Anyone use Class D or Hypex module amps?

joeinid

I may be crazy but I did an impulse buy of these Nord One Hypex Amplifiers by iQ Speakers.

http://www.iqspeakers.co.uk/#!hypex-amps/avuyk

http://www.iqspeakers.co.uk/#!product-page/onbar/c9c31e89-cc60-19a6-a18e-4612342e130b

I ordered the upgraded model One Nord amps with the Sparkos op amp. The Sparkos op amps are supposed to add Texture and Warmth.

post-62038-0-87140000-1454718317_thumb.p

Edited by joeinid

I have seen the Wyred and have experience with Class D amps in the avr.  You need to give us a short review on your impression once you get things dialed in. :)

I am tentatively hoping to see them by the end of next week and I am sure they will need a little break in time as well. I will absolutely let you guys know what I think.

Add texture?

Not sure I would want to add granularity... perhaps separation of layers was meant?

That was what the blurb on their website. Don't read anything negative into it. I am sure from what I've been told by owners that they are FAR from grainy and actually smooth and slightly sweet. EXACTLY what I am looking for in an amp.

Stay tuned.....

Here is a link to someone who has the standard op amp and will be posting about a different op amp soon.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=139002.msg1486509#msg1486509

Of the higher end amplifiers, I only have Class D, IcePower and Pioneer D3 (IcePower derivative) left.  Tubes and Class A are gone.

Heard the NEC Ncores and they sound very good also.  Being in the US, I'm surprised you purchased those.  They look nice and the dollar conversion may be good now.

From what I have read about the amp modules, it is a toss up between the major types, IcePower, Ncore, and Pascal..  Nobody can agree which sounds better.  I know my Bel Canto REF-1000s are here for the long haul.  Even my Pioneer SC1222 sounds quite good with D3.  

The key will be how your upstream components and speaker impedance matches up.  No matter what anyone tells you, the speaker appears to have more of an impact on the sound of a Classs D amplifier than on a very high quality A/B.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Thank you Peter.

The world seems smaller now because of the internet and this company came highly recommended to me, so I took a chance.

The conversion rate on the amps I purchased ended up costing me almost $2288.

From amount $2,287.96 USD To amount £1,534.00 GBP Exchange rate: 1 U.S. Dollar = 0.670466 British Pounds

Not inexpensive but way less expensive than other options in the long run and supposedly as good or even better sonically.

I just received an update that they may be shipped Monday. As soon as I get tracking info, I'll know more.

Edited by joeinid

Thank you Peter!

Colin (the owner of the company?) has been extremely responsive and even refunded some shipping charges when I ordered a set of cables the next evening. He's going to put them in the amp boxes. I did not expect any refund or any extra compensation but he did it right away. All around, so far, Colin has been a pleasure to deal with. I think I will be a happy camper.

More to come.....

Pzannucci - I'm scared to death to rid myself of Class A SS and/or tubes for Class D, Class T(tripath), gain clone, etc. Although the Claa A monos are eating me out of house and home energy wise. I tried a Wyred amp a few years ago and it was nothing I felt the need to keep. But I've been thinking that way again with the many advances over the last few years. I do like the idea of keeping Class D fired up 24/7 and ready to play. I have tried that with Class A for maybe two-three-four days straight and my power bill goes up nearly 20%. And as good as I felt Class A sounded with my KHorns I'm slowing realizing tubes are actually the better fit.

• Like 1

Pzannucci - I'm scared to death to rid myself of Class A SS and/or tubes for Class D, Class T(tripath), gain clone, etc. Although the Claa A monos are eating me out of house and home energy wise. I tried a Wyred amp a few years ago and it was nothing I felt the need to keep. But I've been thinking that way again with the many advances over the last few years. I do like the idea of keeping Class D fired up 24/7 and ready to play. I have tried that with Class A for maybe two-three-four days straight and my power bill goes up nearly 20%. And as good as I felt Class A sounded with my KHorns I'm slowing realizing tubes are actually the better fit.

For me, tubes truly satisfy like no other amps. My problem is that I love to have music playing usually 10-12 hours a day. I know, a little excessive but it can be very relaxing and mood enhancing. Obviously I don't always listen critically but I am hoping these amps, the Nord One UP, bridge the gap and tick all the right boxes. Fingers crossed.

Went to Class D a year or two after the REF-1000s came out.  As far as IcePower is concerned, supposedly the more power the better.  After months of break in and leaving them on 24/7, they sound very good.  I do have a set of Murano Audio 500's and Murano 200s (same modules as Bel Canto REF-500 and the S300 and mono versions - Wyred also).

joeinid,

First they need to be left on forever with a very long break-in.  Don't forget clean power.  Also matching is definitely an issue no matter what some say.  I did find out that there are differences in the way all the different amps present music.  With KLF-30s the 200s worked well, really good on RB-5s.  Khorns, a lot of bass but kind of one note.  Then on the top, the 1000s have better and cleaner sonics for mid and highs but the bass is more lean.  More true with every speaker I tried but a little more lean.   They won't be lush through the mids but other traits will possibly convince you to stay with Class D.

richieb,

If you can find a used pair of 500 watt IcePower amps (1000w 4 ohm), you might like them.  Buy used or new breaking them in and leaving them on for a long time.  Also run them balanced.  Makes a big difference in my opinion.  You won't miss the tube sound or heat though I still would like to have a tube amp again, just because.

My thoughts anyway.  Class D, such as other topographies, may not be for everyone.

Hi Everyone!

FIRST A FEW FACTS, so you can better understand my question.

I have been a Lascala Owner for about 2 yrs.  I was afforded the high honor of listening to Khorns being driven by Yamaha M80 Vintage amp,  ( ~ 260watts)    I NOW WANT KHORNS!!!!

>>Anyway, I AM WONDERING ABOUT POWER & HOW MUCH IS SAFE  VS WHAT MAKES FOR BETTER SOUND. 

With my back ground in electronics I understand that any device will only pull the amount of power it was designed to pull.

I also understand that you can turn up the power to insane amounts ( for that particular ) device and burn/ruin it.

I see  Khorns are rated to use 100 watts continuos and 400 peak.   ( not that one would ever listen at that level for sure) 

I also think that when the woofer needs power to move that air, it needs a great deal more than more mid and tweeter. 

1. Does it work that way?

2. If one were to connect a pair of 600 watt mono blocks ( in search of that holy grail of ultimate sound) , would that give more headroom than a 200W amp?

............ As long as the 600w mono blocks were not turned up to far,  would it be safe to use on Khorns?

My thinking is during peak passages where the mid and tweeter were needing 5~10 watts ( to reproduce their frequency range) ..... the Tympani hit would need 100 ~ 200 watts for that brief split second to reproduce the music faithfully. 

SO.... If the 600 mono blocks were not being pushed, the almost limitless headroom the speaker electronics were demanding  could result in great fidelity and so on and so forth. 

Tomorrow afternoon the amps will have been running for the week straight. Already notice some changes for the better. Overall, these are right up there with some of the best amps I've heard for low level late night listening. The noise floor is so low, it's nonexistent. Everything can be clearly heard. Amazing. If anything bothers me, it usually a bite or sibilant vocal. Treble and vocals are getting very smooth. These have wonderful 3D, air, separation, and seemingly limitless power. Very impressive.

Edited by joeinid