeter sounds. If the tweeters tweet, and music sounds right, chances are very high that everything in your K-horns is in good condition. Even if the tweeters need repair, chances are still very good that everything else is in great condition.

I agree with Rick.  Think of buying a used car.

You have two versions:

one is a rust bucket but, mechanically perfect and the other one has a perfect body but needs new tires and a tune up and new timing chain.  Both are asking a similar price....which one do you go for and why?

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Rick.  Think of buying a used car.

You have two versions:

one is a rust bucket but, mechanically perfect and the other one has a perfect body but needs new tires and a tune up and new timing chain.  Both are asking a similar price....which one do you go for and why?

i would go for the mechanical perfect one , so i know it performs the way it should be

i would go for the mechanical perfect one , so i know it performs the way it should be

Note to self:  Never ask a question unless you know how the respondent will answer...  :blush:  

no worries, i wasn't worried about the answers i could get .. always open for opinions !