Refreshing my Pioneer PL-512

sean5340

The Blue is nice. Are you going to leave it like that, or do a high gloss?

I redid my 2 plinths on my Dual 1229Q and Dual 701. The 1229Q I redid in a high gloss black, and the 701 was done in Mahogany stain and then a high gloss clear coat. I may get another 1 or 2 plinths and try the candy apple red now after more thought, or some other really funky color.

The picture isn't really good as it was taken at night on my camera, but here they are.

post-59264-0-19400000-1454852172_thumb.j post-59264-0-30600000-1454852375_thumb.j post-59264-0-09920000-1454852397_thumb.j

Edited by Jim

You should be able to polish up the platter some as well. Are you going to put the original feet back on,or get upgrades as well? Some nice over sized feet would be real nice. I can help you spend money for upgrades if you'd like,lol.

What cartridge are you going to be using on it when finished?

Unfortunately, Dual tables are very bland with their cheap plinths. I thought of getting upgraded ones built.

I will definitely post after pics. It will be finished with a clear acrylic and polished to (hopefully) a mirror finish. The final paint coat is drying as we speak.

As far as carts go, I would like to try the Denon DL-110. I only have mm input on my receiver though. I wonder if the 1.6mV output would do?

The original feet are in very nice condition and worked very well when it was in use before. I'll stick with those for now.

This turntable sounded surprisingly good with a Shure M97xE and Lascalas. The JBL 4311s are way more laid back, that's why I'm cart hunting.

Edit: Wrong cart.

Edited by sean5340
  • Like 1

The DL-110 will work on the table, I had it, but thought it was to laid back. Another member on here has it and loves it on 2 of his tables. Being it's high output MC it will work on a MM Phono Pre. Your receiver will work with it, but if you were to add on a MC/MM Phono Pre like a Cambridge Audio 651P, you'd be able to use both sides. And the Cambridge Audio is going for I think $169 on Accessories 4 Less and Ebay as well.  I have the 551P and it's extremely quiet and puts out a 36db boost. The 651 does I think 36db in MM and 56/60 db in MC.

If you do decide to do the Denon, get it through Ebay and direct from Japan, $174.99 and free shipping with a 14 day return policy, no questions asked. I just returned mine about 9 days ago.

I personally thought my Ortofon Super OM40, Ortofon VMS 30E MKII,Stanton 681EEE, Stanton 881S sounded much better than the Denon, but that's just me. Krispy Kirk is the other member who had the Denon. You can ask him what he likes about it.

Also, maybe look at the Shure V15 with a VN35E stylus. I just purchased the Shure V15III VN35E and am getting the Jico SAS VN35E stylus with it as an add on. I have been told it has a little more pop than the M97XE

But definitely go through Ebay if you don't mind them as the price is probably the cheapest you'll find and it has a return policy with no added fees.

Jim, do you have any experience with the AT 440MLA? Maybe it's not as laid back. I was also considering this one.

Sorry I don't. I tried about 5-6 of the AT cartridges and wound up getting rid of them. I've tried a few in the 10**,11**,12** series.

Maybe look at Jico's site for the SAS (Super Analog Stylus) for your Shure M97XE as well if you still have it.

Edited by Jim