Bose does something good........

oscarsear

There's more to the story, there has to be, it looks too good to be true.

A suspension that good would be worth a fortune to any off road racer or rider, car, truck or motorcycle.

Edited by wvu80

A suspension that good would be worth a fortune to any off road racer or rider, car, truck or motorcycle.

Something about too much weight??

The first Race Motorcycle parts that I made weighed pounds rather than oz. It adds up.

I don't see anyone else's suspension bumping a 2x4....or spike strips.. :ph34r:

The difference looks to be the way it was implemented more than anything,

GM's suspension can do the same thing its just they probably don't want it to for safety reasons.

I want a suspension that will leapfrog me in front of the Darwin Award candidate who is stopped and texting at a green light....Better yet, leapfrog me over the ones coming head on.  

• Like 1

I don't see anyone else's suspension bumping a 2x4....or spike strips.. :ph34r:

The difference looks to be the way it was implemented more than anything,

GM's suspension can do the same thing its just they probably don't want it to for safety reasons.

I want a suspension that will leapfrog me in front of the Darwin Award candidate who is stopped and texting at a green light....Better yet, leapfrog me over the ones coming head on.  

Just install a beefy hydraulic suspension similar to the ones the low riders use. :)

When I was stationed in the UK between 1978, and 1981)... Rover used to advertise their active suspension too. The commercial I remember was the car (a sedan that they were also using at the time as a Police Car) was heading toward a cliff and a tire blew ( or something that might cause you to lose control or go off the cliff), and the car continued on as if nothing ever happened, and avoided going off the cliff.

Edited by ellisr63

The failure modes of a fully-active suspension are typically spectacular and catastrophic. The systems employed in cars of the last decade are a cost/safety compromise.

How so? How would it be anymore catastrophic than a leaf spring breaking? Or a coil spring breaking or coming out of its cup? Or a strut bending or breaking?

I rarely see failures of the suspension, it's typically with the pump output pressure. Most failures are with rather simple air ride suspensions.. As the bellows rupture or leak.

Via hydraulic or electronic failure. Which in a fully-active system, like the Bose depicted, not only terminates any damping capability, but also ride height. Critical to maintaining any semblance of control.

For compare, when adaptive systems like Magnaride and other similar implementations fail, damping is only partially impaired and ride height is fully maintained.

One of the single biggest hurdles in the adaptation of high performance linear actuators by industry is not how they perform, but rather how they fail.

Active suspension (a form of hydraulic control) is not new and has roots dating all the way back to the industrial revolution.

Popularity in vehicular applications, like everything else, stems from the progressive reductions in cost and packaging.

What's not shown in the videos is the interior of the cars laden with so much telemetry and sensory gear that the driver hardly has any room. :blink:

Yes, this stuff was very hot in the 90's...along with Pamela Anderson and Cindy Crawford.

Edited by Quiet_Hollow