Pre Pro Suggestions

Pete H

Outlaw is on the way!  In regards to the whole HDMI issue, and I welcome different view points, but I don't use them now and have them on my Onkyo.
If I'm missing a piece of the puzzle, I'm listening and always ready to learn something new.

The only thing of concern(to some) is the redigitizing(A/D) of the analog signal to apply room correction EQ.  I have never had an issue with it but some of the lesser or older AVR's and pre/pros may have inferior A/D chips on board and may present a less pure signal.  I currently do not have any HDMI connected to my NAD T175HD and using coax and toslink for digital signals and analog for Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD-MA.  IMO, the quality of sound is the same as HDMI.  All video sources are connected HDMI to TV.

Bill

.  If I'm missing a piece of the puzzle, I'm listening and always ready to learn something new.

Congrats on the Outlaw, I had the 990 and loved it. Its one of the best sounding prepros I ever heard under $3k.

I'll agree with Bill. If you just dont use hdmi your setup idea is fine. I did mine that way until hdmi was available on prepros. I also never saw the need to hook up analog cables from everything to avr then out to tv. I have a projector in my theater so its a have to case almost to use hdmi avr as a hub. In other rooms I plug in chromecast (music/movies/tune in), bluray, game machine, sat, tablets etc.....so the radio makes a good hub. For regular news etc...no avr even turned on, just tv and my sound bars.

If that 990 is still at specs you should be impressed, enjoy.

• Like 3

Thanks to Billy once again for giving me a low cost solution on the Outlaw, it arrived yesterday and should have it hooked up today to give it a listen.  I'm setting up to A/B against the Sansui so that will tell the tale. 

You are very welcome. Funny I just realized that the gentleman that gave it to me is also named Pete. I thought I was paying it forward but I'm actually just re-peting. :D

If it doesn't work out you can go for the three-pete!

• Like 1

I'm reading through the manual now and trying to get into the menu, but I'm doing something wrong as I can't get it to pull up on the 990 screen.  I can't imagine that I have to have it hooked up to a monitor to access it, but we shall see.

Sorry, I never got that far with it. The manual looks like it says one or the other?  

That whole process what a little quirky, but it had to be hooked up to a monitor and then I did a hard restart with everything plugged in and boom, there it was on the T.V. screen, but not on the 990 display, but I got through the input set up and crossover settings but I have to see if the other calibration mics I have will work to run it through the rest of the automatic set up, but we're off to the races.

I have never seen the point in running video through a piece of audio gear in order to switch.

Depending on your source, many pre pros will do a better job of upconversion than the players.  I send my pre-pro raw data and let it do the rest.

I get what you're saying but when I originally ran everything through the onkyo that way I found that the signal coming from the OPPO or the Panasonic BR player was better direct, which just told me that the video processing in both of those units were better than the Onkyo and less hassle.  Now someday, I may change my tune completely on that when I have a prepro with better video processing.  I will get around to running it through the Outlaw to see, but not until it's been run through the paces for audio, to see if it's a keeper or if I'm still searching.