Updated Quartets

Grizzog

About 6 or so months ago, I bought a set of Quartets from the original owner. They were a little tired looking, so some restore a finish and feed n wax brought their finish back. Highs were slightly off, so I put in Crites' titanium tweeters. This made them much smoother. After 6 months of play, there was a bit of harshness present and detail missing that I was noticing. A few days ago I updated the crossovers with the full Crites build.

For anyone wondering if they should freshen up their older crossovers, the answer is yes. These really brought the speakers back to life and now they will last another 25+ years. The detail that has been brought back is astonishing. The detail comes close to the La Scala II. The highs are back that were severely rolled off on mine as well. Probably due to the cleaner presentation, it sounds like there may be a bit more, and snappier bass too.

I will need to compare these to my Heresy III now to see which I prefer. I'm pretty sure the Quartets will have the edge with the larger tractrix mid horn. I did compare them with my Altec 19, which is probably not a fair fight. They can't compete with speakers that are that much larger, but they are no slouch. The Quartets don't have the presence of the 19, but the detail is pretty close between the two. Tonally, they are quite different, but that may be a matter of preference.

Just wanted to share my experience and let anyone that's on the fence of upgrading know that I highly recommend it.

747f572ebd65040ba8f6479ef0188d7b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5