Center channel upgrade help

dpbo72

New to the forum and not very savy when it comes to audio/home theater setup(savy enough to know klipsh is way to go though) so please forgive any stupid question or remark. First introduced to klipsh a long time ago when I purchased the 2.1 pro media computer speaker system. I now have the Quintet III series 5.1 with synergy sub-10 sub. Buying new house and upgrading tv to 58" 4K tv so I thought about maybe starting upgrade of surround sound starting with the center channel first. It's all connected to older yamaha RX-V463 AVR. I'm looking at upgrading to the R-25C but noticed that for not too much more I could get the RP-250C. I was just wondering if either of those would be "too much speaker" for the rest of the quintet satellite speakers and if so which center speaker would be a better option. Thanks in advance. 

R-25c is Best Buy poo poo. "Fake" reference. Get the reference premiere stuff. Ifnyounhave to buy new. OR tell us where you are located and let us spend your money much more wisely on the used market and find you even better speakers. Also how big is your room? And what's your movie to music ratio?

Thanks Scrappy for the info on the R-25. I'm sure it's a good speaker and better than what I have but just like I was thinking the difference to go up to say the  RP-250 is probably worth it. I'm definitely not looking to upgrade everything because that's just not in the budget now. I was just wondering if I got the 250 would it be "too much speaker" for the rest of the quintet III satellite speakers I currently have. Would the center channel just drown out everything else and it wouldn't sound right? I've been looking at other options and perhaps maybe a synergy C-2 or C-20 would work better with what I have(or even just finding a quintet series 5 center)? Just looking for opinions on what would work best.

The house we're moving into is definitely too big for the setup I have now but replacing all the speakers just isn't an option now so I'm trying to do what I can. Don't have exact measurements but the living room, dining room, and kitchen all all open to each other so it's a pretty big open space with all hardwood floors. Definitely watch more movies/tv than listen to music(which mainly do thru pandora on the roku). I'm upgrading from 37" to 58" 4K tv so thought a center channel upgrade would be nice. I live in the St Louis area 63129. Thanks for the advice.

Not too far from me. Yeah any larger center is gonna be an upgrade. Quintets are cool for what they are but they aren't serious speakers by any means. No such thing as overkill. It can be dialed back to blend in with the other speakers. Won't be long though and you'll be wanting bigger mains.

• Like 1

Not too far from me. Yeah any larger center is gonna be an upgrade. Quintets are cool for what they are but they aren't serious speakers by any means. No such thing as overkill. It can be dialed back to blend in with the other speakers. Won't be long though and you'll be wanting bigger mains.

First of all Welcome!

I agree with scrappy here -

You will not ever regret having more center. You could very well find yourself wanting more from it if you get a smaller one, it carries the weight on movies so go as big as you can on this element! Good luck and enjoy!

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum, DP.

There is not much for me to add as Scrappy and Alaska Dave said it all, I agree with both.  I am firmly in the camp of having a strong center speaker as the most important one and it can be balanced with the L/R via the AVR.  Don't worry about getting "too much" center speaker.  A good quality center speaker gives you clear dialog, not necessarily loud dialog.

You don't know us but we know Scrappy and I can tell you he will give you solid advice and would be an excellent consultant to help you find what speakers are available, which mains match which centers, all within your budget.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

Thanks everyone for your input. Scrappy, thanks for the offer on those RB-25's. So, my BEST option would be to go with those and pair them with a RP-250 or an RC series(RC-52 RC-25 or similar) it looks like. Those 25's can be wall mounted right. I have 2 little ones that would constantly be playing with them if not.

If I have to settle for cheapest way to improve what's your thoughts about the synergy C-2 or C-20. It would be an increase from .75 to 1" tweeter and 3.5" to 5.25" on the midrange and 75/300W to 100/400W on the power. Those both look like they'd be an improvement over the quintet center I have now and look to be pretty compatible. I suggested those because I see a lot of them available. What would be the max I should pay and what's the difference between those two? How about any good places to shop on line for used other than ebay?

Thanks everyone for your input. Scrappy, thanks for the offer on those RB-25's. So, my BEST option would be to go with those and pair them with a RP-250 or an RC series(RC-52 RC-25 or similar) it looks like. Those 25's can be wall mounted right. I have 2 little ones that would constantly be playing with them if not.

If I have to settle for cheapest way to improve what's your thoughts about the synergy C-2 or C-20. It would be an increase from .75 to 1" tweeter and 3.5" to 5.25" on the midrange and 75/300W to 100/400W on the power. Those both look like they'd be an improvement over the quintet center I have now and look to be pretty compatible. I suggested those because I see a lot of them available. What would be the max I should pay and what's the difference between those two? How about any good places to shop on line for used other than ebay?

The RC-25 would match better and would be cheaper to buy, I have ran across a few on ebay resently for cheap. I have one sitting in my closet doing nothing since I bought it, but shipping to you would be killer.

And yes the RB-25's are front ported so they can be wall mounted (keyhole rear mount) or tight to the wall on a shelf.

You don't know us but we know Scrappy and I can tell you he will give you solid advice and would be an excellent consultant to help you find what speakers are available, which mains match which centers, all within your budget.

And Scrappy has owned just about everything at one time or another, so take his advice with a little extra credibility.

• Like 2

Thanks guys. Means a lot! I do what I do so I can provide guidance to new comers like the OP. And like Clinton said, rc-25 would be best match. And can be found cheap. Craigslist is a great source for used. Just make sure you hear what your gonna buy. And feel the buyer out before you go to anyone's home. Id steer clear of a few certain neighborhoods in St. Louis. Let me know if your interested. Shoot if you made the drive out here to pick these up I'm a little less than 4 hours last time I came that way, I have a we latch of knowledge to share and you can hear some cool stuff I have as well.

• Like 1

I ended up buying a KC-25 on amazon for $125. Looked but didn't see any RC-25's. I had $75 in gift cards from work so it only ended up costing me $50 so figured that was a pretty good deal. Scappy I sent you a personal message about maybe in the future taking those rb-25's off your hands you offered earlier. 

Thanks so much everyone for your suggestions and recommendations. From what I could tell, the KC-25 seems like a pretty nice speaker and definitely better than my quintet center I have now.

One more question sort of on same topic. The new 4K tv I'm buying has the 4K up-scaling built into it. My receiver doesn't and won't for a while. So my best option is to connect everything directly to tv(has 5 hdmi ports) and run an optical digital cable for sound from tv to receiver. That way the tv will upscale the signal and I still get my surround sound right?

Welcome dpbo, Scrappy has a lot of good advice, the man has owned it all, he's a great source of knowledge.

(plus he just invited us all to his house for a huge Superbowl party) WOOHOO :D

thanks buddy.

Got a member coming over tonight for a demo. Then tomorrow I sadly will not be watching the super bowl and instead stripping all after markets parts off my motorcycle and it will be traded in. Kind of a bummer to get rid of my Harley. Seems soon. But i never have time to ride or any friends to ride with for that matter. All my friends got rid of their bikes.

I have an RC52 I am thinking of upgrading and might sell, if you are considering going that way...

• 3 years later...

walking up an old thread for my first post but it seems related.  Duly noted that i'm not an audiophile by any stretch, so I have some learning to do.

New to home theater but not new to Klipsch, have run promedia 2.1, 5.1 and thx for many years mostly off my computer or using the aux  but after bumping my TV up to 55" and getting a new entertainment center I decided to dive into a legit system.  

Shopping the used electronics market on CL and FB I got started with a Sony Str-DN850 7.1 for the receiver and picked up a R10-swi for the wireless sub, got a great price on both.   Currently have this set up as a 3.1 using my old 5.1 promedia speakers for L/R/Center on the entertainment center along with the sub in the back corner.   Honestly they sound good, but its time to get some legit replacement for those 3 up front, its unlikely that I will use any surround setup, except down the line so i'm focusing strictly on the front for now. 

Looking at a couple options for the center channel, and I have these 3 available locally on CL.  (SW Florida) I'm not limiting myself to these, its just whats out there now.

SC1 $80

KC-25 $105 (2 for 170)

R25C $130 * This is my first choice  < but admittedly because its just so pretty :) 

Assuming the R25C is a good choice,  the price seems fair enough, would plan match it with a pair of R bookshelf options that I will need to keep under 13" high If I remember my shelf measurements correctly.  <i'll double check that. 

Room is 14 x 18  with 14' cathedral ceilings and open on the left side to the eat in, kitchen, etc so I have a pretty big space but will focus on the actual family room portion and the couch on the back wall.  Currently the mini speakers are on the top shelf of the entertainment center about 5' high above the TV and again, they aren't disappointing, but I know that it could sound so much better.  Would use this about 50% movies and tv, 40% music, 10% music concerts < I have a decent digital and dvd collection.

is the R25C a good starting point or should I be looking at a step up from that?  I really can't find the space for anything larger and still have room for the bookshelf speakers as the space is approx 13" X 52 where I need to place the 3, I have room for floor standing but honestly prefer the bookshelf option so they semi-disappear rather than being out in the open.   

If the R25 is a decent choice I'd like to hear opinions on a good bookshelf match (both aesthetically and for sound) for the L R that will fit inside my space limitations. 

I get a bit of sick pleasure out of shopping for bargains so i'm willing to wait if necessary for the right models to show up, but not forever. 

First off: I'm feeling confident that pretty much ANY option I get will be a noticeable upgrade from using the older 5.1 speakers that I pilfered off my old system, but I don't want to end up purchasing something that I'll want to upgrade from in short order. 

Any issue with my previous decision to purchase the Sony Receiver and/or the R10?  Honestly the R10 is quite overpowering right now I have it dam near on the lowest setting possible with the dials on the back for 90% of the time, but will occasionally turn them up just a tad when watching or listening at higher levels. 

So in summary:

Is the Sony Dn850 a decent receiver

Is the R10wi a good start

will I be happy with the R25C for now and the immediate future

Is there a good recommendation for matching bookshelf options to go with the above?

Again, I likely won't add surround, its not critical to me + I don't want to run wires to the back of the room or bear the expense of powered wireless surrounds at least now, baby steps.

TBH if you have the room just go to the R-28f( R-280f, R-820f ) towers and be done with it. I went a similar path as you Promedia 5.1 to RF-800 (another older version)  towers with the RC-500 (older version of R25C) then to RFiii's then to Las Scala II's.

The biggest "WOW" factor in that line was when I went from the pro media's to the RF-800 towers. The center and sub you already have are a match for them towers.

I pulled the trigger on the r25c, amazing difference but of course now it overpowers the little baby LR speakers so that will have to be addressed, preferably with bookshelf options that fall inside my 11" size limit, or maybe 13" if I move a shelf around to squeeze more space.  

I appreciate the input that the towers are the best option, but realistically it's just not in the cards, i really want to bury them on the shelf so they blend in with the new center.

The center is a bit strong on the base, (quite strong actually) I might need to tweak that a bit with speakers settings but i'll deal with that once I get new LR, no point in messing with it much now with future purchases pending.

Basically I need to get some small bookshelf options that pack some real punch in a small 11"-13" package that will blend visually but don't fall short on sound.

Any specific suggestions?

SB1 or R14/R15  size (12.5 tall) or smaller if possible?

R-14M?  < that's under 10"

Edited by Spim