holy huge subwoofer

calhockey10

I agree with Jason. It was not built with the right type of plywood, or the right thickness.

3/4" Baltic Birch looks like this:

s-l300.jpg

He used this:

58716522-fb44-4fb0-89c0-c055acc4cd6f_300

He should have used this:

GOyultVl.jpg

BB plywood is heavy, void free, and the 1/2" stuff is 9 ply. The 3/4 stuff is 13 ply.

The driver door isn't very well secured and the amp is in an enclosure that probably isn't big enough to let it stay cool.

• Like 1

How low does it play, and what is it's acoustic output?
When they're built correctly Fc is 22-25Hz depending on width and driver used. In a typical living space, usable in-room response can dip down to 16-18 Hz and accepts mild EQ boost below Fc.

Acoustic output varies according to construction and setup, but they can get scary loud.

The one I built does 117 dB SPL (from 20Hz to crossover) at the listening position all day long....from a single 12" driver into a 4600 cu foot room.

The wider versions produce even more output.

• Like 1

When using 3/4 plywood to build one of these you have to add to the size of your sides (36" x 36") 1/4" for every panel from the inside out on the standard THT and adjust your layout for compensation.

Its a lot of extra work and not needed in any way, just follow the plans they are very detailed.

How low does it play, and what is it's acoustic output?
When they're built correctly Fc is 22-25Hz depending on width and driver used. In a typical living space, usable in-room response can dip down to 16-18 Hz and accepts mild EQ boost below Fc.

Acoustic output varies according to construction and setup, but they can get scary loud.

The one I built does 117 dB SPL (from 20Hz to crossover) at the listening position all day long....from a single 12" driver into a 4600 cu foot room.

The wider versions produce even more output.

Its best not to EQ below Fc but i could see it for lower level listening.

The 24"+ THT or THTLP should reach 126-127 dB with the recommended 15", the wider the flatter the response.