For Sale: HK 430 Fully Restored

SWL

Delicious pictures. Love the 430 and 730.

Riv.....you asked me in another thread about how my restored Marantz 2230 sounded compared to my now restored HK 430. The 430 takes it and I was surprised. I love the sound of that 2230 but the 430 throws a larger sound and is cleaner.

Thanks for responding.  I was curious how you found the HK's compared to Marantz.

I've owned two vintage Marantz receivers and had the same experience.  The Marantz were good but I like the sound of the 430 and 730 better.  At that time of comparison all my gear was original.

The Marantz were good but I like the sound of the 430 and 730 better. At that time of comparison all my gear was original.

Hey Riv.....I did some listening to the 430 today. Decided to hook up the Marantz 2230 and have to say it sounds much better than the 430. The biggest difference is the Marantz has a very warm sound to it. Wondering why there were such different results this time around.....I realized with the last comparison I did between the two I had the 2230 hooked up as a preamp only with a Marantz 1070 as the power amp. Big difference. I've done so much swapping of gear lately and I spaced out.

Again, of all the gear I've had restored recently...the 2230 was probably the biggest improvement. The 430 is without a doubt an awesome sounding unit. ...this is just my preference.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

You might look into a dbx 200 or 400 'route selector'.

They allow you to attach various items but still use just one input/output.

The only difference between the two is the 400 plugs in....but....  the ONLY reason it plugs in is to turn its lights on.  Both units are passive and the 400 can/will work without being plugged in. 

back when I had some dbx goodies, I used it (and still have it)

This 430 has been sold.

I have another 430 that is being restored and I'll possibly be putting it up for sale soon. It is practically identical to the other one.

What is done to the unit and what components are replaced when you get these units restored?  How would you characterize the improvement in sound after restoration?

I have 3 HK 430's, an HK 630, and an HK 505 integrated amp.  They all sound very good as-is (the 430 is the best sounding in the HK Twin Amp line IMO), but I have wondered what a restoration would involve and what improvements can be gained.

In the first post...there is a link to what he all does as far as the restoration goes.

My Marantz units that I had restored improved considerably (sound wise) as a result of the restoration. The HK 430 was not as dramatic but the owner before me had done some work to it but I don't know what he changed.

• Like 1