RIP PAUL KANTNER

BigStewMan

That is very sad. I saw them once when they were Airplane, and many, many times as Starship, Hot Tuna and Purple Sage

were you living in "The City" during the Summer of Love?  (not sure how old you are, so don't be offended if that was before your day).

Talking to my brother the other night and told him that i would have loved to have been part of the Haight/Ashbury scene. I was a few years too young. He said he could have gotten into that as well. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

I was a few years young too. Although I remember being in the Haight being drug around by my parents, who would take all out of town visitors by there.

The concert was the Be-In in Golden Gate Park, it was in 1967, I was 7. I very distinctly remember Grace and Carlos, and this crazy white man playing the harmonica.

Volunteers was the 3rd lp I ever bought, actually a reel to reel, still have it.

We did live in the City then, in Noe Valleyarea, on top of a hill, where you could see all the way across the bay. I guess there was an earthquake and I think made my Dad move us out of the City back to the "country" which would have been Saratoga. Then Los Altos. Close to Redwood City, which is where Ampex was. Than LA for Ampex, and then back to South Bay Area for Memorex, Ampex started to die. Then he went over to Atari, and on and on

That is very sad. I saw them once when they were Airplane, and many, many times as Starship, Hot Tuna and Purple Sage

were you living in "The City" during the Summer of Love?  (not sure how old you are, so don't be offended if that was before your day).

Talking to my brother the other night and told him that i would have loved to have been part of the Haight/Ashbury scene. I was a few years too young. He said he could have gotten into that as well. 

You didn't ask me, but I lived in Oakland and spent much of my time in Berkeley and the Haight.  I loved the FREE concerts in Golden Gate Park and in Provo park (Berkeley).  Many name bands participated, inc the Airplane, Country Joe and the Fish, etc., etc.  One time (fourth of July) the mayor closed Haight St. to auto traffic, and the bands set up at the end of the street (where it dead ended into Stanyan at the park entrance).  People in the street and along the rooftops danced, as the rays of the setting sun streamed across the street.  In an earlier post I wrote about how the dirt jumped off of the sidewalk in rhythm. 

• Like 2

You didn't ask me, but I lived in Oakland and spent much of my time in Berkeley and the Haight.  I loved the FREE concerts in Golden Gate Park and in Provo park (Berkeley).  Many name bands participated, inc the Airplane, Country Joe and the Fish, etc., etc.  One time (fourth of July) the mayor closed Haight St. to auto traffic, and the bands set up at the end of the street (where it dead ended into Stanyan at the park entrance).  People in the street and along the rooftops danced, as the rays of the setting sun streamed across the street.  In an earlier post I wrote about how the dirt jumped off of the sidewalk in rhythm. 

Gary...that’s frickin awesome.  Wish I would have been there.  My family hails from Oakland; but, I do love San Francisco.  It’s an incredibly beautiful city.

• Like 1

You didn't ask me, but I lived in Oakland and spent much of my time in Berkeley and the Haight.  I loved the FREE concerts in Golden Gate Park and in Provo park (Berkeley).  Many name bands participated, nc the Airplane, Country Joe and the Fish, etc., etc.  One time (fourth of July) the mayor closed Haight St. to auto traffic, and the bands set up at the end of the street (where it dead ended into Stanyan at the park entrance).  People in the street and along the rooftops danced, as the rays of the setting sun streamed across the street.  In an earlier post I wrote about how the dirt jumped off of the sidewalk in rhythm.

You and Trav force me to date myself.

I was 17 and all about the music, the chemicals and the positive effects on our society .

Country Joe, Velvet Underground, Moby Grape, Mc5,Quicksilver,etc.

tc

• Like 1

Nice one Travis...what a cast of characters at that one.  I like Steve Miller as well. I wonder if Timothy Leary took anything that day?

In that day I think it was Steve Miller Blues Band.??? Back then music from Steve Miller was not the "top forty" stuff that most people remember him for. It was much harder.

tc

• Like 1

i was going to ask about Quicksilver; but, got lazy.  They don’t get mentioned in a lot of discussions. Bay Area was home to some good artists.

Quicksilver Messenger Service doesn't get mentioned as do many others. It was underground and counter-culture.

Not much air time for those groups. When was the last time you heard a Moby Grape cut on the radio? LMBO!

tc

• Like 1