New to Quality Audio

TylerW

Tyler,

Just checked out the specks on the Onkyo Tx 8020, and the TX 8050, and to me, that is a no brainer. The TX 8050 has 80 watts per channel vs: your 50 watts per channel which will allow you to play your speakers with more volume safely. Another big plus that the TX8050 has that your 8020 does not is the 8050 has pre outs, which means at a later date, you can grow the potential of your system by adding an outboard dedicated amp of higher wattage AND quality! :)

As to your Klipsch R-15M speakers vs: the R-26F speakers, how much do you have in your speakers, and what would it cost you to upgrade?

I truly do not have experience with these smaller new Klipsch speakers, not being a snob, just admitting my lack of personal knowledge, but I have the specs on both and will try to help you out :)

Roger

Edited by twistedcrankcammer

Just checked out the specks on the Onkyo Tx 8020, and the TX 8050, and to me, that is a no brainer. The TX 8050 has 80 watts per channel vs: your 50 watts per channel which will allow you to play your speakers with more volume safely.

FWIW, Onkyo's rating is on the conservative side...

http://stereos.about.com/od/stereoreceiverreviews/ss/Onkyo-Tx-8020-Measurements.htm#step2

And we all know that the R-15M in not an 8 ohm speaker. :wink: I feel he's covered.

It's supposed to be just a near field monitor, not for driving a living room. At 5.25" inches, anything over 10V continuous for any sustained period is likely to either melt the crossover or shred the driver. Been there, done that.

Thanks a bunch for all the help. Unfortunately I'm new to this and don't have a lot of knowledge. I just want a decent system that I can spend some vinyl and I also listen to a lot of webcast shows, and live recorded music. So I like to jam a little. I'm a big phish fan if that helps any of you. I appreciate all of your input. It's just a learning curve that in real excited to take part in.

I might switch to the 8050. Just cause it's a great deal right now and will hopefully be better down the road. As for the speakers I've only spent 250 on the r15-m pair. I believe the r26 is 300 for 1.

Overall, I just want to listen to good music. Sometimes loud. And not break anything haha

• Like 1

I wouldn't worry about blowing anything up at "70% volume". You just need to listen for distortion.

I've had amps that start distorting at 50% volume just by factory design because it just starts compressing after that point.

I've also had amps that don't distort at 100%. It all depends, you just gotta listen for distortion.