Speakon connector question

teaman

Hi guys, is there a way to hook up a "speakon" only Klipsch monitor to a regular home SS amplifier? 

There are a ton of cool Klipsch speakers that I would like to try out that only offer a speakon hook up and I have no idea on how to hook them up. Is there some kind of adapter or something? Maybe a speakon bare wire or something?

Thanks for your help

Tim

Edited by teaman

If the amp is strong enough, no problem.  I use the Speakons with my sub amps and run bare wire to the subs. If you have to attach the Neutrik, take note that some have 2 pole and some have 4.  The nice thing about the speakon is that it is a really secure connection and you can change out things hot.

Edited by derrickdj1

• 2 weeks later...

Neutrik is the brand name, Speakon is their type of connector (they make all types, including Powercon, which looks similar but is rated for A/C voltages).

The most common are NL2 and NL4, 2 and 4 conductor respectively. They twist and lock and have a very secure electrical and mechanical connection which is why they have been the standard in PA speakers for some time now. 

I make a bunch of jumpers around the shop for dual banana (the old stock Klipsch Pro standard) to everything else like NL2 or 4.  That way I can plug anything into anything else. 

if you have older Klipsch pro with the locking 1/4" plugs (with the red locking tab or without), you can retrofit the NL plugs into the same socket in the jack cup with a little soldering. Typically on the NL4, use the 1+/- for your full way connection and 1+/- for LF, 2+/- for HF if bi-amping the speakers. 

I don't know of ANY klipsch pro that ever came with Neutrik as stock connectors. But that's not to say that it didn't happen. 

• Like 4

"I don't know of ANY klipsch pro that ever came with Neutrik as stock connectors. But that's not to say that it didn't happen."

4-pin Speakon connectors fit the same cut-out as XLR connectors, and the 8-pin Speakon will fit the EP cut-out (as seen on EAW, Turbosound, etc).

Edited by djk

Thanks guys. I missed the boat on the pair I was watching. I appreciate the insight on the speakon connectors just the same. I really love the sound of the Pro line speakers so this will come in handy for future reference. JoshNick, those cables look great by the way!