New to Quality Audio

TylerW

Hello everyone,

So I am in the process of building a home audio system. I collect vinyl so I just bought a new turntable, receiver, and some Klipsch R-15M speakers. I'm new so it's nothing super nice, but I love the speakers so far. Just need some guidance on proper care for these speakers. I got them up to about 70% volume yesterday and they were real loud. Just curious if I can damage the speakers by playing them too loud in any way? Thanks for the help.

Also, would I be better off buying the R-26F model instead of the bookshelves speakers?

What are you using to power them with and what is the amplifiers wattage rating.

Distortion is what blows speakers, you do not want to be clipping your amplifier. :)

Roger

Edited by twistedcrankcammer
  • Like 3

So I am in the process of building a home audio system.
Buy a quality digital multimeter.
Just curious if I can damage the speakers by playing them too loud in any way?
Of course. Keep them under 10V continuous (using your newly acquired meter) and they'll keep going for a very long time.
  • Like 2

Yes, you can break them (via a clipping amp, or even too much clean power; all it takes is too much power for too long a time frame, whatever the cause may be, and poof, your speakers are toast).  If you use your head and turn it down immediately if you hear any signs of audible distress your speakers should be safe.  Audibly clipping amps tend to sound much more strident and harsh.  Woofs can also be driven past their mechanical limits resulting in audible pop, clunk, or similar sound during demanding bass material.  If you're experiencing either of these phenomena, turn it down immediately.    

• Like 1

Right now I'm just running it through a Onkyo TX8020 receiver.

Just curious if I can damage the speakers by playing them too loud in any way?

Yes you can if the conditions are "right".

The Onkyo TX8020 does not have a very beefy amp section so if you are trying to fill a larger room with high dBs, then maybe you should upgrade to the TX8050 which has a more potent amp section and network capabilities.  My Integra DTM-40.4 is the Integra version of the 8050 and I love it.

Bill

You can easily kill your new speakers playing them too loud, or pushing them too hard. I have clipped and fried tweeters with 200 w/rms speakers using a 40 wpc receiver. You would think that with a lower poer rating on a receiver that you can push it even harder since your speakers ratings are so high. Not the case at all. Once you get past half volume you are just asking for trouble. If it does not play loud enough for you to enjoy at levels you prefer, you may need to change speakers, and/or your receiver. 

This is an expensive hobby, but also one that can be very fulfilling. Welcome!

Tim

• Like 1

Thinking about upgrading to the tx8050. Good deal on Amazon right now. What do you guys think?

My Integra DTM-40.4 is the Integra version of the 8050 and I love it.

Check out accessories4less.com they usually have some nice deals

They were selling it for $179.99 but not sure now.

Bill

Edited by willland

At 70% it was loud but didn't sound like it was bad on the speakers. Thinking about upgrading to the tx8050. Good deal on Amazon right now. What do you guys think?
I think you should spring for a good multimeter instead...doesn't have to be brand new either, as there are always plenty of very good used ones on eBay.

Trust me. Using terms like "70% volume" is what will get you into trouble with your speakers...fast.

The TX8020 is plenty of power for the R-15M.

I recommend mastering what you have at hand. Could save you a sh*tload of cash in end.

• Like 1

By 70% I mean I had the receiver at 70 out 100.
Unfortunately, that correlates to nothing at the moment.

However, once you have a meter you'll know for sure what your amp is doing, and you'll be able to quickly identify and diagnose future issues. The entire thing runs on electricity, so just because the mass market stores and online retailers don't sell meters right next to the stereos, doesn't mean you won't ever need one.

Think of it as buying confidence in your system....which quickly pays off. :emotion-22:

By 70% I mean I had the receiver at 70 out 100.
Unfortunately, that correlates to nothing at the moment.

However, once you have a meter you'll know for sure what your amp is doing, and you'll be able to quickly identify and diagnose future issues. The entire thing runs on electricity, so just because the mass market stores and online retailers don't sell meters right next to the stereos, doesn't mean you won't ever need one.

Think of it as buying confidence in your system....which quickly pays off. :emotion-22:

science is lame.  :rolleyes: