Recommended power conditioner?

Matthews

Wanting to give my tube amps a pure and clean power source.  I already have a dedicated power supply from the circuit panel.  Wanting in eliminate as much outside interference as possible.  At an affordable price!

Have looked at a few items but there are so many to choose from.  Can someone please help provide a little insight?

Thanks,

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

Look for a product with a toroidal transformer.  That will actually condition the power so that your device sees a consistent supply despite line brown outs or surges.  Often amps have such transformer built in.

Wouldn't you need capacitance for that?  I'm not questioning, just asking.

Are you currently having interference or noise issues?

Yes, everything is plugged into a power strip/surge protector on the dedicated circuit.  However, there is still interference coming.  Plan on completely isolating the amps on that circuit tonight to see if this remedies the noise.  I will still need some sort of protection though and thought the addition of a conditioner would be a positive move?

I run three of these in my home.

CCTV System

Wife's Tube Amp gear living room.

My Tube gear mancave.

"New" and free shipping is the "Key"

And YES, UPS back-up supplys are all conditionors.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tripp-Lite-SMART1500LCDT-1500VA-900W-UPS-Smart-LCD-Battery-Back-Up-Tower-AVR-USB-/151912069446?hash=item235eaa3946:g:VKoAAOSwGotWmx-o

• Like 1

I run three of these in my home.

CCTV System

Wife's Tube Amp gear living room.

My Tube gear mancave.

"New" and free shipping is the "Key"

And YES, UPS back-up supplys are all conditionors.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tripp-Lite-SMART1500LCDT-1500VA-900W-UPS-Smart-LCD-Battery-Back-Up-Tower-AVR-USB-/151912069446?hash=item235eaa3946:g:VKoAAOSwGotWmx-

Minermark,how often does the fan kick on, and how loud is it if/when it does? 

They seem to do a "self test", once in a wile.

I have purchased secondary 24V Batts that plun into the back of the units, buys you more time in case of power failier.

I run a plug strip off all of them, so everything that matters is at least protected/conditioned.

These shown are the TRIPP LITE models, i run APC same model(s) but TRIPP LITE has a great pricing these days.

• Like 2

Balanced Power Technology (BPT) is recognized name and they use a massive toroidal transformer. I doubt they are too far from you location wise, I believe around the St Loius area. These are line conditioning only, no battery back up.

Blue Circle is another which I currently use for CD/preamp and tube amps. I plug my SS Class A monos directly to wall outlet. They would most likely work within the parameter of the BC but their current in rush on turn on leads me to use the dedicated 20 amp wall outlets. You can spend some real $$$ on this type of accessory so do your homework.

• Like 1

The best way to ensure low noise power is to use an isolation transformer with a center tapped 120V secondary that one ties to ground for balanced power delivery. It's best to use a transformer with a 240V primary to keep the power balanced from the pole. Either that or use a UPS to power audio equipment. A simple power strip type "conditioner" is rarely sufficient to clean up the AC line.

Are you sure the interference is power related? The best way to isolate the problem is to put a scope on the incoming power and look for transients.

Cleaning up the power isn't going to cure airborne EMI.

• Like 3

Are you sure the interference is power related? The best way to isolate the problem is to put a scope on the incoming power and look for transients. Cleaning up the power isn't going to cure airborne EMI.

So after completely isolating the tube amps to their own, dedicated circuit, the horrible "buzz saw" sound is GONE :D

Talking to Matt of Tool Shed, he still highly recommends a power conditioner.  Damn, these things are expensive!!!  Looking at Richard Gray models and there goes the bank account, again...

I need some help?  It has been brought to my attention, many of the power conditioners available on the market today are no more than "snake oil" or more simply, elaborate power strips.

Help???

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

Edited by Matthews

The best way to ensure low noise power is to use an isolation transformer with a center tapped 120V secondary that one ties to ground for balanced power delivery. It's best to use a transformer with a 240V primary to keep the power balanced from the pole. Either that or use a UPS to power audio equipment. A simple power strip type "conditioner" is rarely sufficient to clean up the AC line.

Are you sure the interference is power related? The best way to isolate the problem is to put a scope on the incoming power and look for transients.

Cleaning up the power isn't going to cure airborne EM

Great explanation, can these types of parameters be found in medical isolation transformers? My friend keeps wanting to cut hole in my floor and run a dedicated circuit from my circuit panel and then run a medical transformer that weights about 80 pounds......

I will still need some sort of protection though

The problem with conditioners is all the marketing plus different goals.  Some of the best devices that protect actually work as power conditioners but they don't spend too much time on marketing that aspect due to superior performance elsewhere.  Some of the devices that tout themselves as a great conditioner doesn't work all that great as a protector even though you'd think they would.  Some of the UPS devices seem like the ultimate solution until you figure out that the internal MOV is basically just designed to protect itself from minor issues and not everything that connects to it during major ones.  It's all a bunch of crap.  

The most interesting solution to me is a double-conversion pure sine wave online UPS.  Those ought to provide the ultimate in conditioning yet they're not real popular.  Only explanation is the marketing.  No way a little $200 unit is going to perform better than those, yet $3,000 audio specific units use the same technology and are deemed superior due to marketing, yet they're the same thing but without the battery.  Makes no sense.  

Me personally, only thing I'll plug in to and be able to sleep at night is a series-mode like SurgeX.  Brick Wall or Zero Surge is basically the same thing in terms of construction.  I like being woken up by lightning and simply going back to sleep rather than making a mad sprint everywhere to unplug everything.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 1