Receiver, Rear/Side surrounds

iaclimber4

Hello community!

Newbie here building my home theater system, have read through the forums and have assembled as follows: up front sits two RP280F, RP450C, and R112SW (more for musical taste and have neighbors).  Current rear surround RP250S.  Looking to expand the setup.  As it stands, my bose 601 IV are my side surrounds.  Pales in comparison to the rest of the system.

So question is do I get another set up RP 250S for the L/R surround, or move the current 250S to side and place the 160M bookshelf speakers as rear surrounds?  Room has high ceilings and is open in the back to the kitchen.

Lastly, looking to upgrade receiver.  While music will be primary, I do watch a lot of movies.  That said, I'm not looking for any crazy setups...7.1 or 7.2 is probably where i'll max out. 

I'm not looking for power, just good clean audio with decent features.  This is what I'm looking at:

Denon AVRX4200W

Marantz 5010, 7008, 7009

Onkyo TXNR838

Currently running on a Onkyo TX-SR606 for the last 8 years or so, have loved it thus far.

Appreciate the help!

That particular Dennon offers Audyssey Platinum like the 7009, but also has 2 triggers, 3 zones, and is HDCP 2.2 compliant for video - unlike the others.

Accessories for Less had them for $999 before the holidays, but now offer a 3 year warranty on them @ $1099.

Good Luck with your eventual decision.

Welcome to the forum.  Not to steer you away for Denon but, some other brands are really nice. Here is a great buy for under $800.  These are very clean, great room correction and plenty of power. http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SC-85-9-2-Channel-Network-Receiver/dp/B00LIQ3HXC

Edited by derrickdj1

As with any receiver question asked here, you're going to get answers based on what each of us has. So, you're best bet is to try and find somewhere to listen to those you have listed and pick the one you like best. Since you mentioned power isn't important, then simply pick the one with the features and sound you like best. Any of those listed should suit your needs just fine.

I was in the same boat as you recently. I wanted a receiver that was for music first and movies second. I received a number of excellent suggestions but ultimately went with a Cambridge Audio 551r from accessories4less. My suggestion would be to find a local audio shop using your favorite search engine then go and take a listen. I have not heard the RP250F so I can't comment.

Thanks for the recs.  I ended up doing the RP-250F as the surrounds, placed on some old pioneer cabinet speakers so above ear level when sitting.  For the receiver I'm really happy with the Marantz SR5010.    I couldn't be more thrilled.  I started with the opening sequence of "Dark Knight Rises" and went on to watching "The Martian".  The audio from rear to front is seamless.

For music, wow!  Especially with all channels driven.  talk about room filling sound :)