Is There a Solution to Flint?

Jim Naseum

Squirt - ketchup not included.

Have you made any donation to the cause?

I'm within the state and feel compelled to assist.

How about you?

I have just completed my donation to FlintKids organization to help with the medical problems of the kids affected by the crisis.

Thanks for the suggestion Arrow!

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

I'm curious to know where the actual pipe wall comes in contact with the water.  Old water pipes typically have a thick mineral buildup on the interior.  Somewhere i read that it was the service connections, but the stories are all short on the specifics.  

I'm curious to know where the actual pipe wall comes in contact with the water.  Old water pipes typically have a thick mineral buildup on the interior.  Somewhere i read that it was the service connections, but the stories are all short on the specifics.  

From what I understand, the increased level of lead came from the fact that they changed water sources.  The new water supply was more corrosive to the pipes than the old and pulled lead from it.  The pipes themselves aren't the problem it's how the old pipes were put together.  Old cast iron pipes were joined with lead and oakum.  You basically slide a pipe into the bell of the next pipe, stuff a bunch of caulking (oakum) around it and pour molten lead on top to keep it secure.  The oakum sealed the joint and the lead held it in place.  Over time, the water will contact the lead and can leach.  Smaller pipes in the water supply and in houses were copper.  Older solder that was used to join pipes was made from 50% lead and 50% tin.  Solder will flow inside the pipes during the process of putting them together which is exposed to the water as well.

From what I understand, the increased level of lead came from the fact that they changed water sources.  The new water supply was more corrosive to the pipes than the old and pulled lead from it.  The pipes themselves aren't the problem it's how the old pipes were put together.  Old cast iron pipes were joined with lead and oakum.  You basically slide a pipe into the bell of the next pipe, stuff a bunch of caulking (oakum) around it and pour molten lead on top to keep it secure.  The oakum sealed the joint and the lead held it in place.  Over time, the water will contact the lead and can leach.  Smaller pipes in the water supply and in houses were copper.  Older solder that was used to join pipes was made from 50% lead and 50% tin.  Solder will flow inside the pipes during the process of putting them together which is exposed to the water as well.

Thanks, very informative.  Cant they just change the water sources back to the old stuff and solve the problem?

Great video Dave.

I see one big problem.  Let's say you supply everyone with filters or bottled water for drinking.  That's great.  The only problem is that you're still exposed to lead whenever you shower or bathe as it can be absorbed through the skin.

Halo Burger? Oh yea!! Halo everybody Halo....maybe some Vernors to go with that.

My wife is from Flint and ever since she moved to Cincinnati she asks for olives on her hamburger wherever we go. The waitress will ask what she wants on her burger and I just roll my eyes because I know what's coming.

"Pickles, lettuce, cheese, olives (but you don't have any) and mustard."

Then come the looks as if she's from Mars....  Although, we did go to a Red Robin and at least they were able to snag some olives from the bar.

Edited by Mighty Favog
  • Like 1

• Moderators

No reason in blaming and pointing fingers at this point, just come up with a remedy.

I can't agree on that. Put a dozen people in prison for conspiracy and at least you might save the next town from being poisoned. We can't always say, "no need to find blame." I think this is a crime, and ought to be prosecuted.

As for the people, you'd think there would be a mass exodus. I realize many are poor, but you would imagine that anything or any place is better than staying.

I agree, you make management individually criminally liable. Then you send in a federal team and federalize the water plant and get it running correctly, and you bill the state for full costs and let the state go after whoever it wants to on a local level. You also give all workers whistle-blower immunity for reporting violations.

It would only take one time and you would never see it happen again. You would have state EPA's doing their jobs and monitoring.

I have a couple of questions.

Is the lead in the water right at the plant? Or does lead get picked up on old lead pipes. I saw a previous post where someone had mentioned water hardness being a factor.

Is real time monitoring of lead in water possible, or do samples have to be taken and tested individually?

If the lead is being picked up between the plant and homes/end users, then it is an infrastructure problem, and that is a whole nuther can of worms. It will be happening all over the US.

How much lead in in Ozarka, the other popular drinking waters?

How much lead is in the drinking water in the communities? A member six miles from Sebring, with high lead. Home depot used to sell kits where you mailed off your tap water to a certified lab to see what was in your water. They did this to sell water purifiers.

Is the EPA limit too low, or is it too high, reached as a compromise to give communities a chance to catch up?

Is fluoride no danger, or ad dangerous as 21 PPB of lead?

I don't know near enough about this issue as I should.

• Moderators

Great video Dave.

I see one big problem. Let's say you supply everyone with filters or bottled water for drinking. That's great. The only problem is that you're still exposed to lead whenever you shower or bathe as it can be absorbed through the skin.

I was going to ask if pb was absorbed through skin.

What about copper pipes, pvc, cast iron, do these leach anything that is harmful like the plastic did on older water bottles?

What about copper pipes, pvc, cast iron, do these leach anything that is harmful like the plastic did on older water bottles?

Copper.  It depends when it was installed.  Older solder had a much higher lead content than newer solder and apparently the more corrosive the water, the worse the lead leaches. 

PVC (and CPVC).  I haven't read of issues with it.  If there is any thing coming from the pipes it must be low enough in content not to be an issue.

Cast iron.  The only thing that cast iron is used for now (and it's rare) is waste pipe.  Lead and oakum joints have been replaced with rubber/neoprene bushings. 

I agree, you make management individually criminally liable. Then you send in a federal team and federalize the water plant and get it running correctly, and you bill the state for full costs and let the state go after whoever it wants to on a local level. You also give all workers whistle-blower immunity for reporting violations. It would only take one time and you would never see it happen again. You would have state EPA's doing their jobs and monitoring.

I want to say "thank you" for confirming that it's not "stupid" or "ignorant" or "irresponsible" to advocate for legal accountability in these matters.I absolutely agree that once a few of these greedy greaseballs go to PRISON for 10 or 20 years, these incidents will be less common.