Is my setup jacked?

jscaldwell

That is an upstairs bonus room from the looks.  Excellent for HT.  This type of room can really make a good sub or two shine.  Have patience and get something on the used market.  Try for a whole series or a least the front 3.  Be willing to drive a couple of hours to expand your search radius and you will find a good deal.  Post pic and ask about the price.  People are pretty courteous here and won't go out an buy what you found.  Be ready to act quick!

• Like 1

Good sized room. Still, get that sub upgraded to at least 12" then keep an eye out for RF towers with 6" or 8" drivers.

Look for:

RF-3, RF-25, RF-35, RF-62, RF-82

Thanks guys. Several of you have suggested keeping an eye out for used equipment on CraigsList or eBay. I assume you all have had good luck with used stuff?

By the way, it seems to me the RF-62 IIs currently at Crutchfield for $299 each ($200 off ea., supposedly) is a decent deal for something new.

• Moderators
Several of you have suggested keeping an eye out for used equipment on CraigsList or eBay. I assume you all have had good luck with used stuff?

Every speaker on this the list of speakers I posted earlier was purchased from Craigslist.  I woudn't have owned 1/10th of the speakers if it wasn't for awesome deals on Craigslist.

• Like 1

I've owned over 30 pairs of Klipsch speakers and only ONE pair was purchased new.

RF-62ii is an excellent model, but you can eventually find a larger pair of RF-35 or RF-3 for less than half that price.

I once bought a pair of used RF-82 for $200.

Hell, I'd even grab these F-3's for $150

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/ele/5419727309.html

And then resell them at the same price when you find a good deal on RF's.

• Like 1

• Moderators
Hell, I'd even grab these F-3's for $150 http://sanantonio.cr...5419727309.html And then resell them at the same price when you find a good deal on RF's.

Although I've always preferred the Reference Series, that's not a bad plan.  I only buy really, really good buys on Craiglist.  My personal rule is to only buy speakers that I know beyond a shadow of a doubt if I had to sell them tomorrow, I could easily get my money back.  That will keep you from losing money every time you upgrade your speakers.

• Like 1

Get your fronts on speaker stands...... Get them off the TV Stand....... Buy at least a 15 inch sub....... My large system was completely transformed after buying a new sub. 

G.E.M 

Suggestions on stands for the RB-15s (type, brand, material, stores/sources, new/used)? Thanks again all.

RB-15's = limited ability for your application.

I mean, you are trying to use them as primaries in a 630 sq ft room.

75w speakers, with 70hz response being "helped" by an 8" sub & a rc-52?  It's just not going to do real well in that large space even with the in-walls.

Stands?  Save your money.  

For what you'd pay for decent set, you may be able to find some floor-stand speakers that would better fill your room with sound.

I highly suggest that you establish a budget or these submitted recommendations will be of zero benefit.

IMHO - For that space, immediate gains would be from towers, a bigger sub, upgraded center, more power - in that order.

Best of luck to you.

• Like 1

Good sized room. Still, get that sub upgraded to at least 12" then keep an eye out for RF towers with 6" or 8" drivers.

Look for:

RF-3, RF-25, RF-35, RF-62, RF-82

Thanks guys. Several of you have suggested keeping an eye out for used equipment on CraigsList or eBay. I assume you all have had good luck with used stuff?

By the way, it seems to me the RF-62 IIs currently at Crutchfield for $299 each ($200 off ea., supposedly) is a decent deal for something new.

We don't know your budget, but with what you have purchased so far, it looks like you are not wanting to spend a large amount and we are trying to be sensitive to that and help you out :)

Klpisch makes speakers that are $20,000 for a pair, and the ones most of us prefer are $12,000 a pair new. You can get the $12,000 model for $3,000 if about 15 years old or so, and they are still great!! :) So we want to help get you into a much better sound without breaking the bank.

A little info for you; Klipsch was started by an actual genius that could have done well at any field he could have possibly been interested in, his name was Paul Wilbur Klipsch. 

Paul had two wives, the first one died, and he never had any kids. Paul sold the company to a very distant cousin that he did not even know about named Fred Klipsch. Fred started selling additional models of speakers built in China and selling under the Klipsch Name and grew the company. Fred sold Klipsch corp to AudioVox who owns the company to this day.

All of the speakers that the founder, Paul Klipsch designed, are still built new in Hope, Arkansas and are called the Heritage line of speakers.

If at all possible, I would steer you to the smallest and cheapest of these for your front 3 speakers. Look them up used on eBay, they are called Heresies. The sound improvement will be immense!!!

As others have stated, your center and your sub are the two most important for movies, when you change to music, it is your front left and right, I have tried to cover both music and movies with upgrading the front three speakers.

You asked about front highs and or rear surrounds. For the time being, a good 5.1 surround system will blow the doors off of a mediocre 7.1 system. You need to upgrade your front end and sub big time! :)

I have a ton of information if you give me a call.

Roger

I would first get some good mains and use those bookshelves as surrounds then get a subwoofer. You can get a center channel later and its actually not as important unless you are willing to really invest in a good one that matches your mains.

These are not pretty but would rock in your space and are an awesome value:

https://austin.craigslist.org/msg/5422330450.html

As for the sub, yes get at least a 15''. Its the difference between hearing a sub rattle in a corner and having who whole room shake with deep bass which is something I never experienced until I got my 15'' hooked up. It makes you look around the room like WTF is going on???? :o  Especially video games, I am playing HALO 3 again with my new sub hooked up and even small things like standing by the plasma shields pulsate your room. 

Parts express makes kits you can build like this 15'' reference sub:

http://www.parts-express.com/yung-sd500-500w-class-d-subwoofer-plate-amplifier-module-no-boost--301-512

500W Plate Amp:

http://www.parts-express.com/yung-sd500-500w-class-d-subwoofer-plate-amplifier-module-no-boost--301-512

For $476 you can have a sub that will easily rival $1000 + subs.

(These components will also let you build things like the Cinema f-20 horn loaded sub and other cool configurations.)

I am not sure what your budget is but for those Pro Hersey's and a killer sub you can rock out for $771. Dont worry about the reciever as long as it has the functionality you want as it has plenty of power.