Washing Machines

colterphoto1

Michael, I'm with Marshall on this one. I absolutely love my Speed Queen washer and purchased it specifically because it's pretty damn rugged. Water in my area is incredibly plentiful, so I wasn't as concerned as others about going with one of their high efficiency models. Speed Queen still has a full 3 year warranty, 5 year on the motor, and 15 year guarantee on the transmission. Plus, they're built here in Wisconsin...so I guess I'm a little biased. Here's the model I have:

http://www.speedqueen.com/products/top-load-washers.aspx?mn=AWN432SP113TW04#build-your-own

Thoughts... based on experience for 40+ years...

Stainless; but do the research, but look at what the rental/ laundromats use. "Speed Queen", etc. Their requirements are industrial with the capability to withstand the great "unwashed" masses (now that was a pun!!!) abuse, etc.

I have 'shifted' to a commercial grade, stainless tub washer. It only washes clothes on three options  - short (sensitive), medium (who knows, I never use it...) and "normal". I only have "hot" and "cold", and "small", medium, or "large" as the options. No matter, as I have been instructed by SWMBO as to what is washed in what fashion...

2-3 three loads a day, usually "Small".

No problems, none whatsoever...

Might be a good idea to look at this method...

Regards to all

Marshall

probably going to try further for a repair of this unit. Manufacturing and design hasn't been able to overcome government interference from the reading of these posts and some on the internet. Remembering the light bulb and health insurance... more meddling isn't a good thing but hopefully we can design our way out of another quagmire. We now have LED lights at least. 

• Like 1

probably going to try further for a repair of this unit. Manufacturing and design hasn't been able to overcome government interference from the reading of these posts and some on the internet. Remembering the light bulb and health insurance... more meddling isn't a good thing but hopefully we can design our way out of another quagmire. We now have LED lights at least. 

Government meddling can be beneficial--seat belts/ anti lock braking? gas mileage? lead? asbestos? sewage? freeways? Freon? Panama canal?

JJK

• Like 1

Freon?

You know the new stuff is $20.00 an OZ right?

No but the ozone layer is recovering, the layer that prevents water evaporation from the Earth, this the biggest reason why they made such a fuss about it. Otherwise we would be Mars.

JJK

JJK

• Like 1

Freon?

You know the new stuff is $20.00 an OZ right?

No but the ozone layer is recovering, the layer that prevents water evaporation from the Earth, this the biggest reason why they made such a fuss about it. Otherwise we would be Mars.

JJK

JJK

Except for all of those space shuttle launches punching huge holes through it.

But, Australia takes the biggest brunt of those.

probably going to try further for a repair of this unit

You started this thread and jinxed my washer. Same day as well...the micro-switch on the lid failed. The switch is actually fine, but the plastic enclosure it's housed in is glued with some sort of lame epoxy and broke. This would hang up the switch, and keep the washer from cycling.

A new switch is 30 bucks.

I looked on Youtube for any repair videos regarding the Kenmore 80 top loader with it's lid switch. A couple vids showing how to defeat the switch with a wire jumper, (not safe) and a guy who shows how to fix the broken enclosure on the switch with a wire tie. Wrap the enclosure with a wire tie, zip it up, and the switch works perfect again. Two bucks for a bag of wire ties.

I acquired this washer for free, and of course if it's free it's gonna have some problems. This particular washer came with a dodgy timer...you gotta nurse it along through a couple cycles.

We just deal with it, but it is getting worse over time. 50-100 bucks is the cost for a replacement timer. It's easy to swap out, and would be cheaper than a new washer.