RP-160M Bi-Amp with Marantz

majas

Hello, 

Iam a little confuse. 

I want to biam my 160M speakers. Do I need to connect the assign-amp (rear left/right) from the Marantz SR5010 to the top or the botton plugs on my speaker? I saw on the manual and It seems I need to connect them to the bottom and the FL/FR to the top of the connectors. 

Any advise and help please. 

Thanks!

I usually would recommend if you're biwiring (unless they have a second amp, it's biwiring - IMO) or just wiring in general to stagger the connection. In my set up I connect the positive to the top and the negative to the bottom. It honestly doesn't matter, but this way I don't have to worry about something coming loose and toasting any of the components.

Bottom line: doesn't matter which set you use.

While the specifications in the owner’s manual appears to indicate that you have seven identical, discrete power amplifier/devices that equally distribute power throughout the system to each channel, I would follow the manual since we do not have any insight into what actually happens internally circuit-wise (or exactly what "enabling back EMF" means) when changing the “Amp Assign” settings for a bi-amp application.

Just remember to remove the terminal connecting bar on the RP-160M speakers when using the bi-amp application settings.

Page excerpts for reference purposes from the Marantz  SR-5010 owner's manual below.

_ SR5010 bi-amp connection.jpg

_ Marantz (amplifier portion) SR5010 page 9.jpg

_ SR5010 Audio section.jpg

post-36163-0-75340000-1453998493_thumb.j

post-36163-0-79820000-1453998504_thumb.j

post-36163-0-29340000-1454000984_thumb.j

Edited by Fjd

I know you did not ask; however, since there are a couple of reactions to bi-amping without much additional insight, here are a few general thoughts regarding bi-amping.  Back in the late 60s and through the 70s the way I viewed bi-amping was as a type of “work around” when many of the affordable amplifiers were small and had low power output while many of the affordable speakers were generally inefficient.  In other words, the bi-amp setup was a way to give you more power per channel to drive these inefficient speakers. 

Given Klipsch speaker efficiency, the issue of insufficient power is not a typical problem.

To Scrappy’s point, the reactive elements in the passive crossover (e.g., capacitors, resistors, etc.) remain in the speaker and there wasn’t really much difference in sound, if any at all.  

At some point in time it was discovered that a bi-amp set up with an electronic crossover before the amplifier could have a greater impact on sound quality by removing the reactive elements in the passive crossover with the amplifier now connecting directly to the transducers/drivers in the speaker.

In general, crossover parts are a lot better today and the RP-160M are fairly efficient; therefore, I also would not expect much, if any, of a difference or change in sound. 

Given the above, when using electronic crossovers before the amplifier, a person needs to understand the risks and how those risks are typically mitigated in order to not end up with a bunch of blown out drivers.

• Like 1

I usually would recommend if you're biwiring (unless they have a second amp, it's biwiring - IMO) or just wiring in general to stagger the connection. In my set up I connect the positive to the top and the negative to the bottom. It honestly doesn't matter, but this way I don't have to worry about something coming loose and toasting any of the components.

Bottom line: doesn't matter which set you use.

What do you mean by this? Sounds like bridging?

He is just referring to his preference on how he hooks his wires. One in the top other in the bottom. Jumpers remain in doesn't matter how they are oriented since they are jumpered.

Correct.

The only reason that I stagger them is because I'd rather have the speaker stop working if a top or bottom post comes loose, rather than burning up the components inside. I've heard some not so pleasant stories.