Powered Amp, do I need one?

jlantz

Mains+LFE is what is called double bass.  The sub and the mains get the full bass signal.  Music is less demanding than movies power wise.  The loss of punch may be related to the amount of wooferage in the system in that large room.  Most subs have trouble doing reference spl down low and multiple subs are needed.

I usually run movies in PIIx2 movie (believe thats the name). I definitely don't get the punch i was during 2 ch straight. 

I feel like when i watch my movies I have 5-7 tweeters and a sub. I want that 2ch punch when i watch my movies. 

Do you mean PLII movie or PLIIx movie? IMO, they are pretty terrible.  I don't use them unless absolutely necessary (e.g., on Downton Abbey Blu-rays, because the're only recorded in 2 channel, and without PLII movie, the dialog comes from both sides, which is annoying).  I've tried all possible settings on my Marantz preamp-processor, and they all sound constricted and lack punch, except "Stereo" for 2 ch music (or "multi channel stereo" if I want it coming out of the back, as well, which I don't), or "multi channel in" for SACD mulit channel music.  For movies, whatever the Blu-ray was recorded in is the correct choice, almost always "DTS Master Audio" (fabulous!) or "Dolby Tru Hi Fi," excellent, most of the time.  It will say on the Blu-ray box which they used to transfer the movie to disc.  Your AVR should default to one of these, if you get out of PLIIx movie.  I believe PLIIx movie was intended for discs that were not already in multi channel, and virtually all newer movie discs are in 7.1 or 5.1 to begin with.  Any additional processing makes the sound worse.  Blu-ray sound is usually great and very punchy, if the filmmakers wanted it to be.

EDIT: When reproducing MUSIC, what is commonly called "punch" often is thought to be between about 60 Hz and 200 Hz (http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/images/store/irn/freq_chart_poster_samp_732.jpg).  A common subwoofer crossover is about 80 Hz, so turning up the subwoofer will only help a little with "punch" (but may help a lot if your frequency balance is bass-shy).  Below 80 Hz it is more like "rumble," i.e., the low bass without the "punch."  The exception would be the special effects (LFE) in movies, which often put in some artificial "punch" in the subwoofer range.

Edited by garyrc

I usually run movies in PIIx2 movie (believe thats the name). I definitely don't get the punch i was during 2 ch straight. 

I feel like when i watch my movies I have 5-7 tweeters and a sub. I want that 2ch punch when i watch my movies. 

Do you mean PLII movie or PLIIx movie? IMO, they are pretty terrible.  I don't use them unless absolutely necessary (e.g., on Downton Abbey Blu-rays, because the're only recorded in 2 channel, and without PLII movie, the dialog comes from both sides, which is annoying).  I've tried all possible settings on my Marantz preamp-processor, and they all sound constricted and lack punch, except "Stereo" for 2 ch music (or "multi channel stereo" if I want it coming out of the back, as well, which I don't), or "multi channel in" for SACD mulit channel music.  For movies, whatever the Blu-ray was recorded in is the correct choice, almost always "DTS Master Audio" (fabulous!) or "Dolby Tru Hi Fi," excellent, most of the time.  It will say on the Blu-ray box which they used to transfer the movie to disc.  Your AVR should default to one of these, if you get out of PLIIx movie.  I believe PLIIx movie was intended for discs that were not already in multi channel, and virtually all newer movie discs are in 7.1 or 5.1 to begin with.  Any additional processing makes the sound worse.  Blu-ray sound is usually great and very punchy, if the filmmakers wanted it to be.

EDIT: When reproducing MUSIC, what is commonly called "punch" often is thought to be between about 60 Hz and 200 Hz (http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/images/store/irn/freq_chart_poster_samp_732.jpg).  A common subwoofer crossover is about 80 Hz, so turning up the subwoofer will only help a little with "punch" (but may help a lot if your frequency balance is bass-shy).  Below 80 Hz it is more like "rumble," i.e., the low bass without the "punch."  The exception would be the special effects (LFE) in movies, which often put in some artificial "punch" in the subwoofer range.

O man, so i thought PLIIx was the best. I found out my blu-ray player had a setting (default) that put out PCM audio. I changed it to bitstream and my receiver displayed DTS-MA in Straight. Way better then PLIIx. I feel like I've spent the last 4 months tinkering here and there with my receiver and i feel like i just now mastered it. 

I'll have to listen to a full 7.1 blu-ray and get back to you guys. I still want another sub but i think this alone was what i needed. 

• Like 1