Klipsch La Scala speakers with upgraded crossovers horns drivers - $2800

Dingman

I have a pair of La Scala's. Why do some of you on replying here think the pricing is high? I thought that a pair of La Scala's in good condition would be worth north of $3000 for the pair. And these have been upgraded. Not that I will ever sell mine. Will be buried with them. I love their sound. 

• Moderators

Like these for $800 - Link

Or these that recently listed

lascala-craigslist-deal1.jpg

Or these

lascala-craigslist-deal2.jpg

I would say these three would be considered very good deals.  It's not uncommon to see them listed between $1000 - $1500 but upgrading the components would not add $1500 - $2000 to the cost.

• Like 1

When Klipsch come up for sale around here, the sellers really do ask top dollar and more. Not sure if it's because they are not common in this area or what.

Not sure if they sold, but there's been a set of H1's for sale for $1K - hard to tell if they really sold tho, or were just pulled from CL.

I have a pair of La Scala's. Why do some of you on replying here think the pricing is high? I thought that a pair of La Scala's in good condition would be worth north of $3000 for the pair. And these have been upgraded. Not that I will ever sell mine. Will be buried with them. I love their sound. 

Here are a few random thoughts to your question. In my opinion it appears to me that most of the views expressed in this thread seem to be “valuing” the modification parts at zero incremental value and giving the most common selling price range that we often see for stock La Scala speakers in very good condition. 

While you can easily find outliers (I bought my two split La Scala speakers for $450 but the pair need a lot of work); and on occasion find that “minty” condition pair that may bring around $2,000, the group has provided the price range where the majority of stock La Scala speakers have actually sold, not to be confused with "what I think my personal pair of speakers are worth to me.”

The lesson I have learned in reading many of these threads over the years is that if I have any inkling that I may be selling in the near future, I save the stock parts.  The short-term gain of selling a few stock parts immediately after I insert modification parts can cost me much more in relation to the potential longer term gain when trying to sell the speakers in the future.

This seller indicates that he has already sold the stock parts and is now in a situation where he effectively limited the interest and demand substantially over a set of stock speakers. 

In my experience, to increase the potential demand and potential buyer-pool, I have found it easier to remove modification parts and sell the item in stock condition and sell the modification parts separately. 

While you and I may very well know the modification parts are worth more than zero incremental value, it is rare that you find someone at the exact time you are selling that is looking for the exact modifications you made (e.g., while I like the ALK extreme slope crossover networks, I’ve been using horns and drivers with 2 inch throats rather than the 1 inch throat models and would have no interest in the 1 inch at this time). 

Even if you do find that person that has every modification made on their own personal wish list, you will very rarely ever recoup the amount you initially paid retail.   

In checking prices of the various modification parts the seller used, I’m sure the modification parts could have cost him somewhere around $2,300; however, when you can still buy those modification parts new from the vendor, there is not much incentive to pay a premium, or even retail, in buying a combination of modification parts that you may not even be completely satisfied with (e.g., 2 inch horn vs 1 inch horn) in used speakers. 

The seller indicates the JBL 2426 mid drivers were bought on the used market; however, provides the new price in the advertisement.  In my experience buying used parts, when Jammin' Jersey is selling JBL 2426 at $150 each used, if a person is patient, the JBLs most likely can be found for around $100 each or possibly less. 

With a budget to spend around $2,850 - $3,000, it would not be too difficult to find a very “minty” pair of Klipschorns, often found selling for much less.   There were a couple of pairs of excellent examples of La Scala II speakers, including one pair that was the original Klipsch prototype, that sold for far below $2,850.

Overall, when a person is selling a “unique” combination, it may take a whole lot longer to find the “unique” buyer looking for that combination.

• Like 7

I paid $650 for mine.....now that was almost tweent five years ago....and yes they were "minty"

MKP :-)

• Like 1

How do we keep Mathews from seeing that ad??!!

Ha! - little spensive.  Plus, not ready to take on another project.  Those cabs need a lot of TLC...

Probably because LS can be found for $1200 and often times for much less

This pair, will be for sale tomorrow :D  - All original drivers, freshly rehabbed cabinets and recapped AA crossovers - $950

post-36834-0-23900000-1454209473_thumb.jpost-36834-0-59940000-1454209511_thumb.j

• Like 4