Klipsch RW-12d woofer in a Sonosub build.

yamahaSHO

About 5 years ago I ended up a with a spare Klipsch driver from an RW-12d and couldn't scratch the itch of wanting to build with it.  I hadn't built a sonosub yet at this point and always wanted to try it, so I did.  To be honest, I could never stand the RW-12d.  I had two of them and they creaked and port chuffed like crazy, even without much woofer movement.  That said, when the driver was put in a better box, it really did well.  

The box is roughly 3.5 cu/ft and tuned to 20hz.  I am driving the woofer with a PE BASH 300s.  Shortly before beginning this build, I purchased a couple SVS PC12-NSD's to replace the two RW-12d's I had.  I tried to make this sub look a lot like them as well match their performance and I think I did well in both areas.   :)  It actually exceeded my expectations.  I am moving this year and have no desire to have another theater, so I've sold of a few of my theater stuff including the SVS subs.  The plan is to use this sub as my only sub in my living room along with a 2-channel of my RF-62's.  My theater never got used and I prefer music, so 2-channel + a sub should suit me well.

24687133816_2cda3cde81_h.jpg

Parts gathered.

IMG 0875

After some work with a circle jig and router.

IMG 0290

IMG 0291

IMG 0340

IMG 0327

Test fit and ready for finishing

IMG 0360

After sanding the overlapping spiral down and many coats of polyurethane inside and out to seal out moisture.

IMG 0382

Some damping and painting.

IMG 0140

IMG 0144

IMG 0150

Starting to look like the SVS.

IMG 0429

The wife sewed a sock out of velvet and used the same grill that SVS uses, however, I really don't put it on.

IMG 0161

IMG 0167

Base plate coated in DuraTex...  I actually just recently did this.  For several years, it had an uncoated base plate.   :)

IMG 0348

Finished Base Plate w/ DuraTex

Complete!  I have had a "Klipsch" emblem from my dad's old La Scala's (he's owned since new in '82) that he took off when he refinished them years ago that I was going to put on the base plate of this, but I seemed to have misplaced it. 

IMG 1352

And some testing...

bypass   klipsch sono Vs Svs pc12 Nsd Dsp

8f82c584 vbattach209856

IMG 0208

That is a strange looking response.  It actually looks solid at 15 Hz, but rolls off sharply at 50 Hz?  I would not have expected much below 30 Hz and I would have looked for it to be solid up at least to 80 Hz.

Shows what I know.  :rolleyes:

Edited by wvu80

It's taken at seating position in an untreated room. The idea was to see how it compared to the SVS sub I had, which I think shows it holding its own.

Ah, thanks for the explanation.

I fully admit I'm not a big charts and graphs guy.  B)

I've built plenty of horn subs. I want to build what you did now. I am very impressed! Never put the sub by the front door because gramps might throw his cigar in the hole in the top.   :)

How did you attach the wood to the sonotube? You tuned to 20Hz. Did you experiment first, or just use something like WinISD to calculate based on cylindrical volume? One more thing. External amp box?

Edited by mustang guy

Thank you.  I used Loc-Tite PL Premium to glue the end caps into the tube based off recommendations of others who had built Sonosubs.  I did end up with a 20 Hz tune, however, I originally spec'd it out to a 22 Hz tune, but the port tube was a little longer than the Sonosub program sized, so I figured I'd try it before cutting.  After trying it and testing it, Ed at SVS told me to leave it alone and run it as-is.

535355_10201219288560910_508404199235187

I used the Sonosub program found here:  http://www.subwoofer-builder.com/sonosub.htm

38957734043_large.jpg

I use a PE BASH 300s for the amplifier and it is separate.  I plan to make something for it, but looking to move this year and will worry about it after the move.  

Edited by yamahaSHO

Most excellent!  I need to get some TS params for a ton of drivers I can build a sono sub with. Thank you for your responses!! Great!

edit: I think I have my build... Thanks for the help! Starting a new thread...

here is that thread:  Dayton RSS390HO-4 SonoTube build thread

Edited by mustang guy

No problem.  Good luck with your build.  I actually enjoyed building mine and tried to make it look professional.  I personally think it looked better than the SVS subs I had.  

I e-mailed Klipsch about seeing if they had any RT-12d drivers left as I wanted to try one in place of the RW-12d driver.  I didn't get a response.  I am curious to see what a more robust driver would do in the build.  I actually built this on the bigger side in case I wanted or needed to replace with something beefier.  I could just buy something from Parts Express, but I kind of like using the Klipsch drivers.  

Edited by yamahaSHO

I have 3 dead subs, one with two drivers. I plan on either putting amps in the old boxes or building new subs with them. This gives me some great alternatives. The sub I am building will be using a sealed car sub I never put in a car. It's a brand new Dayton RSS390HO 15" driver that has never had voltage put to it.

• 2 months later...

It's taken at seating position in an untreated room.  The idea was to see how it compared to the SVS sub I had, which I think shows it holding its own.  

do you have the T/S parameters for this driver? i have a spare laying around as well and am wanting to build a sub for my dad with it. wanting to try a ported enclosure. but wither way need some specs and i remember you having this build. 

If you have the equipment, you can measure the T/S parameters.

You need: 

a really good amp

sine wave generator like a laptop or cell phone

some wire

a resistor

a 1 cu ft sealed box

this website http://www.readresearch.co.uk/measuring_ts_1.php

this spreadsheet http://www.readresearch.co.uk/utilities/loudspeaker_toolkit.ods

good multimeter

Otherwise, you could build an enclosure with the same internal volume and port as the one the driver came out of.

• 7 months later...

I have had a spare Klipsch emblem from one of my Dad's 1981 LaScala's that he removed probably 15 years ago when he refinished them.  I spent some time and cleaned it up and will mount it to the base plate with some double-sided tape.  It looks nearly new now. :)

Before:

31581742715_7ce39a83b0_h.jpg

After:

30740477304_2493157534_h.jpg

• 3 months later...