Pre Pro Suggestions

Pete H

I've been considering going to a preamp processor for a few years and it's time to pull the trigger but I have never owned anything but HT receivers and don't like going into this blind.  Here's my buying guidelines.

1.  7.2 would be preferred and nothing less than 7.1

2.  I want something with balanced outputs and not just RCA's

3.  I am looking to go used, in an attempt to get more for the money.

4.  Music is and always will be primary

5.  Don't care about Atmos or the number of HDMI's

6.  I would like to keep the cost no more than $700 and less is great (was looking at an Anthem AVM20 that was $350, as an example but don't know anything about it or any other pre-pros)

7.  My Onkyo equipment has served me well over the years, but I find that it's really not the sound that I'm looking for (I really want the stereo sound of my Sansui 8080 with the HT processing)

I know that's a pretty defined list, but this has been swirling around for a while, and I really need some feedback from those of you that have been in this realm for a while and can help with the process.

Thanks!

Beware these are all refurbs . 

Edited by sunburnwilly
  • Like 1

yeah! Lol they kind of specialize in that kind of thing. Great way to save money.

I've been considering going to a preamp processor for a few years and it's time to pull the trigger but I have never owned anything but HT receivers and don't like going into this blind.  Here's my buying guidelines.

6.  I would like to keep the cost no more than $700 and less is great (was looking at an Anthem AVM20 that was $350, as an example but don't know anything about it or any other pre-pros)

7.  My Onkyo equipment has served me well over the years, but I find that it's really not the sound that I'm looking for (I really want the stereo sound of my Sansui 8080 with the HT processing)

I know that's a pretty defined list, but this has been swirling around for a while, and I really need some feedback from those of you that have been in this realm for a while and can help with the process.

Thanks!

That's a curious list.

1) If music is primary, why 'nothing less than 7.1?' I might be in the minority, but 7.1 music is... well, nevermind that.

2) Completely agree that $700 for a preamp processor is very limiting, especially if balanced outputs are desired.

3) Accessories4less is solid. I have 3 Marantz amps or receivers from that site, all purchased over the past 5-8 years that are still going strong despite the fact that they are factory refurbished. I wouldn't let that slow you down, if you find something on there.

4) What sources are you connecting? That would help with the XLR output stuff?

5) I'm a big believer in Marantz, so that would be my recommendation. Pairs well with Klipsch.

yeah! Lol they kind of specialize in that kind of thing. Great way to save money.

Yeah , I thought so too . I'm on my 3rd Marantz AV8003 , 3rd time was the charm . It failed a couple of months out of warranty . 

What about adding a nice 2 channel preamp with ht bypass?

That's a possibility but my Sansui will be the straight 2 channel rig.

Is balanced output really important? At that budget it limits you to mediocre, imo if it includes hdmi.

I want them to provide an easier connection to amps, mixing board and active crossover.  I thought $700 on the used market would be sufficient, again, I wasn't looking at new.

I've purchased a couple refurb units from A4Less and was very pleased with them, including my current Onkyo (6+ years and no problems at all)

Why do you want balanced outputs?

Ease of hooking up other equipment I use

Thanks!

That's a curious list.

1) If music is primary, why 'nothing less than 7.1?' I might be in the minority, but 7.1 music is... well, nevermind that.

2) Completely agree that $700 for a preamp processor is very limiting, especially if balanced outputs are desired.

3) Accessories4less is solid. I have 3 Marantz amps or receivers from that site, all purchased over the past 5-8 years that are still going strong despite the fact that they are factory refurbished. I wouldn't let that slow you down, if you find something on there.

4) What sources are you connecting? That would help with the XLR output stuff?

5) I'm a big believer in Marantz, so that would be my recommendation. Pairs well with Klipsch.

1.  7.1 or better for the HT part but it needs to preform well in 2.1 (in other words I want a great pre pro to handle music and HT) 

2.  What do you think I will need to budget to get what I'm looking for USED?

3.  I know

4.  Active crossover, amps, mixing board

5.  Any specific recommendations on a used Marantz Pre-Pro?

I do appreciate the input.  Anyone know about Krell, Anthem, Lexicon, Sunfire

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHERBOURN-PT-7030-Processor-Preamp-/262276105828?hash=item3d10dfc664:g:uMsAAOSwoydWs6DI

I would direct you to check out Sherbourn. I own six Sherbourn receivers and pre/pros and they are feature packed. Most of them offer balanced inputs and everything short of Atmos. The PT7030 is the top of the line and originally sold for nearly three grand. There are also PT7020-C4's and PT7020a's on the used market at some really good prices. TrueHD, DTS-HD and everything else offer you some really good sound processing at affordable prices. I linked one of the Ebay listings above.

Tim

Edited by teaman

I have been very pleased with my Integra DHC-80.1.  It appears to meet all of your criteria, save price, perhaps.  It is a little complicated to use.  I was going to recommend an Acurus ACT-4, until I gasped at the price.  My Klipsch upgraded ACT-3 was Marvel-ous to use and sounded fabulous!  Alas, lightning killed it for good the second time. 

Integra DHC-60-series pre/pros offer a little less for less money, but the 60.7, at least, has balanced outputs. 

Edited by John Albright