"All Things Must Pass"

Jim Naseum

A documentary about the rise and fall of Tower Records. From a tiny record section in a Sacramento drug store to the world's largest record store, only to be crushed by Napster and MP3s into the dustbin of history.

A great story of a company, and its visionary Russ Solomon. Wow, now that guy had a rock and roll character and ethos! Considering what was acceptable for employee behavior, it's hard to believe the company could get to a billion in sales!

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Those are the best way to spend a Sunday afternoon with "nothing to do." 

Love the insider info.

Thanks!

Funny, I watched it on Sunday afternoon, which is usually my "documentary" time. 

Most of the film was Russ Solomon talking. So, the veracity is assured. He is one heck of a character, and pulled no punches. 

• Moderators

A documentary about the rise and fall of Tower Records. From a tiny record section in a Sacramento drug store to the world's largest record store, only to be crushed by Napster and MP3s into the dustbin of history.

A great story of a company, and its visionary Russ Solomon. Wow, now that guy had a rock and roll character and ethos! Considering what was acceptable for employee behavior, it's hard to believe the company could get to a billion in sales!

Did you get it on DVD, Netflix? I grew up on Tower records in SF on Columbus, and San Jose, I think on Bascom, near the Pruneyard, and Berkeley.

• Like 1

Did you get it on DVD, Netflix? I grew up on Tower records in SF on Columbus, and San Jose, I think on Bascom, near the Pruneyard, and Berkeley.

Amazon.

My wife and I spent every Sunday afternoon browsing the Columbus and Bay store after having breakfast in North Beach at "Freddies".  Man, those were the days!

Are you speaking of Freddie’s on the corner of Francisco and Stockton - kitty corner to Francisco Jr High? If you are, you should know that it is still there  - although Freddie is long gone! I didn’t know they did breakfast so it might be another spot. I used to go in there in the late 60s for lunch  and you would order a sandwich by ingredient " ill take 10 cents of sourdough, 15 cents of salami 5 cents of swiss etc. etc.” It was awesome.  Years later my office  was just down the street from there - or actually down the stairs - behind coit tower off the Embarcadero.  I would grab lunch a couple of times a week.  And until it closed I spent many a lunch at the Tower at Columbus and Bay.

Gee, I think you might actually be thinking of Mama's on Washington Square - right on the corner on the same street as St Peters and Paul church. The church where Joltin' Joe and Marilyn had their wedding photos taken. They weren't married there because she was divorced. They were married at city hall but took their wedding photos on the steps. Just a little North Beach Trivia!

Mama's is the place for brunch / breakfast / etc Freddies was and is a sandwich shop / deli sort of place. Of course I could be wrong but I dont think so!

Gee, I think you might actually be thinking of Mama's on Washington Square - right on the corner on the same street as St Peters and Paul church. The church where Joltin' Joe and Marilyn had their wedding photos taken. They weren't married there because she was divorced. They were married at city hall but took their wedding photos on the steps. Just a little North Beach Trivia!

Mama's is the place for brunch / breakfast / etc Freddies was and is a sandwich shop / deli sort of place. Of course I could be wrong but I dont think so!

No, I think I got it though. It was on Columbus, and it was called "Cafe Freddie" - not Freddies. And, it definitely wasn't Washington Square. It was much closer to Bay.

Ok! I am not familiar with Cafe Freddie. Love North Beach - still do. Although chinatown has somewhat moved in! (nothing against chinatown it was just nice to have both the Italian neighborhood and the Chinese Neighborhood. I used to hang at a place called Cafe Italia which was right down the block from Keystone Korner. I dated a girl who had an italian step mother and we would frequent all the italian hot spots! Brings back a lot of good memories for sure.

• Like 1

Ok! I am not familiar with Cafe Freddie. Love North Beach - still do. Although chinatown has somewhat moved in! (nothing against chinatown it was just nice to have both the Italian neighborhood and the Chinese Neighborhood. I used to hang at a place called Cafe Italia which was right down the block from Keystone Korner. I dated a girl who had an italian step mother and we would frequent all the italian hot spots! Brings back a lot of good memories for sure.

I tried to Google Cafe Freddie and came up empty. So, it's probably gone. We were living in SF all during the, 90s. Just talking about it makes me miss it terribly. We had so much fun, so many good memories there. I lived in the Haight and my wife (now) lived in Laurel Heights. Green Apple books, Tower Records, the MOMA, Ireland's 32, War Memorial Opera House, Farleys, Crissey Field, Fort Mason... Just a fantastic city to live in. Never a dull moment.

Today, we would need an income of $200,000 to live like we did back then.

• Like 1

I tried to Google Cafe Freddie and came up empty. So, it's probably gone. We were living in SF all during the, 90s. Just talking about it makes me miss it terribly. We had so much fun, so many good memories there. I lived in the Haight and my wife (now) lived in Laurel Heights. Green Apple books, Tower Records, the MOMA, Ireland's 32, War Memorial Opera House, Farleys, Crissey Field, Fort Mason... Just a fantastic city to live in. Never a dull moment.

Yes the City is the best. Wow Ireland 32! I played in a pickup band and we played at Ireland 32 a bunch. I had forgotten completely about it! You probably wouldnt recognize the Haight. Not bad - just different. I guess it all changes which is why memories are so awesome!

Josh

• Like 2

If like to hear that "Pacific Stereo" is re opening!

Now youre talking!  Lets go pick up a Concept Receiver! Actually the best thing that Pac Sierra offered was the speaker upgrade program. Buy speakers and you could trade them back in within two years and get full credit towards a new more expensive pair. Really good memories for sure!

Yes the City is the best. Wow Ireland 32! I played in a pickup band and we played at Ireland 32 a bunch. I had forgotten completely about it! You probably wouldnt recognize the Haight. Not bad - just different. I guess it all changes which is why memories are so awesome!

Josh

I know the Haight has degraded into a lot of dirty street urchins and worse. Even before we left we had moved to Dogpatch across from The Ramp. Another fabulous Sunday afternoon joint on the water. 3rd/Mariposa.

Yeah, the memories are always gold! If I win the lotto, we will be there in a heartbeat. I definitely left my heart..,

• Like 2