new nearfield speakers! wharfedale 10.2 review

SuBXeRo

I tried oh so hard to find some good near-field speakers for my work computer and finally settled on some wharfedale 10.2's on closeout.  My office got moved recently and i had to shift around speakers and couldnt accommodate the Forte II's i had.  I tried using my RB-5's but as i remember for long ago and trying it again, they are tough to image being so close.  I couldn't find any wb-14's like i have at home which are awesome for near field but i also wanted something larger and with more bass extension.  Unfortunately, klipsch just didn't have a solution for me this time :(  .  Alas, I am OK with that as i wanted to try something new.  I bought a pair in rosewood but just sent them back yesterday because i just didn't like the color like i did online and bought another set in black, black is always good.

Listening impressions:

Excellent clarity and bass extension.  They have a bit more of a laid back sound vs klipsch but i can't reinforce enough the clarity they have.  I was expecting a much more laid back top end but was pleasently surprised at how sharp it still was.  Although less sharp than the RB-5's i have or wb-14's, i noticed some extra clarity to the music i listen to across the board.  British speakers are often described as much warmer but with this pair, i get a sense of neutrality with a tinge of warmth whereas klipsch is typically neutral with a tinge of sharp to extremely sharp depending on the model.  I was expecting the laid back top end to bother me a good deal but it's actually quite soothing to me, i suppose its just nice to hear a different sound that's clear as can be.

I will take some photo's of the setup when the new speakers arrive and i get them setup.

for those who want to know specs

Specification

Format Standmount Bass Driver - Bass/Mid Driver 165mm Midrange Driver - Tweeter 25mm Suitable Amplifier Power 20-100 Watts Impedance (Nominal) 6Ω A/V Shield Yes Sensitivity 86dB Nominal Frequency Range 40Hz - 24kHz HF Limit (-10dB) 44kHz Crossover Frequency 1.8kHz Dimensions (H*W*D) 364*223*301 (mm) Height on feet/spikes (mm) -

I tried oh so hard to find some good near-field speakers for my work computer and finally settled on some wharfedale 10.2's on closeout.  My office got moved recently and i had to shift around speakers and couldnt accommodate the Forte II's i had.  I tried using my RB-5's but as i remember for long ago and trying it again, they are tough to image being so close.  I couldn't find any wb-14's like i have at home which are awesome for near field but i also wanted something larger and with more bass extension.  Unfortunately, klipsch just didn't have a solution for me this time :(  .  Alas, I am OK with that as i wanted to try something new.  I bought a pair in rosewood but just sent them back yesterday because i just didn't like the color like i did online and bought another set in black, black is always good.

Listening impressions:

Excellent clarity and bass extension.  They have a bit more of a laid back sound vs klipsch but i can't reinforce enough the clarity they have.  I was expecting a much more laid back top end but was pleasently surprised at how sharp it still was.  Although less sharp than the RB-5's i have or wb-14's, i noticed some extra clarity to the music i listen to across the board.  British speakers are often described as much warmer but with this pair, i get a sense of neutrality with a tinge of warmth whereas klipsch is typically neutral with a tinge of sharp to extremely sharp depending on the model.  I was expecting the laid back top end to bother me a good deal but it's actually quite soothing to me, i suppose its just nice to hear a different sound that's clear as can be.  One thing that was important was that these things had some bababababassssssss.  They do and they have bass that keeps giving and doesn't get nasty sounding when you turn it up.  You put these suckers against a wall, within reason of course and you get a nice fluid bass foundation.  I had mine kind of crunched against my wall at home well testing on my computer there and the bass was a bit much so i recommend you let them breathe a tad.

I will take some photo's of the setup when the new speakers arrive and i get them setup.

for those who want to know specs

Specification

Bass Driver - Bass/Mid Driver 165mm Midrange Driver 

Tweeter 25mm Suitable Amplifier Power 20-100 Watts

Impedance (Nominal) 6Ω

A/V Shield Yes

Sensitivity 86dB

Nominal Frequency Range 40Hz - 24kHz HF Limit (-10dB)

44kHz Crossover Frequency 1.8kHz Dimensions

(H*W*D) 364*223*301 (mm)

Edited by SuBXeRo

Use the smaller brothers the 10.1's for near-field listening even though they are rear ported they sit 8 inches from the back wall have to let them breath a bit as you say.

The clarity and dynamics is what sold me on them, plus they are an easy drive. They image very well sitting just 3 ft from them.

Sold my previous speakers B&W DM 303's as soon as I got these, they handily outperform the B&W's.

Made a nice profit as well, sold the B&W's for twice the price I bought the Wharfedales new for. 

Have heard most of the Diamond 10 range and none of them disappoint.  Great bang for buck.

The replacements the 220 are supposedly better.   The 10's offer great value at close out prices.   The 220's have a downward firing port and could fit right up against the wall.

with the speakers close to the wall you get that hollow bass sound from time to time which is kind of irritating but i'm sure some acoustic foam behind could help.  I go my black ones in my office and my desk is mid room so no bass issues and they are just wonderful.  Only bad part is people keep leaning on them when they talk to me, i go RARARARARARA.

I am trying to hock some other klipsch gear that i have that is extra and being unused, i want to get another pair for home use before they are gone.  I love their looks.  The new 220's just aren't as pretty.

Edited by SuBXeRo