Pre Pro Suggestions

Pete H

I like my Integra 80.3 and my 40.1.....did have HDMI issue with 40.1.... The whole getting it fixed thing was quite painless. The 80.3 is an awesome pre pro.

I am thinking of going to an XMC-1....because it's beyond all expectations.....

G.E.M

Edited by oldred

Ill 2nd that for $700, Id like one too.

Now I understand why you posted that.  Looks like 2x my budget won't touch one of the D2's

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHERBOURN-PT-7030-Processor-Preamp-/262276105828?hash=item3d10dfc664:g:uMsAAOSwoydWs6DI

I would direct you to check out Sherbourn. I own six Sherbourn receivers and pre/pros and they are feature packed. Most of them offer balanced inputs and everything short of Atmos. The PT7030 is the top of the line and originally sold for nearly three grand. There are also PT7020-C4's and PT7020a's on the used market at some really good prices. TrueHD, DTS-HD and everything else offer you some really good sound processing at affordable prices. I linked one of the Ebay listings above.

Tim

I will check them out, but never really heard of them?

D2's look like they'll bust your budget.  I would have thought that they would have come down a little more by now.

Besides having no HDMI (not a deal breaker for me) what's your thoughts about the D1?

I have been very pleased with my Integra DHC-80.1.  It appears to meet all of your criteria, save price, perhaps.  It is a little complicated to use.  I was going to recommend an Acurus ACT-4, until I gasped at the price.  My Klipsch upgraded ACT-3 was Marvel-ous to use and sounded fabulous!  Alas, lightning killed it for good the second time. 

Integra DHC-60-series pre/pros offer a little less for less money, but the 60.7, at least, has balanced outputs. 

Have you owned Onkyo receivers in addition to the Integra?  My Onkyo's been great, but I'm concerned with Integra having the same sound as the Onkyo I currently own and while good, it's not the sound that I'm looking for.  If on the other hand the Integra line is using different components that are producing a different sound, then that's something I would consider.

Edited by Pete H

Or you could buy my B&K Reference 50 for $350???

I see you own an Onkyo so what are your impressions on the Onkyo sound versus the B&K? 

If you really don't need any HDMI at all, look at some of the older Lexicon MC-12 models on eBay.

Still a little more than what you were talking, but if you want extremely good 2 channel and steal prices, compare with new.

Definitely a higher end Pre :)

Roger

The version with balanced outputs is well beyond my target.  Do you have one of these Roger?

There's also a Sherbourn 7020c4 prepro for sale at USAudiomart

http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649248528-sherbourn-7020-c4-71-channel-processor-new-open-box/

I've heard good things about Sherbourn but I've never heard them (I have heard Parasound).  The Sherbourn has everything you want and then some! 

I hate buying gear that I don't have any listening experience with, but it seems that I will end up doing that anyway, so I just need to search and decide and check the market value closely prior to pulling the trigger, so I can flip it, if it's not what I'm after.  Sucks to have budget limitations, but I prefer to take little steps as opposed to jumping off the cliff. :wacko:

• Like 1

Or you could buy my B&K Reference 50 for $350???

I see you own an Onkyo so what are your impressions on the Onkyo sound versus the B&K? 

If you really don't need any HDMI at all, look at some of the older Lexicon MC-12 models on eBay.

Still a little more than what you were talking, but if you want extremely good 2 channel and steal prices, compare with new.

Definitely a higher end Pre :)

Roger

The version with balanced outputs is well beyond my target.  Do you have one of these Roger?

http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649248528-sherbourn-7020-c4-71-channel-processor-new-open-box/

I've heard good things about Sherbourn but I've never heard them (I have heard Parasound).  The Sherbourn has everything you want and then some! 

I hate buying gear that I don't have any listening experience with, but it seems that I will end up doing that anyway, so I just need to search and decide and check the market value closely prior to pulling the trigger, so I can flip it, if it's not what I'm after.  Sucks to have budget limitations, but I prefer to take little steps as opposed to jumping off the cliff. :wacko:

Yes, bought an older used one without HDMI, but will upgrade at some point!

Coytee has some model of older Lexicon as well.

They are like a luxury car as they go for peanuts used as compared to new prices.

I justified it after buying my 4 Nakamichi amps for the quality of the piece without a lot of frill as I definitely like to listen to 2 channel Music through the TSCMs

Roger

Check out a used Classe, Krell, or a Sunfire. I have owned from all 3.

1: Classe was a stereo preamp but was a work of art, it sounded great, and built superbly, Here is a newer HT version...  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Classe-SSP-25-Pro-Pre-Amplifier-/252257711175?hash=item3abbbb3447:g:5lEAAOSwVupTpPWI

2: Krell Showcase 7 sounded great, but was an ergonomic nightmare. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Krell-ShowCase-7-1-Home-Theater-Surround-High-End-Preamp-Processor-Converter-/262280719146?hash=item3d11262b2a:g:TAkAAOSwwE5WaKRd

3: Sunfire was great sounding, well built, and worked nicely. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sunfire-Theater-Grand-Pre-Amp-Processor/172054155784?_trksid=p2322090.c100391.m3853&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D31356%26meid%3D66a854ec4ce4483399a76c80302d4c45%26pid%3D100391%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D11%26

There are plenty more models... I just posted the ones that came up first in the Brands.

Edited by ellisr63

I like sherbourn, but not on the same level as Parasound to my ears. If hdmi is not required you have many great choices. I had a BK ref50, nice , I have seen them as low as $250 for good condition. The NAD mentioned would be very nice. For $500 you could find many great choices but....I would reconsider the hdmi thing, are you sure it's not needed? Its gives lots of options......

• Like 1

I hate buying gear that I don't have any listening experience with, but it seems that I will end up doing that anyway, so I just need to search and decide and check the market value closely prior to pulling the trigger, so I can flip it, if it's not what I'm after. Sucks to have budget limitations, but I prefer to take little steps as opposed to jumping off the cliff.

Pete,

I might have a low cost solution for you to try. I was given an Outlaw 990 pre/pro recently on another forum. I've tested it out and it has a really nice sound to it but reality sank in and I don't believe I am going to proceed. I need hdmi for the set up I was contemplating. It does have DVI inputs if you want to try hdmi adapters.

Anyways, I will give it to you for the cost of packing and shipping plus 50.00 which I have in it for the gas and alcohol it cost me. It's in great shape with the exception of a dent on the left side. Includes both remotes (extra is for zone 2) You can easily get your money out of it if it doesn't work out.

Let me know if you're interested.

Outlaw 990 manual.pdf

post-51278-0-86920000-1455080212_thumb.j

post-51278-0-46080000-1455080243_thumb.j

• Like 1

Pete, I might have a low cost solution for you to try. I was given an Outlaw 990 pre/pro recently on another forum. I've tested it out and it has a really nice sound to it but reality sank in and I don't believe I am going to proceed. I need hdmi for the set up I was contemplating. It does have DVI inputs if you want to try hdmi adapters.   Anyways, I will give it to you for the cost of packing and shipping plus 50.00 which I have in it for the gas and alcohol it cost me. It's in great shape with the exception of a dent on the left side. Includes both remotes (extra is for zone 2) You can easily get your money out of it if it doesn't work out.   Let me know if you're interested.

That sounds like a deal to me. :emotion-21:

Bill

• Like 1

I hate buying gear that I don't have any listening experience with, but it seems that I will end up doing that anyway, so I just need to search and decide and check the market value closely prior to pulling the trigger, so I can flip it, if it's not what I'm after. Sucks to have budget limitations, but I prefer to take little steps as opposed to jumping off the cliff.

Pete,

I might have a low cost solution for you to try. I was given an Outlaw 990 pre/pro recently on another forum. I've tested it out and it has a really nice sound to it but reality sank in and I don't believe I am going to proceed. I need hdmi for the set up I was contemplating. It does have DVI inputs if you want to try hdmi adapters.

Anyways, I will give it to you for the cost of packing and shipping plus 50.00 which I have in it for the gas and alcohol it cost me. It's in great shape with the exception of a dent on the left side. Includes both remotes (extra is for zone 2) You can easily get your money out of it if it doesn't work out.

attachicon.gifOutlaw 990 manual.pdf

attachicon.gif990_front_huge.jpg

attachicon.gif990-back-huge.jpg

You can't beat this deal!!!!! OP... jump on this!!!!!! 

Pete,

attachicon.gifOutlaw 990 manual.pdf

attachicon.gif990_front_huge.jpg

attachicon.gif990-back-huge.jpg

PM sent, wow, such great people.  If it doesn't work for me, I can pass the deal along to the next person.

• Like 2

I like sherbourn, but not on the same level as Parasound to my ears. If hdmi is not required you have many great choices. I had a BK ref50, nice , I have seen them as low as $250 for good condition. The NAD mentioned would be very nice. For $500 you could find many great choices but....I would reconsider the hdmi thing, are you sure it's not needed? Its gives lots of options......

Outlaw is on the way!  In regards to the whole HDMI issue, and I welcome different view points, but I don't use them now and have them on my Onkyo.  I have never seen the point in running video through a piece of audio gear in order to switch.  My directv box hooks up using HDMI into the TV as well as digital audio into the receiver and my blue ray is hooked up the same way and I run audio only from my sound card on the computer to the receiver.  I don't always run the T.V. through the stereo for watching the news and general viewing so to me, it's a much cleaner and direct connection of my video and audio signals only going where they are needed.  If I'm missing a piece of the puzzle, I'm listening and always ready to learn something new.

• Like 1