The Universe as a Hologram - I Dreamed a Dream of Life

Jim Naseum

First I suppose we need to come to agreement over the definition of what is really dreaming.  While we are at it, how about a definition for dreaming a dream as the title indicates?  Or is that merely from the department of redundancy department?

Edited by oldtimer
  • Like 1

From another site:

Inside our sleeping dreams, we also perceive bodies who seem to think and act and experience the world around them. Those bodies, brains and minds have no objective reality outside of the mind that is dreaming them. Why, then, is it so hard for people to accept that this world, too, is merely another dream?

Accepting that the waking world is another dream, devoid of objective reality outside of our minds, is the secret to permanent peace. It is lucid dreaming in the waking state. We participate in the world, totally accepting that is a dream and acknowledging that the dream has no objective reality. Once we accept that our own concept of self, of the ego, the “I”, is a complete fabrication, it is impossible to take it seriously like we once did. If you were asleep and having a lucid dream (i.e. aware that you are in a dream), would you worry about anything happening inside the dream? Or would you just go along with it and enjoy the ride?

End

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

The waking world would have to be a collective dream, since we all pretty much accept the same reality and are a part of the same experience.  Locally, we see the same bird or plane flying overhead.  The plane has a number, it is verifiable as the plane that flew over and then landed at the nearby airport.  That is why it is so hard to accept the waking state as just another dream.  Other dreams are much more personal.  No one who talks about their dream of the night before to another  then gets the response "I had the same exact dream!"  So there is a difference.  That difference is what makes it so difficult, to answer the quote.  Why do we all have the same waking dream yet other dreams never coincide?  So if the waking world is all a collective dream, is it really a dream at all?

Maybe there are just two states. A common state of us all, and a private state.

The common state we call real, because it is being confirmed by others. That makes sense. We all see the airplane simultaneously, and because that it so different from our private state we assign more importance to it. Reality.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

Edited by jo56steph74

The other night, i had a dream that i was performing CPR on an old lady.  She died and i yelled for a doctor to pronounce her dead. He did and put her in a body bag and wrote her name on the bag.  The name he wrote was the name of the first dead body that i had ever seen.  When i was a kid, we were at a mortuary after my grandfather died. i was looking for my cousin who was going to drive us home and i walked into a room and there was this lady lying in a casket.  The sign board listed her name.  The same name the doctor wrote on the body bag in my dream.

Why 40 years later, this woman’s name came to mind??? It was a creepy. 

• Like 1

The other night, i had a dream that i was performing CPR on an old lady.  She died and i yelled for a doctor to pronounce her dead. He did and put her in a body bag and wrote her name on the bag.  The name he wrote was the name of the first dead body that i had ever seen.  When i was a kid, we were at a mortuary after my grandfather died. i was looking for my cousin who was going to drive us home and i walked into a room and there was this lady lying in a casket.  The sign board listed her name.  The same name the doctor wrote on the body bag in my dream.

Why 40 years later, this woman’s name came to mind??? It was a creepy. 

You're dreaming right now. The one 40 years later was real, and the one 40 years ago was a dream. 

• Like 1

I posit you are not really dreaming then.

Unfounded assumption based on insufficient evidence.  I need no evidence that I am dreaming anymore than I do when awake.  When dreaming, the final anthropic principle is quite the norm.  That is, if I find myself in a train station I may think "Fascinating.  A train station.  I bet a train is coming.." and, surprise, it comes.  There are no absolutes, however.  Just as in life one may think one is in control and instead of a train a meteor may come flaming through the atmosphere or something. 

One might say that my dream worlds are distinctly my own, while I share the waking world with others and therefore my control of events is limited.  Pure speculation, of course.  I haven't anymore clues as to how this works than anyone else.

Dave

I guess the two main views are this:

1. There is a dimensional universe of planets, particles and objects with space in between, and we humans are special kinds of objects place within that system.

2. We humans are the universe interacting with itself. So that, without us there is obviously no universe apart from us.