3 Channel Stereo

Mr._Music_Fan

36 minutes ago, Edgar said:

The trouble with that is the center channel is "A-B", so the "A" channel content in the center is in-phase with channel A, while the "B" channel content in the center is out-of-phase with Channel B.

See the article referenced in my sig for some line-level solutions to this problem.

How would that affect the sound?

Does that mean the method in the first photo is the better option?

I couldn’t find where the article you’re referring to is located.

If you feel as though you need a center channel to enhance your center image, you aren't doing it right. Focus more on your setup and room treatment and you won't need such a band aid.

From some of the pictures I see of systems on audio forums, it's no wonder people aren't happy with the sound they get. Even if ignorance makes them think it sounds good, there is so much more potential with a little work.

Not saying this is you, just a generalization.

Shakey

47 minutes ago, davestef said:

How would that affect the sound?

It would put a "hole" between the center channel and channel B.

Does that mean the method in the first photo is the better option?

I don't know what you mean by "first photo".

I couldn’t find where the article you’re referring to is located.

http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=235

@babadono the link you provided returns the wonderful 404 error, aka file is not there (moved or deleted) so a broken link.  The AES link provided by @Edgar may require membership in AES or cost to read?  I'd like to read PWK's article and see if I might affect a 3rd channel from 2 channel amp, but understand if the article is a AES pay service article.

To the OP, as mentioned if you are used to two channel music, a center might muddle the sound to a "wall" with the center channel.  I use 3 Martin Logans, and 2 Klipsch Heresy, but tend to turn off the ML center channel a fair bit when using multi-channel audio from an AVR.  Keeping the stereo image seems better than having the center active for music... again unless you have a hole somewhere in your sound stage?  Good luck.

Though it was fun to hook up the dashboard center speaker that way back in the day.  Center + to right + worked best for the driver.  Other way 'round for passenger.  Made for great ambiance with the right source, too.

If you've got two speakers you can put side by side in the middle, alternatively (maybe better) in the corners behind you, wire them in series "-" together like that.  There's going to be usually no bass in the output anyway.