Analog cables life span?

marioramos

I agree, the wire itself should last forever.  The jacks might  be a different story, if they show any corrosion.  Deoxit might freshen up the contact surfaces.  I changed to gold-plated connections long ago.  And I had the manufacturer of my Joule electronics change the the problematic Cardas jacks to quality Vampire Wire jacks all the way around.  An excellent decision, by the way.

You might talk to The Cable Company about what they recommend and why, and if they have some good cables on sale.  Several years ago, they sent me some sample cables and power cords to try out, for the cost of shipping, They have some pricey stuff, though.

• Like 1

Id like to know the effect of gauge on length of run... is a 12 gauge a better choice for longer runs (say 50ft or greater) than say a 14 or 16 gauge wire?

There's a good chart on this page for such things.  

http://www.audioholics.com/audio-video-cables/speaker-cable-gauge

• Like 1

I love my Kimber Hero ic's. Anymore you have to tell them you want a different RCA other than their "ultraplate". They used to come with WBT 0144 RCA's but they were also $100 more per pair at 1-meter. I still went with the 0144's, they do offer them in other metals/coatings but those prices, to me, just get insane.

Haven't had to clean them yet, but maybe I should some weekend just to say I did. PITA to get to them behind the unmovable rack.

Edited by Mighty Favog

Id like to know the effect of gauge on length of run... is a 12 gauge a better choice for longer runs (say 50ft or greater) than say a 14 or 16 gauge wire?

There's a good chart on this page for such things.

http://www.audioholics.com/audio-video-cables/speaker-cable-gauge

Ty sir... something I was never sure about(ohms law). Although I have been usng 12g for just about everything including super long runs because, well, I bought a giant roll of it in bulk.. :)

Edited by Schu
  • Like 1