Is There a Solution to Flint?

Jim Naseum

Is the EPA limit too low, or is it too high, reached as a compromise to give communities a chance to catch up?

Medically, the reasonable limit for lead in humans is ZERO! And I mean ZERO. Unlike many other undesireable elements in water, there is just no tolerance. It creates damage immediately. 

"Pickles, lettuce, cheese, olives (but you don't have any) and mustard."

Green or black? I've never heard of that before.

Me neither, I bet the right green, in the right amount, could be good.

She likes the green ones. Give her the black ones and she'll give ya the face of Fred G. Sanford when he looks at Aunt Ester.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Please provide the link please for others here that may be interested in stepping up.

Here you go.

https://www.cfgf.org/cfgf/GoodWork/FlintArea/WaterCrisis/tabid/855/Default.aspx

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

Are they legit? I assume you checked them out, if so that is good enough for me.

This is best article I have read so far, from Forbes. What the results of high lead levels in children in Flint are. The Gov's office knew about this going back to at least July of 2015. It all could have been avoided with an additive that costs $100 a day?

She likes the green ones. Give her the black ones and she'll give ya the face of Fred G. Sanford when he looks at Aunt Ester.

I'll never forget asking my grandfather (Italian immigrant) if he liked green olives.  He'd make the same face and say the green ones aren't ripe.  "Why woulda you eata those?"

• Moderators

I'm curious to know where the actual pipe wall comes in contact with the water. Old water pipes typically have a thick mineral buildup on the interior. Somewhere i read that it was the service connections, but the stories are all short on the specifics.

This article, I previously posted above, talks about some of these issues. The new source had bacteria, they had to up chlorine levels, caused lead and OTHER chemicals to leach. They didn't use corrosion inhibitor that is apparently used all over the country.

I am sure there are more technical and scientific aspects of this, but she at leasts touches on some of this.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/judystone/2016/01/09/what-you-need-to-know-about-lead-poisoning-flint-edition/#7c2f0754212f

These chemicals are injected into your water ON PURPOSE which is just one reason I've had an RO water filter on our drinking water and ice at my house for 20+ years.

If metering is off, any or all of these can be injected into the water at too high a rate and come out your tap.  I've seen first hand what  fluorosilicic  acid can do in a concentrated form.  It's a nasty acid.  That's the "fluoride" in your water. 

• Moderators

She likes the green ones. Give her the black ones and she'll give ya the face of Fred G. Sanford when he looks at Aunt Ester.

I'll never forget asking my grandfather (Italian immigrant) if he liked green olives. He'd make the same face and say the green ones aren't ripe. "Why woulda you eata those?"

It depends on what part of the Boot he is from. He may have just been kidding his favorite grandson. Italians are the experts on olives. They range, when ripe, from black to green, yellow and even red. Like wine, every region has an olive that it is know for.

Here are just a few:

Baresane: These brine-cured olives from Puglia range in color from yellow to green to light purple. Delicate, fresh flavor.

Bella di Cerignola: Also known as Cerignola olives, this brine-cured Puglian variety can be green, red or black. Large, mild and buttery.

Castelvetrano: A vibrant green Sicilian olive also called Nocellara del Belice. Instead of brining or salt-curing, these are treated with lye before rinsing and storing. The result: very mild olives with a salty-sweet flavor and buttery texture.

Gaeta: These popular black or dark purple table olives from the Lazio region are typically brined before storing in oil. Tart, citrusy flavor.

Saracena: An ancient olive cultivar from Sicily, also called Minuta. These small black olives are brined or salt cured.

Taggiasca: Grown on the rocky slopes along the sea in Liguria, these small, deep reddish-black olives have a sweet, fruity flavor.

Nope, he's never eat a green one.

When we were little, we'd go to the corner store for our olives.  They had an oak barrel with a ladle hanging on the side.  We'd just dip out what we wanted and they'd weigh them.  I loved the smell of that place.  There was provolone, pepperoni, salami and prosciutto hanging all around the store.  Even today, if I get a whiff of sharp provolone it makes me think of that place.  They also had olive oil cured black olives.  They were all shriveled and stunk but man I loved those things.

Speaking of Italy, Italians and preferences, isn't it incredible that the most powerful man in the Vatican, perhaps in Italy, perhaps even the world, chooses to drive around in the Fiat 500! One of the coolest small cars in production today, for sure. No Lambos for this dude!

I'll never forget asking my grandfather (Italian immigrant) if he liked green olives.  He'd make the same face and say the green ones aren't ripe.  "Why woulda you eata those?"

Shows what he knew.

Castelvetrano: A vibrant green Sicilian olive also called Nocellara del Belice. Instead of brining or salt-curing, these are treated with lye before rinsing and storing. The result: very mild olives with a salty-sweet flavor and buttery texture.

I've said it elsewhere, these totally rock.   And they are bright green.

You have to realize, they didn't send their best.  We got the criminals, the losers, rapists, and drug dealers.  Some I assume were good people....

My grandfather was a minister in an Italian speaking church latter in his life.  He was incarcerated early on.  I pried a few stories out of my father when he was alive (about his father) but there were things that just weren't talked about.  Seems my grandfathers brother was killed somehow.  My grandfather then married his brothers widow which was the custom.  He then left for a length of time and ended up in prison.  The common thought was that he left to avenge his brothers death but the actual details were never discussed when I was around.