Any Experience With HDMI Extender ?

derrickdj1

I think I need something to make the HDMI signal stronger to the projector due to the length of the cable run.  Anyone with a similar problem and what was the solution.  The projector does fine with most BD movies but, many times have to press the source search button for the projector to get it to pick of the signal.  This is more a problem with Netfix.  Picture quality is superb and no problems with audio once things are going.

Edited by derrickdj1

That is what I thought at first but, the TV, BDP, ect have not problem.  Their HMDI cables are no more that 6 ft. long.  The projector cable goes thru the ceiling and wall and is around 30 ft. long.  I have read that the HDMI signal drops a lot at around 16 ft,  PQ may suffer due to long cable runs.  Problems get very common at runs of 50-100 ft.  Some of the extenders are powered.

post-50685-0-80580000-1454105993_thumb.j

Thanks for the info on active cables.  It is always good to have multiple options. 

After 25ft they are no longer certified for high speed. Standard speed cables can carry 1080p but it depends on the device is why we only list them as 1080i/720p. Many newer devices though if all you want is 1080p can achieve that with standard speed cables, you only really need a standard speed cable if you are running both 3D and 1080p. - Nick M., Monoprice technical support

Think of 25 feet as the magic barrier. You could go longer than that but you'd need to confirm that all of your devices will work with standard speed HDMI cables in order to view 1080p content without concerns. http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/going-the-extra-mile-maxing-out-cable-run-limits-in-your-home-170624

One of the glorious things about the traditional analog video formats is their robustness over distance. Our customers have run analog component video for hundreds of feet without so much as a booster box to keep the signal together. When DVI and HDMI first hit the market, many people had trouble running signals over even modest distances; 15 feet would be reliable, and anything longer was a gamble. That situation has improved, though HDMI will never rival analog video for reliability over distance. Here, we address why that is, and what you can expect if you need to run HDMI cable over distance

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/how-long-can-hdmi-run.htm

Pm me your address, I have the exact same one.  New never used, I had an issue with an HDMI cable so I purchased that to try and fix it.  Found out the hdmi cable was in backwards, apparently some of Monoprice's HDMI cables are directional.   But its yours as I have no use for it and it will sit and collect dust.

• Like 1

• Moderators
Have you considered HDMI over Cat5/Cat6? I have used this for runs of up 100' with no issues. Works like a charm.

We did this in our youth ministry at church.  Believe it is a 100' - 125' run through the attic of our youth ministry building.  I used Cat6 and the converters required two Cat6 cables.  Works perfectly.  Not sure what brand converter we are using.

The cat5/6 extenders works just fine. My set up has it going through the basement and crawl to get from my components to the TV, about 75-90 ft. The first set I had was from a company called binary. Have to check and see what I am currently using. When I upgraded my AVR I needed to update it as well

Have you considered HDMI over Cat5/Cat6? I have used this for runs of up 100' with no issues. Works like a charm.

We did this in our youth ministry at church.  Believe it is a 100' - 125' run through the attic of our youth ministry building.  I used Cat6 and the converters required two Cat6 cables.  Works perfectly.  Not sure what brand converter we are using.

Yep, I used this in a church setting as well. Output from the main worship PC to a HDMI splitter then to the auditorium projector as well as multiple TVs in the lobby.  And it does take two Ethernet cables per run. Used the same as duder1982 suggested in the first link.

• Like 1

I am using a pretty long (I think 50') monoprice cable to my projector at 1080p and it does fine. I think most of those cables are unidirectional and do boost the signal. Monoprice sells a Cabernet cable that is rated for 4K at up to 50'. http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=12962

EDIT: I just looked, and Monoprice sells a thing called an active HDMI cable. It is rated for 4K at 330'. Holy crap.....

http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13702

Edited by mustang guy

I like the first one you suggested Craig.  The second cable is $350, lol.  I should have the HDMI extender this week that duder kindly sent to me.  I will try and see if I have to consider some of these alternative.  Netflix is the biggest hang-up.  In between episodes on some movies the projector goes to the logo screen and you miss the first few minutes of the next episode.  I don't know if the signal from Netflix is weaker coming thur the avr.

With your screen in the garage, you should of had a pretty long cable run.

Edited by derrickdj1

Thanks duder, the extender arrived today.  My initial observation is that it has improved the capture rate.  It has solved around 70% of the delay problems.   Which is great and much easier to live with.  Netflix is the only streaming service with sometimes long delay problems between episodes.  It may be something related to the way Netflix embeds there signal/code.

Thank you very much for the extender and I will play with connecting the extender up multiples ways over the next couple of day. :):emotion-21:

• Like 1

I use 50ft, bought on eBay for $20 10 years ago, never had an issue with 10 different prepro/avrs. I have 50 ft to my projector and 40 to my pc. Both work great. If a cable 30ft don't work its bad cable, HDMI out issue, or other external issue.

I've installed several in wall 40/50 ft runs of eBay cables for friends, same results. A booster may help overcome whatever the real problem is but I never consider any less than 50ft an issue.

• Like 2