Walking the dog and saw this happen.....

CindyJarvis

N5l4PR0.jpg

Directly in front of my house at 6:30am. The Lady driving was okay but a little shaken up. She was on her way to work and swerved to avoid another car. I live in the woods and it took about 20 minutes for help to arrive, good thing she seems okay.

-Cindy

Edited by CindyJarvis
  • Like 5

Tripped rollover is when the vehicle strikes an object, like a curb or another car.

Untripped is a vehicle rolling over with not outside influence..

(From Wikipedia)

Untripped rollovers occur when cornering forces destabilize the vehicle. As a vehicle rounds a corner, three forces act on it: tire forces (the centripetal force), inertial effects (the centrifugal force), and gravity. The cornering forces from the tire push the vehicle towards the center of the curve. This force acts at ground level, below the center of mass. The force of inertia acts horizontally through the vehicle's center of mass away from the center of the turn. These two forces make the vehicle roll towards the outside of the curve. The force of the vehicle's weight acts downward through the center of mass in the opposite direction. When the tire and inertial forces are enough to overcome the force of gravity, the vehicle starts to turn over.

N5l4PR0.jpg

Directly in front of my house at 6:30am. The Lady driving was okay but a little shaken up. She was on her way to work and swerved to avoid another car. I live in the woods and it took about 20 minutes for help to arrive, good thing she seems okay.

-Cindy

How fast do you have to go to flip a car? I would bet she was going a little too fast for roads that are covered by a sheet of ice. I have seen another car flip years back but that was at highway speeds, 60-70mph.

I don't want to hear any "female driver" jokes please :P

-Cindy

Welcome Cindy!!

I rolled a 3/4 ton Diesel Chevy Silverado nose first a few years back going about 80mph :)

Stupid Cat :)

Roger

Did the car slide a ways after it flipped?  I flipped a car once going about 60 mph (fell asleep at the wheel - the road turned and I when straight).  I slid on my roof for several seconds before coming to a stop.  I walked away with only some broken glass impacted into my scalp.

I don't know about that story.  When you hit the brakes hard  or turn too hard on snow/ice you don't flip, you slide, sometimes turning but not flipping 180 degrees (backwards) or more.

I would guess her right front wheel or probably wheels both went down into that ditch flipping the car upside down.  See how deep in snow the driver's side is?  She's in a ditch.  Cindy can confirm.

I have no idea how the drivers side door got banged up, to get upside down it should have been the drivers side door.

That space-saver tire on the driver's side front probably didn't help.  That is not the stock steel wheel.  The vehicle looks like a Honda Civic.

+++

Cindy: Welcome.  :)

Cindy:  You were out walking the dog on a snowy, icy busy road.  What the heck where you thinking?  :rolleyes:

Edited by wvu80

How fast do you have to go to flip a car? I would bet she was going a little too fast for roads that are covered by a sheet of ice. I have seen another car flip years back but that was at highway speeds, 60-70mph.

I don't want to hear any "female driver" jokes please :P

-Cindy

Welcome Cindy.  Are Blond Jokes OK?

If you want to make jokes about me it is OK.

I was in a roll over doing about 20mph once.

john